Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Cool Captain Marvel, Mary Marvel & Captain Marvel Jr.!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    From Mary's first appearance in Captain Marvel Adventures #18 (December 11, 1942)

Terrific cover of the Marvel Family!!!

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

From Mary Marvel's first solo feature in Wow Comics #9 (January 6, 1943):

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

From Mary Marvel's first solo feature in Wow Comics #9 (January 6, 1943):

Cool.
    I didn't know Mary got her powers from different people in her name than Billy. Makes her different.

Also didn't know she grew up rich. Opposite of Billy.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Cool.
    I didn't know Mary got her powers from different people in her name than Billy. Makes her different.
    See the thread https://community.cbr.com/showthread...s-power-source (which was mentioned / linked at the start of this thread).

Also didn't know she grew up rich. Opposite of Billy.
    All depends on how much Mary Marvel you've read pre-Geoff Johns.

See the thread https://community.cbr.com/showthread...s-power-source (which was mentioned / linked at the start of this thread).

All depends on how much Mary Marvel you've read pre-Geoff Johns.
    Unfortunately the only Captain Marvel stuff I've read was the Jerry Ordway Shazam special and the four issue mini series in the late 80' s I think it was.

Those were really good but beyond that haven't read anything. I do plan on reading them at one point. Right now im going through the Justice League of America run.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Unfortunately the only Captain Marvel stuff I've read was the Jerry Ordway Shazam special and the four issue mini series in the late 80' s I think it was.

Those were really good but beyond that haven't read anything. I do plan on reading them at one point. Right now im going through the Justice League of America run.
    I think most of the Post-Crisis Captain Marvel stuff is on DC Universe .

If you liked Ordway's Power of Shazam! graphic novel, you should check out his ongoing series of the same title that followed it. It ran for 47 issues in the mid-late 90s. The characters also appeared in occasional crossovers and things during that time period, which are also worth checking out, such as the "Supergirl Plus The Power of Shazam!" special, which had Mary teaming up with the non-Kryptonian Supergirl of the time.
    Just re-reading my old collection, filling in the occasional gap with back issues, not buying anything new.

Currently working my way through 1990's Flash, Impulse, and JLA, and occasional other related stuff.

If by "the four issue mini series in the late 80's" you mean the Roy Thomas-written Shazam: The New Beginning, I wasn't a big fan of that one.
    Didn't think it was a good move to make Billy a nephew of Dr. Sivana, nor did I like the relocation of the story to San Francisco. (But since Roy Thomas seemed to have a thing for California back then, . . . )

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think most of the Post-Crisis Captain Marvel stuff is on DC Universe .
    I.don't have DC Universe for numerous reasons. Lol.

I'll read it the way God intended comics to be read with good old floppies.

Quote Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
    If you liked Ordway's Power of Shazam! graphic novel, you should check out his ongoing series of the same title that followed it. It ran for 47 issues in the mid-late 90s. The characters also appeared in occasional crossovers and things during that time period, which are also worth checking out, such as the "Supergirl Plus The Power of Shazam!" special, which had Mary teaming up with the non-Kryptonian Supergirl of the time.
    I remember seeing the covers for that series and they were so good. They looked painted. As a kid I was disappointed to find out the inside wasn't the same.

It was great in the 90's to see Captain Marvel show up whenever there was a gathering of heroes.

I read the Supergirl-Linda Danvers (one of my favorite heroe's actually)+ Mary Marvel back then and remember liking it. It was drawn by Gary Frank. Forgot the writer.

BTW was Mary's white costume change originated in that series?

If by "the four issue mini series in the late 80's" you mean the Roy Thomas-written Shazam: The New Beginning, I wasn't a big fan of that one.
    Didn't think it was a good move to make Billy a nephew of Dr. Sivana, nor did I like the relocation of the story to San Francisco. (But since Roy Thomas seemed to have a thing for California back then, . . . )
    Yes. Shazam. The new beginning was the name.of it.

Billy being Sivana's nephew is an interesting twist. Didn't they also make Black Adam, Billy's parents friend, turned murderer in the Power of Shazam special?
    Last edited by WallyWestFlash; 08-07-2019 at 01:52 PM.

If you liked Ordway's Power of Shazam! graphic novel, you should check out his ongoing series of the same title that followed it. It ran for 47 issues in the mid-late 90s.
    Agreed. Ordway's run is one of the best series that Post-Crisis DCU has to offer.

The characters also appeared in occasional crossovers and things during that time period, which are also worth checking out, such as the "Supergirl Plus The Power of Shazam!" special, which had Mary teaming up with the non-Kryptonian Supergirl of the time.
    Speaking of crossover appearances during the mid-late 90's, my all-time favorite is World Without Grown-Ups. And even though it's very brief, I still love how Mary made her appearance:
    marymarvel8.jpg

I looked it up and it was Gary Frank who just did the cover. Manley was the artist and Peter David the writer. Man, it has been awhile. Still a really good issue.

RCO001 (1).jpg

half-page promo ad from Captain Marvel Adventures #26 (August 1943)

Spectacular Member

Here's a short story with Freddy and Mary from Sins ofYouth Secret Files and Origins
    Attached Images Attached Images

BANNED

The comicbook character Mary Marvel sporting a white colored costume with a lightning bolt, looks to me fine.