View Poll Results: What is the best comic from Nick Spencer's first year on Amazing Spider-Man?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amazing Spider-Man #1

8 15.69%
  • Back to Basics (Amazing Spider-Man #2-5)

6 11.76%
  • A Trivial Pursuit (Amazing Spider-Man #6-7)

8 15.69%
  • Heist (Amazing Spider-Man #8-10)

6 11.76%
  • Lifetime Achievement (Amazing Spider-Man #11-13)

2 3.92%
  • Family Matters (Amazing Spider-Man #14-15)

0 0%
  • Hunted (Amazing Spider-Man #16-23/ 16 HU/ 18 HU/ 19 HU/ 20 HU)

18 35.29%
  • Fear Has No Name (Amazing Spider-Man #24)

3 5.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is the best story from Nick Spencer's first year of Amazing Spider-Man?

With Nick Spencer's second year on Amazing Spider-Man kicking off soon, I thought it would be worthwhile to see if there's any consensus on his best work.

Amazing Spider-Man Volume 5 #1: Spider-Man deals with an alien invasion, a professional crisis, and a personal realization. Art by Ottley and Ramos.

Back to Basics (Amazing Spider-Man Volume 5 #2-5): The Tri-Sentinel and the split between Peter Parker and Spider-Man. Art by Ottley.

A Trivial Pursuit (Amazing Spider-Man Volume 5 #6-7): Spider-Man and Boomerang go the Bar With No Name. Art by Ramos.

Heist (Amazing Spider-Man Volume 5 #8-10): The Thieves Guild sets their eyes on the Black Cat. Art by Ramos.

Lifetime Achievement (Amazing Spider-Man Volume 5 #11-13): J Jonah Jameson is targetted by old enemies. Art by Ottley.

Family Matters (Amazing Spider-Man Volume 5 #14-15): Aunt May is caught in the crossfire with Rhino, Black Ant and Taskmaster. Art by Bachalo.

Hunted (Amazing Spider-Man Volume 5 #16-23):The big "Hunted" event and its tie-ins. Art by Bachalo, Ottley, Coello, Lashley, Sandoval, Ramos and Smith. If one of your favorite comics was one of the tie-in issues, vote for the crossover and explain your choice in the comments.

Fear Has No Name (Amazing Spider-Man Volume 5 #24): A spotlight on the villain behind the scenes. Art by Ottley.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Hunted (#16-23) > Lifetime Achievement (#11-13) > Back to Basics (#1-5) > A Trivial Pursuit (#6-7) > Family Matters (#14-15) > Heist (#8-10) > One-on-One (#24)

These stories have pretty good names in the recap pages.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Back to Basics, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Issue 1 > Back to Basics > Family Matters > Heist > Fear Has No Name for me as the stories I’ve enjoyed most so far.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Issue 1 > Back to Basics > Family Matters > Heist > Fear Has No Name for me as the stories I’ve enjoyed most so far.
    My list is quite similar, only difference is I have #24 higher on my list.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

I don't really consider #1 as being separate from Back To Basics, since that is Part 1, but if we do separate it I would probably consider it as the best, because that really is such a perfect first issue, with all the reintroduction, payoff, and setup you need to get you engaged. In terms of story arcs, Heist is my favourite, cause it has everything that appeals to me the most (#10 alone is one of my favs of the whole run), while Hunted I'd say is overall the best arc of the series, thanks to its scale and material. Here's my personal rankings:

ASM #1 > Heist > Hunted > A Trivial Pursuit > Fear Has No Name > Back To Basics > Lifetime Achievement > Family Matters

BANNED

A trivial pursuit or the boomerang two-patter is the moment Spencer’s run clicked for me. It made me seek out Superior Foes and so on.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Back to Basics, IMO.
    Same. Back to Basics #1-5 then Heist.

Why was #1 split from it in the poll?

I also liked FCBD Spider-Man 2018.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 06-30-2019 at 12:01 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    A trivial pursuit or the boomerang two-patter is the moment Spencer’s run clicked for me. It made me seek out Superior Foes and so on.
    Glad you did. Love that book.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Same. Back to Basics #1-5 then Heist.

Why was #1 split from it in the poll?

I also liked FCBD Spider-Man 2018.
    I get the arguments that it's one story. It's five issues mostly by one creative team under the same story umbrella (Issue 1 is listed as "Back to Basics Part 1"), and was presumably conceived as a unified whole. The first issue ends on a cliffhanger with the Lizard as Peter's teacher that is continued in the next issue. A new mystery villain figures into the climax of the major adventures.

The counterargument is that the A-plots are largely separate. The first issue covers an alien invasion, that is largely resolved at the end of the issue and leads into the epilogue by Ramos with the trial and early appearance by Kindred, which doesn't really figure into the rest of "Back to Basics." It covers major changes in Peter's private life and leads him to a major decision, which is set up in the first pages as Peter recalls a defining moment with MJ, to which we see the resolution. It's also more Bugle-heavy than the rest of the TPB by virtue of Peter getting his ass fired.

The arc for Issues 2-5 covers the separation of Peter and Spider-Man into separate entities. It's an event that occurs in the end of the second issue based on a scientific process introduced in the second issue. There's a running subplot with the reintroduction of Kraven that wasn't hinted at the first issue, and ties into Black Ant and Taskmaster's attack in the second issue. It also doesn't resolve the changes in Issue 1. Peter doesn't make any decision on his professional or academic future.

What made the difference for me is the sense that one can radically different opinions on the quality of the different segments in a way that wouldn't work for most arcs. You could easily think that #1 is fantastic and the rest is a solid but not exceptional story, or that the first issue is okay but the Peter Parker VS Spider-Man story is a highlight.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Amazing Member

Definitely Hunted. Spencer's run has been really good in general, but Hunted truly fired on all cylinders for me.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Easily Hunted or me.

Everything else has felt strangely rushed or just fallen a little flat.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

The Hunted for me to.

BANNED

So cool that so many people are coming out to bat for HUNTED. I thought the praise at the time was a little lukewarm but now it's happily rising as people appreciate how solid an event that was.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Hunted for me. Was basically the climatic ending of Year 1 and was great fun.
    It just felt like a game, and i hope one day it becomes one.