View Poll Results: What grade would you give Nick Spencer's first year on Amazing Spider-Man?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • A+; this isn't just one of the best Spider-Man runs ever but one of the best comic books ever

5 8.47%
  • A: Excellent. A highlight of the character/ Modern Marvel

27 45.76%
  • B: Good. There has been better stuff but it's worth checking out

22 37.29%
  • C: Just okay. Worth reading/ buying at steep discount.

2 3.39%
  • D: Mediocre. There's worse comics out there, but why bother?

1 1.69%
  • F: Terrible. Marvel shouldn't have published it.

0 0%
  • N/A: Haven't read it yet/ refuse to do so.

2 3.39%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Certainly doing a very fine job cleaning up Slott's atrocious mess. Spencer clearly understands the character much more than his predecessor and shows reverence for what's come before in the webspinner's storied history. Can't wait to see where things are headed.

I have liked it for the most part but I loathe the reset to bad luck parker. I don't thin he needed to stay as a CEO but the Science editor job had promise. The dangled thread of working with Dr. Connors seems to have been pulled. A little stability who not end the character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    I have liked it for the most part but I loathe the reset to bad luck parker.
    1) It's not bad luck if you face the consequences of your actions, or in this case indecision. Peter profited off a degree he didn't earn, and didn't turn in at the right moment. If you make a mistake and you face consequences for your mistake, nope it's not luck. It's just you. Plagiarism is not bad luck because you get caught for it.

2) So far, Peter hasn't faced half the crap that Slott put him through without logic and reason. Everything happens organically and out of the growing logic of the story.

I don't thin he needed to stay as a CEO but the Science editor job had promise.
    Peter's never been a writer, and while you don't need to be a writer to be editor, it is important. And being an editor of a science section is the kind of job that necessitates you be at the office a lot longer than otherwise. It's a dumb kind of job.

It's been pretty good so far, and I think its lifted by how much has been done poorly for the character in recent years. I also look at it more fondly due to getting someone other than Slott writing the main book after a very long, long time. I really would like to see it advance a little fast in the upcoming months, but a lot of that stems from my anticipation for Kindred's reveal—it's been a year already!

Mighty Member

I give it an A.
    i agree with all the points of people that gave A's and B's

Of course, the thing that I like most is that Peter and Mary Jane are back together as a couple.

Spencer got me enjoying Spider-Man comics again.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Solid A. If he brings back the marriage, I might add a plus to that A.

Astonishing Member

Its way better than Slotts run, but i have the feeling i have already read every Spider-Man story ever told. Clearly thats not the writers fault, there is only so much you can do with a character for 50 years.

I am annoyed by always bringing the same villain back. The Lizard is boring as hell, Kraven is back though he had the best endings in Kravens last hunt, the Vulture should died of cancer a long time ago and so on...

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

It’s been a good B for me. Nice set up and reestablishing characters and relationships. Would’ve fallen flat if not for the great comedy of Spencer, though. Hunted was good, but I even felt like that ended with little repercussions. Which is, of course, fine. It was still enjoyable and I’ll enjoy a reread at some point.

That being said, I think Spencer has to take it up a notch in Year 2. Take the bigger risks...really make Kindred live up the hype. Enough of the middle-ground stories, let’s start tearing things up.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Its way better than Slotts run, but i have the feeling i have already read every Spider-Man story ever told. Clearly thats not the writers fault, there is only so much you can do with a character for 50 years.

I am annoyed by always bringing the same villain back. The Lizard is boring as hell, Kraven is back though he had the best endings in Kravens last hunt, the Vulture should died of cancer a long time ago and so on...
    I understand the complaints about the same bad guys but the reality is this: The purpose of Spider-Man ( like all of Marvel and DC) is to make money, and most comic book fans do not like changes such as new characters (villains included). A perfect example is "Far From Home" Instead of creating a totally original love interest who happens to be black, Marvel/Sony creates a black character and names her MJ. Why? They did not want to take a chance the new character would fail. The same concept applies to Lady Octopus and female Electro when Otto and Dillion are good enough. Now change does not mean change for the sake of change ( my single biggest complaint about Dan Slott's run on Spider-Man). Instead it should be improving stories.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I'd say it's been an ''A'' personally. It's really got me enjoying ASM again.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post

In Kraven's case, he may well stay dead this time, since Spencer did seem to agree that Kraven being brought back after Last Hunt wasn't that good an idea, to understate the matter. At least now we have a "new" Kraven that can take up where the "old" one left off, though I'd personally love to see Ana Kravinoff come back at some point (like she should have in Hunted).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Damn right, Huntsman and Yankee...

I still read it, i still like it, but i am not excited about it anymore...

But yeah, Nick Spencer is okay in my book

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I understand the complaints about the same bad guys but the reality is this: The purpose of Spider-Man ( like all of Marvel and DC) is to make money, and most comic book fans do not like changes such as new characters (villains included). A perfect example is "Far From Home" Instead of creating a totally original love interest who happens to be black, Marvel/Sony creates a black character and names her MJ. Why? They did not want to take a chance the new character would fail. The same concept applies to Lady Octopus and female Electro when Otto and Dillion are good enough. Now change does not mean change for the sake of change ( my single biggest complaint about Dan Slott's run on Spider-Man). Instead it should be improving stories.
    Zendaya is not even black
    she's biracial
    her father is African American and her mother is European American

I am multiracial myself
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

I'd give it a solid B+. Enjoying it a lot but not quite as much as other first years of some of my favourite runs. It has layed a great foundation and has the potential to be a top tier run, depending on where things go.

Astonishing Member

B+. So much better than the Dan Slott era...