Mighty Member

Default Scenario: Batcrew as Benders

At some point, a capricious being elects to grant the (Post-Crisis, Pre-Flashpoint) Bat-crew A:tLA/LoK style bending at a level proportional to their close-combat proficiently level*.

(*: Yes that means Cass is, if not at White-Lotus Grandmaster Tier, not that far below. Whereas Tim, Steph, etc. are... nothing to sneeze at either by any stretch even if they are not matching her.)

How does Wayne's far-less-dysfunctional-than-it-should-be-all-things-considered family adjust if they are all:
    • Waterbenders
    • Earthbenders
    • Firebenders
    • Airbenders

Bonus, considering personalities and overall fighting styles... what bending art would fit each?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by heretic View Post
    At some point, a capricious being elects to grant the (Post-Crisis, Pre-Flashpoint) Bat-crew A:tLA/LoK style bending at a level proportional to their close-combat proficiently level*.

(*: Yes that means Cass is, if not at White-Lotus Grandmaster Tier, not that far below. Whereas Tim, Steph, etc. are... nothing to sneeze at either by any stretch even if they are not matching her.)

How does Wayne's far-less-dysfunctional-than-it-should-be-all-things-considered family adjust if they are all:
    • Waterbenders
    • Earthbenders
    • Firebenders
    • Airbenders

Bonus, considering personalities and overall fighting styles... what bending art would fit each?
    You mean they don't turn into Bender Bending Rodreguez?

Idk but I wanna see earthbending Bruce vs clayface.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heretic View Post
    I'm sure you're aware, but it's a good time to point out that Cass very specifically doesn't have a fighting style, and flat-out thinks that styles are dumb*. So it's rather hard to say.

* reason #32 why I like her.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Am I the only one who saw the title and thought that this thread would be about the Batfamily being transformed into wisecracking, booze-guzzling robots?
    The CBR Community Standards & Rules - Your Guide to Being a Member

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Nah, Howard and I are with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Allan View Post
    You mean they don't turn into Bender Bending Rodreguez?

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Allan View Post
    You mean they don't turn into Bender Bending Rodr[i]guez?
    Wrong franchise, pay attention.
    Clearly:

David Zavimbe is Kwame - Earth
    Cassandra Cain is Gi - Water
    Jason Todd is Wheeler - Fire
    Stephanie Brown is Linka - Air
    and BatHombre is Ma-Ti who forms the head!

and when their vehicles combine they form the mighty BATRON!

Last edited by Güicho; 07-04-2019 at 03:45 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Wrong franchise, pay attention.

Clearly:

David Zavim is Kwame - Earth
    Cassandra Cain is Gi - Water
    Jason Todd is Wheeler - Fire
    Stephanie Brown is Linka - Air
    and BatHombre is Ma-Ti who forms the head!

and when their vehicles combine they form the mighty BATRON!

Also? I'm just glad you didn't give them Dragonball Z-style martial arts skills. Godprep Batman is annoying enough without having actual chi-derived powers to clobber Superman with.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I'm sure you're aware, but it's a good time to point out that Cass very specifically doesn't have a fighting style, and flat-out thinks that styles are dumb*. So it's rather hard to say.

So, Avatar with quicker-than-average Learning Curve then?

If you wanted to go with that, it would make sense based on where she sits among the Bat-crew.

Or no bending ability at all, just bullet-time speed and pressure points. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    Am I the only one who saw the title and thought that this thread would be about the Batfamily being transformed into wisecracking, booze-guzzling robots?
    Surprisingly, given my love of Avatar and Korra, that's where my mind went too...
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Well you still need the "moves". And if you're doing all the same moves as a style, what separates it from being that style?

I mean the mindset and philosophy behind the bending styles may be useful for teaching it to people, but we see that they aren't really NECESSARY based on how many alternate philosophies there are.

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Well you still need the "moves". And if you're doing all the same moves as a style, what separates it from being that style?
    First of all, 'the [basic] moves' are pretty much the same style to style. Fundamentals are fundamentals, regardless of what people might want to tell you. Specific techniques? Do not make up a 'style'. A 'style' is the aggregate techniques, forms (if any), weapons, possibly philosophy, possibly rules (I'm looking at you, sports-styles), along with training methods, tactics, perspectives on how a fight should progress, etc. <-- real life much of this can boil down to 'the school and teacher', but let's go with styles as presented in fiction.

So being trained in 'styles' (especially in fiction) tends to lock people into those styles.

Batman (and other luminaries) get past this in fiction by training in a crapton of styles.

According to Cass, she (and Shiva, as an example) don't do this at all, going past the whole 'cross-training' thing. Styles are unimportant to them; they just learn, incorporate, and continue onward.

Cass seems to do what's appropriate at the time. If that happens to dovetail with a specific thing someone has shown her from a specific style, fair enough, but it's not her go-to, nor is it part of some overall stylistic tactic or strategy; she just does it because it happens to be the proper thing to do. Whereas, to make things really basic, people who have trained to be 'boxers' will default to 'boxing'.

I mean the mindset and philosophy behind the bending styles may be useful for teaching it to people, but we see that they aren't really NECESSARY based on how many alternate philosophies there are.
    Absolutely. I'm not at all disputing this.

The post you quoted from me about 'Cass and Fighting Styles' is in answer to the OP:

It's a fun point that Cass has zero belief in 'styles' and thinks they're dumb. ^_^ Fighting style is...non-existent. Personality-wise, I don't see anything that would head her in a specific direction either, but I wasn't talking about that. It was a fun observation that I feel you're probably over-analyzing. If you have an idea what she would do here, I'd love to hear it.
    Why are we here?

First of all, 'the [basic] moves' are pretty much the same style to style. Fundamentals are fundamentals, regardless of what people might want to tell you.
    Oh, yes. But I was just commenting in the context of bending, where you needed specific Tia Chi moves or whatever to do the bending.

Specific techniques? Do not make up a 'style'. A 'style' is the aggregate techniques, forms (if any), weapons, possibly philosophy, possibly rules (I'm looking at you, sports-styles), along with training methods, tactics, perspectives on how a fight should progress, etc. <-- real life much of this can boil down to 'the school and teacher', but let's go with styles as presented in fiction.
    Ok, if that's how you're defining it, a lot of that is irrelevant to actual bending. They just teach it that way to make it easier for people to learn it. So in that case not having a style is doable.

Whereas, to make things really basic, people who have trained to be 'boxers' will default to 'boxing'.
    I've got imagine if you have magic water or fire powers, at some point you start to default to "use magic water/fire on it".