View Poll Results: What grade would you give Nick Spencer's first year on Amazing Spider-Man?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • A+; this isn't just one of the best Spider-Man runs ever but one of the best comic books ever

5 8.47%
  • A: Excellent. A highlight of the character/ Modern Marvel

27 45.76%
  • B: Good. There has been better stuff but it's worth checking out

22 37.29%
  • C: Just okay. Worth reading/ buying at steep discount.

2 3.39%
  • D: Mediocre. There's worse comics out there, but why bother?

1 1.69%
  • F: Terrible. Marvel shouldn't have published it.

0 0%
  • N/A: Haven't read it yet/ refuse to do so.

2 3.39%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How would you rate Nick Spencer's first year on Amazing Spider-Man?

Nick Spencer's first year on Amazing Spider-Man is done, with 24 regular issues and four Hunted tie-ins. We had the opening issue with big changes to Peter's status quo, an opening arc influenced by a former CBR poster's suggestion, spotlights on Boomerang, Black Cat and J. Jonah Jameson and a big encounter with Kraven. So what did you guys think?

If anyone needs a refresher on the various stories, I started a thread asking for the favorite story from the first year.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Great! A+ for me. I look forward to reading every issue although I prefer Ottley on the art more often. Cause Ramos body portions look weird to me now. I like the focus he gives to the supporting cast like Mj, Jonah and Felicia. And it's well received too in my opinion hoping he continues the great work
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

The first 6 months of all-character setups would've admittedly gotten really grating if he wasn't comics' best comedy writer. Hunted picked it up significantly and was a fun ride with a great ending. I'd take the first arc of SamCap + Standoff over it all, but there was not an issue I didn't think was pretty hot. The book also looked consistently very good even if I'm not the biggest Ottley stan. I do need more of that trademarked Spencer cruelty in Year 2, though. Gibbon was a good morsel, but Kindred's gotta turn it up a notch if he wants to be Hydra Cap tier and an A-List Spidey villain. We were promised that he would leave a huge scar and that we're heading towards one of the biggest Spider-Man stories ever, so my faith is fully intact. I'll bite bullets for you, Spencer.

Um, uh... I give it a B!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Very Good. There were better runs, but at least it's better than any ASM phase in the '10s.

I'll give him a solid B.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I’d love to give it a B+/A- since I don’t think anything Spencer has done on ASM yet fits as a “highlight” of either Spider-Man’s best stories ever, or one of the best titles at Marvel currently. However, it has been consistently well made and well written, and delivered on every count for me as an enjoyable comic. For that reason, I feel like rating it a “B” would be a disservice to how much I’ve enjoyed this comic.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Nick Spencer's first year on Amazing Spider-Man is done, with 24 regular issues and four Hunted tie-ins. We had the opening issue with big changes to Peter's status quo, an opening arc influenced by a former CBR poster's suggestion, spotlights on Boomerang, Black Cat and J. Jonah Jameson and a big encounter with Kraven. So what did you guys think?

If anyone needs a refresher on the various stories, I started a thread asking for the favorite story from the first year.
    I give Spencer an A. I save the A+ Grades for Ditko, Romita and Conway, but when compared to Slott who I gave an F he is doing great.

Solid A thus far. The stories are fun and I look forward to each issue.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

Solid A from me as well.

To me every issue had something going for it. The comedy is really good and funny, and the characters feel right. I wouldn't say that Spencer's run feels like the Spider-Man of old as some do, rather it feels like a legitimate follow-up to JMS' run that we never got.

Smaller stakes, friendly neighborhood, and more grounded world.

Astonishing Member

I also voted A. Spencer gets the voices, corrects Slott's mistakes, balances story and humour well. Back to Basics and Heist the standout stories.

BANNED

Gave it a B, some great stuff, my personal highlight being the Heist arc and seeing Felicia back in character. Overall just a tad too lighthearted at times with some forced humor. The clone of Kraven was a let down conclusion for an otherwise great Hunted arc but Spencer deserves credit for putting and keeping so many interesting subplots in play. Looking forward to Year 2 and hopeful he pulls an A + in next years poll

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

It's be pretty good, imo. Nothing spectacular as I expected, but very, very entertaining! A solid B+.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far.

It's been fun! Stuff has happened, he's introduced us to a new looming "big bad", classic enemies and been used well, supporting cast is solid, Boomerang is king. PETE AND MJ!!!!! All good stuff so far.

I wish he'd slow down a little sometimes, eg, there was a lot of potential to explore Peter and Spider-man split from each other. That said, Hunted was perfectly paced, so maybe he learned from that. I see his pace overall as very similar to Slott's and I do mean that as a compliment.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

it's the run that has been most enjoyable to me.

Mighty Member

Tentative B+ so far. I'm enjoying the run, but we're obviously still in the early days. It's really not hard to imagine, for example, the Kindred reveal/plot/arc being awesome and moving this run up to an A+ or being so stupid that I stop reading the book (with all options in between being viable, as well). The B+ covers both my feelings on the run so far and where I imagine the Kindred stuff lands - more likely than not to be good but not amazing.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm