Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The problem is price inflation, not the amount of comics coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Ain't that the truth!
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Astonishing Member

You'd think after all these decades they would know the negative impact of flooding the market.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

I've never heard anyone say there is too much music or movies or books or any other media but comic books.
    Baby Thanos

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    Did you ever just try getting a book that doesn't stand out to you?

I never knew anything about or cared about the characters Hawkeye (Kate Bishop) or Jessica Jones, but I got those series by Kelly Thompson and they were very entertaining. I also tried the digital Cloak and Dagger without knowing anything and also enjoyed that. Same with Unstoppable Wasp.

For comparison, comics that I enjoy the most are Venom, Hulk, Guardians of the Galaxy, Cosmic Ghost Rider, etc. so they aren't series that someone would be able to predict that I would like.
    I think as fans it is important to remember sometimes that some of our favorite characters at one point started out as a something we didn't know much of anything about, that we took a chance on. One of my first superhero faves was Nightcrawler, and aside from like one episode of the animated series, at the time there was not much about him outside of the comics, so he was just the weird looking blue guy on the covers, and I took a chance on him, and loved him. It's fine to have favorites, and to follow their adventures. But it's also cool to be on the lookout for potential new favorites. And I mean sometimes that can also be a new take on an old character that you previously didn't care for, too, that was the way it was with Loki for me. Villain Loki... enh... Ok, as bad guys go, I guess, but not something I was particularly interested in. JIM onwards, where he got totally revamped? Hel yes. But that required me taking a chance on a new take on a character I had previously not cared much for. (this was a bit before the movies, mind you)
    Last edited by Raye; 06-30-2019 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    This is true but there are too many books with Spider-man in them. Each character should only star in one solo book. This goes for Wolverine as well. There shouldn’t be six titles named X-men or Avengers. That kind of stuff hurts the sales for their other titles. I think as many characters as possible should be given a chance to have a title.
    Last edited by nnelg; 06-30-2019 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    I've never heard anyone say there is too much music or movies or books or any other media but comic books.
    consumers of other media don't get aroused by the idea of those industries collapsing in on themselves and being swallowed by a black hole
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    This is true but there are too many books with Spider-man in them. Each character should only star in one solo book. This goes for Wolverine as well. There shouldn’t be six titles named X-men or Avengers. That kind of stuff hurts the sales for their other titles. I think as many characters as possible should be given a chance to have a title.
    Getting rid of a Spidey book doesn't mean its readers will all pony up for a book starting Annex or Nightwatch.

There's no reason for Marvel to not publish the comics that prove the most profitable.

-Pav, who doesn't love overuse either but...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    You'd think after all these decades they would know the negative impact of flooding the market.
    How does it hurt???

Remember the comic book store is NOT the only place to get a comic book.

If it was a LOT of books (mainly POC, LGBTQ, women, odd ball titles & C-Z list white guys) would be in trouble and at the mercy of cherry picking comic book stores.

That kind of stuff hurts the sales for their other titles. I think as many characters as possible should be given a chance to have a title.
    Peter Parker having 4 books does NOT hurt other titles.

What would you do about a book a store DOES NOT want not sell?

What about a book that a store struggles to sale?

If I want a Peter Parker title I don't bother with the comic book store shelf. I wait till it hits BINS. In fact the last time I paid cover price for one of his books was before some show called Star Trek Deep Space 9 started.
    I can list PLENTY of folks whose books I have via bins. Shuri #10 will be the LAST Marvel book I pay cover price for. Miles & Riri was monthly subscriptions at discounts from Marvel.

I rather take a shot at books at OTHER companies than DC or Marvel. Why? Because getting those books LATER at CHEAPER prices is way easier than trying with a book like Wrong Earth or Backstagers or Saga.
    If you know your comic book stores and when they have sales or have plenty of used books stores or wait on Midtown to have a sale-too many books is NEVER an issue.

Books like Peter and ESPECIALLY BATMAN and certain events are never going to have an issue finding their way to a bin or sale. Of the last 4 sales I have been to I have spent $60 on books that retail at over $1000. It was not Moon Girl or America in those groups. It was Doomsday Clock, Secret Empire, milestone event issues & variants of the A lister variety.

Here is the problem with too many books. Marvel was a connected Universe of books. This is one of he major contributions Stan made to the field. The continuity through out all the series. As a wee lad, I could buy pretty much every Marvel book on th stands. Even after the expansion of the Bronze Age, a reader could keep up with the whole MU, so that when stories convirged or characters showed up in other books, you could know what was going on. And it was wonderful, it was why I liked Marvel so much more than DC. But in the last few decades, Mavel has become Event crazy, and can't resist from publishing multiple books for evry hero. Keeping continuity is near impossible. So if you just read the books you like, fine, but if you want a whole Marvel Universe to visit, you are out of luck. Of course shoe horning these Events into every book messes things up for the casula reader.

Me, I didn't like the change, so I read a couple of books here and there, but have largely said goodbye to Marvel.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Here is the problem with too many books. Marvel was a connected Universe of books. This is one of he major contributions Stan made to the field. The continuity through out all the series. As a wee lad, I could buy pretty much every Marvel book on th stands. Even after the expansion of the Bronze Age, a reader could keep up with the whole MU, so that when stories convirged or characters showed up in other books, you could know what was going on. And it was wonderful, it was why I liked Marvel so much more than DC. But in the last few decades, Mavel has become Event crazy, and can't resist from publishing multiple books for evry hero. Keeping continuity is near impossible. So if you just read the books you like, fine, but if you want a whole Marvel Universe to visit, you are out of luck. Of course shoe horning these Events into every book messes things up for the casula reader.

Me, I didn't like the change, so I read a couple of books here and there, but have largely said goodbye to Marvel.
    THIS!

I could read every Marvel book as a boy and keep track of everything. Today, not so much...so i said good bye to almost everything except Spidey and GotG.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Regardless of how many individual titles a companies publishes per month, it's difficult to see how more of them being designed to function in isolation is a bad thing. Shared universes exist to get you to buy more product, they aren't always bad but can weaken the strength of an individual title. It's hard to appreciate an issue of Morbid Tales of Curiosity when it's unable to shape its own world any more than an installment of Skip the Wonder Fox can.

There is always going to a be a significant portion of titles that function on the pretense of a shared universe, constantly tying into one another, and involving themselves in never-ending crossover events. It's good to have superhero titles that focus less on how they effect other books, and more on telling a good story in isolation. You might be buying fewer books than you have in the past, but that isn't a bad thing.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Regardless of how many individual titles a companies publishes per month, it's difficult to see how more of them being designed to function in isolation is a bad thing. Shared universes exist to get you to buy more product, they aren't always bad but can weaken the strength of an individual title. It's hard to appreciate an issue of Morbid Tales of Curiosity when it's unable to shape its own world any more than an installment of Skip the Wonder Fox can.

There is always going to a be a significant portion of titles that function on the pretense of a shared universe, constantly tying into one another, and involving themselves in never-ending crossover events. It's good to have superhero titles that focus less on how they effect other books, and more on telling a good story in isolation. You might be buying fewer books than you have in the past, but that isn't a bad thing.
    What you describe is how Marvel was for 3 decades. The books were connected, they all shared the same Universe, but there wasn't a massive story line through all of them. Even with the occasional event like Secret Wars, you could read most, but not all Marvel books and keep up. While the individual books you like were largely independent, they still converged at times, but not to the extent that crushed what was happening within their pages.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I would rather have TOO many comics produced from which too choose, than not enough.

Quite frankly, I have never seen this to be an issue.

Agreed, for me that is one of Marvel's biggest strength over DC. At DC, because of how they lean out their books, I barely have any books that I'm purchasing at DC. It use to be much more back when they did the new 52. Now I am probably only picking up 3 books.

Marvel on the other hand, makes up 90% of the books that I read, and that's largely due to the fact that they are willing to produce a lot of books.

You have the whole Marvel Universe for $70 a year. Follow the branches you actually want, and the trunk of the tree will come up in 6 months. It's never been easier.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate