Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    By the way, have you seen this from Antarctic Press? They're getting in on the Public Domain Heroes schtick that Dynamite has been doing for years.

So, now DC can't even use "Mary Miracle" as a workaround.

That looks really cool. Is this out yet?

Also Exciting comics sounds like a real title from the 40's.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    That looks really cool. Is this out yet?

Also Exciting comics sounds like a real title from the 40's.

I don't believe this issue, #3, has come out yet, but it was in the June solicitations.

The Mary Miracle cover is a variant and priced at $9.99 rather than the $3.99 for the standard cover. Here are the details of the issue.

Exciting Comics now brings you four stories for the price of one! Bill Williams and Matthew Weldon, creators of the best-selling hit Punchline, bring you a teaser of their newest creation, Mary Miracle! Also this issue, the Golden Age classic Crimebuster is reborn, Madam Mask faces Gemini one last time in a climactic battle, and Black Jaq goes up against the Revenge Syndicate—and maybe in over her head!
    Here's extra solicitation for the Mary Miracle variant:

Marvel at this fantastic variant that'll strike your fancy like magic lightning! You can get your copy with one magic word (to us or your retailer): Please! But supplies won't last an eternity, so strike now to place your order!

As for the title, yes Exciting Comics is a Golden Age title from Nedor Comics, publisher of Black Terror among other heroes. In fact the logo shown on Antarctic's title is from Nedor's Golden Age Exciting Comics.

As for the title, yes Exciting Comics is a Golden Age title from Nedor Comics, publisher of Black Terror among other heroes. In fact the logo shown on Antarctic's title is from Nedor's Golden Age Exciting Comics.

Actually, Antarctic is using the revised logo that began with Nedor's issue 9.

Here's extra solicitation for the Mary Miracle variant:

Marvel at this fantastic variant that'll strike your fancy like magic lightning!
    Yeah I get reviving and reinventing defunct public domain properties, I actually enjoy that, but Mary is an active property.
    Don't know if DC/WB will pursue them or not? Might depend on how much traction it has. Yet there is no way that they can argue they were not trying to conflate the two properties. Even though it might be a completley different concept.
    Besides the obvious direct visual reference, which is a main selling point of comics, they also have all the direct nods and references in the name, and the solicitation. ^
    Not sure how anyone feels creative doing this. It's not a parody either.

It's like they know they cant sell it on it's own merits, and know they haven't come up with something unique looking themselves, They are admitting that alone there is nothing interesting about this character or anything they've created, and are saying the most interesting thing about her is the similarity to Mary Marvel, what they "created" isn't worth selling on it's own.

Which just seems creatively bankrupt.
    This isn't a causal creative overlap, cause they are channeling similar great ideas. They are just straight up utilizing Mary Marvel to sell this.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-11-2019 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Yeah I get reviving and reinventing defunct properties, I actually enjoy that, but Mary is an active property.
    Don't know if DC/WB will pursue them or not? Might depend on how much traction it has. Yet there is no way that they can argue they were not trying to conflate the two properties. Even though it might be a completley different concept.
    Besides the obvious direct visual reference, which is a main selling point of comics, they also have all the direct nods and references in the name, and the solicitation.
    Not sure how anyone feels creative doing this. It's not a parody either.

It's like they cant sell it on it's own merits, or come up with something unique looking, They are admitting alone there is nothing interesting about this character or anything they've created, the only thing interesting about is the similarity to Mary Marvel.
    It irks me, too. It all stems from the fact that DC has been known to have "given up" on Captain Marvel as a name. If they would just stop being so shy about it and give everyone a definitive name years ago, I don't think anyone would be trying this.

Speaking of which, Johns' Shazam book has them referring to themselves as the Shazam Family thanks to Darla and I don't like it. I think they should still be called the Marvel family. John even has Billy try to name himself Captain Marvel before he's cut off.

Mary in that book hasn't fallen on a name yet, but I really hope Johns sticks with Mary Marvel.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I don't think DC ever technically abandoned the Marvel Family.

SNIP!
    I understand, but I don't count "collected" editions, since they are just reprints (which I get anyway). I AM glad that we do have a new series, believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    I understand, but I don't count "collected" editions, since they are just reprints (which I get anyway). I AM glad that we do have a new series, believe me.
    However, I believe those collected editions can still count towards a company protecting their rights to a property like Mary Marvel.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Admittedly even I can say it's not a bad-looking costume (albeit pretty much asking for fanservice shots), but definitely far from my favorite period for mary.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Look at the short, short skirt. Yeah, Mary is a bad girl there, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Admittedly even I can say it's not a bad-looking costume (albeit pretty much asking for fanservice shots), but definitely far from my favorite period for mary.
    Definitely agree. However, Bruce Timm can certainly make things a bit more palatable (IMHO).
    Last edited by K7P5V; 07-17-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Spectacular Member

al rio.jpgAl-Rio-SupermanMM.jpg
    Mary Marvel by Al Rio

Quote Originally Posted by SelinaK12 View Post
    That makes me think of this (from 1978):