Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Ms Mary
    Ms Shaz
    She-Shaz

All awlful names! Please do not use any of these for Mary!

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Shezam.

(just kidding. Let's not give DC any ideas.)
    Ohhh! That's even worse than mine! I love it!

You're right. We shouldn't give DC any ideas.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I hated evil Mary as much as the next guy, but in her defense she *was* under the influence of one of the Apokolips New Gods. Desaad, I think it might've been? And before that, in Countdown, wasn't it Black Adam who twisted her mind with corrupted power? So she wasn't really herself. It's basically just one big long "hero gets mind controlled" story, and every hero has gone through that.

But gods, it was awful.

Hey, do we know what Mary and Freddy (and the other kids) are calling themselves now that Billy isn't Captain Marvel anymore? Mary Shazam? She-Shazam?
    If I remember correctly, I believe Mary, Freddy, and maybe Billy all lost their powers. I know Mary did. And she became desperate to get her power back, which led her to Black Adam who decided to share his power with her. And that power ended up corrupting her.

Then there was Final Crisis, which I like to pretend never happened because it made no damn sense.

She should still go by Mary Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    It seems DC has been trying to play nice and not use the "Marvel" name for any of their characters -- even on the inside pages (although Grant Morrison just brought back Marvel Maid in Green Lantern, she was already dead when seen).

But if they do decide to just throw caution to the wind and use Mary Marvel, then maybe the others can be Billy Marvel, Freddy Marvel, Darla Marvel, Eugene Marvel, and Pedro Marvel.

Unless, they name them after their costume colors! Red Marvel, Blue Marvel, White Marvel (for Mary), Violet Marvel, Grey Marvel, and Green Marvel.

Problem solved. Yeah, either set is stupid, but I don't think they're going to come up with anything better.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 07-08-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Agreed. Mary Marvel just works so well. It fits with the character in both of her identities and sounds good as well. I think.it's better than. Captain Marvel even.

If anyone needs a name change its Freddy. Captain Marvel JR just sounds like a cheaper version of CM. And not very original either.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

It seems DC has been trying to play nice and not use the "Marvel" name for any of their characters -- even on the inside pages (although Grant Morrison just brought back Marvel Maid in Green Lantern, she was already dead when seen).

But if they do decide to just throw caution to the wind and use Mary Marvel, then maybe the others can be Billy Marvel, Freddy Marvel, Darla Marvel, Eugene Marvel, and Pedro Marvel.

Unless, they name them after their costume colors! Red Marvel, Blue Marvel, White Marvel (for Mary), Violet Marvel, Grey Marvel, and Green Marvel.

Problem solved. Yeah, either set is stupid, but I don't think they're going to come up with anything better.
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Agreed. Mary Marvel just works so well. It fits with the character in both of her identities and sounds good as well. I think.it's better than. Captain Marvel even.

If anyone needs a name change its Freddy. Captain Marvel JR just sounds like a cheaper version of CM. And not very original either.
    Her name is way better than Captain Marvel, for sure. It rolls off the tongue better, it sounds better, it's a fun name to say and it reflects her so well. I think it's silly that DC should feel that they have to change everyone since they changed Billy's name. She should still be Mary Marvel!

Couldn't have said it better myself, I love the name Mary Marvel.

Maybe Freddy can go back to CM3.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Maybe Freddy can go back to CM3.
    Or "Li'l Shazam!" might work?

By the way, have you seen this from Antarctic Press? They're getting in on the Public Domain Heroes schtick that Dynamite has been doing for years.

So, now DC can't even use "Mary Miracle" as a workaround.

By the way, have you seen this from Antarctic Press? They're getting in on the Public Domain Heroes schtick that Dynamite has been doing for years.

So, now DC can't even use "Mary Miracle" as a workaround.

I'm surprised by that.

Unlike other Golden Age characters that had fallen into public domain, I didn't think a character like Mary Marvel could be copied that blatantly by another copy in any new comic book stories (based on the looks and the costuming) since DC had established their rights to the character and her likeness.

I had thought that when it came to the Marvel Family, it was just the old stories that were public domain, not the concepts / character-likenesses.

Wow that is blatant, if they haven't begun already, I'm sure DC/WB lawyers will pursue this one.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-09-2019 at 06:20 PM.

I agree, it's a little weird that they'd try to replicate Mary so hard. Honestly, I hope DC does fight this and then continues to use Mary Marvel. I'm willing to die on this hill, that name cannot be replaced!

Incredible Member

I agree, it's a little weird that they'd try to replicate Mary so hard. Honestly, I hope DC does fight this and then continues to use Mary Marvel. I'm willing to die on this hill, that name cannot be replaced!
    ...And I STILL blame DC, particularly under Didio's leadership, for not taking care of the SHAZAM! property. Geoff Johns needed to be consulted, fine, but having an annual for the Marvel Family would be more than enough to keep the character in the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    ...And I STILL blame DC, particularly under Didio's leadership, for not taking care of the SHAZAM! property. Geoff Johns needed to be consulted, fine, but having an annual for the Marvel Family would be more than enough to keep the character in the eye.
    I don't think DC ever technically abandoned the Marvel Family.

There were still things like Billy Batson & the Magic of Shazam! that ran from 2008-2010; the two DC Comics Presents: Shazam! 100-Page Spectaculars in 2010; the two issues of Convergence: Shazam! in 2015; the one-shot Justice League: Darkseid War: Shazam! #1 at the end of 2015; plus a multitude of Shazam! collected editions (hardcover and tpb) over the years as well.