Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Has anyone seen Star Trek discovery

I’m more a fan of the newer stuff like Into Darkness and Beyond

So is it like that or more like the older stuff, TNG, DS9, Voyager?

Quote Originally Posted by Mider2009 View Post

No nothing like Classic Trek.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    What you think of it? I liked some of the classic stuff, thought the captains were bad asses.

BANNED

Discovery takes it into more dark, violent and brutal territories, at least during the first season.
    Season 2 begins more Trek like but as the season progresses, season one's tropes begin to manifest but to a lesser degree.

As for the old Trek series...
    Well, they are not that kid friendly as most of the fanbase like to believe.

The Next Generation had many dark episodes such as Skin Of Evil which was one of the most touching moments in the entire franchise next to Spock's death. The season one episode Conspiracy had one of the goriest moments in TNG's entire run. Picard's legendary run in with the Borg and that Kardasshian Prison two parter. Worf's struggle to regain his leg mobility after an accident and many others.

Deep Space Nine was basically a war drama after season 3 and it had one of the most heart wrecking finales in the entire franchise.

Voyager had the episode with the lizard sex which was basically... rape. Kes's power level struggle mirrored the Dark Phoenix Saga and all those time travel episodes with a few exeptions had a dark feeling.

Enterprise was the most light hearted series in the Prime Timeline, second only to the original series but it did had that final episode with one of the main cast dying and the third season was more mature and dark.

The Kelvin Timeline also had some dark moments such as the destruction of Vulcan and the death of Pike but it was mostly light hearted.
    Into Darkness was nothing more than a bad unofficial remake of The Wrath of Khan.

I like Discovery despite it's flaws. I am a fan and i can't wait to see season three. I would say to give it a chance and make your own mind. It might surprise you pleasantly.
    Last edited by Minerboh; 06-30-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mider2009 View Post

It is more like the movies than the old stuff but if you are looking straight up movie style action all the time you will be disappointed. Discovery is actually a good mix of old and new. It is easy recommend if you like the movies

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I'd say it's a healthy mix, less episodic, and more of a longer serialized story. It's shaping up to have a solid crew dynamic with stories that co-relate to real-world issues, but it takes a lot of stylistic queues from the more modern film series.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I liked the JJ films matter of fact my top 5 Trek films are The Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home, The Undiscovered Country, First Contact, and Beyond. But IMO Discovery is to Star Trek what the Bayformers were to Transformers.

Also I know this probably won't bother a new fan but I grew up on Trek and watch every episode of every series and every film and the "Visual Upgrade" to classic Trek both drives me insane and disgust. Dr. Who, Star Wars, and Older Trek Shows like TNG, DS9, and ENT all took great efforts to recreate their franchises older era designs and looks while Discovery says nah we can do better make it "cooler" for the kids.

I'm holding hope out for the Picard series but yeah no Discovery fan.

I have seen it. Don't hold your breathe on it. It is no Star Trek: Next Generation. If you know and hate what a Mary Sue character is, I don't think you will like the main character in Discovery. The visual settings of Discovery looks like a replica of the JJ Abrams Star Trek movies. If you are into the new stuff, Discovery will visually appeal to you.

It's a sort of semi-prequel to TOS but set much closer (around a decade earlier) than Enterprise was. Like Enterprise it also looks somewhat more advanced than even the shows set in the TNG era, and some of the design seems to be heavily influenced by the new movies (although those are of course set in another reality, although it's possible some of the adventures of the Discovery crew still "happened" but differently-especially when the Enterprise gets involved....and I'm wondering how Michael would feel about the other Spock, the death of Amanda and Vulcan's destruction as well as the relationship with Uhura).

The first season deals mostly with a Klingon war and the mirror universe, although Mudd from the original series also shows up, while the second brings in Captain Pike and Spock and deals with a cosmic mystery.

Basically the main character is another sibling of Spock who we've never heard of prior to now (Kind of like V's Sybok) although in this case she's his adopted human sister who was raised like a Vulcan.

Come to think about it, I haven't seen all of Discovery yet, is Sybok ever mentioned?
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-30-2019 at 01:59 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

It really isn't good television, let alone a descent Trek show.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Discovery takes it into more dark, violent and brutal territories, at least during the first season.
    Season 2 begins more Trek like but as the season progresses, season one's tropes begin to manifest but to a lesser degree.

As for the old Trek series...
    Well, they are not that kid friendly as most of the fanbase like to believe.

The Next Generation had many dark episodes such as Skin Of Evil which was one of the most touching moments in the entire franchise next to Spock's death. The season one episode Conspiracy had one of the goriest moments in TNG's entire run. Picard's legendary run in with the Borg and that Kardasshian Prison two parter. Worf's struggle to regain his leg mobility after an accident and many others.

Deep Space Nine was basically a war drama after season 3 and it had one of the most heart wrecking finales in the entire franchise.

Voyager had the episode with the lizard sex which was basically... rape. Kes's power level struggle mirrored the Dark Phoenix Saga and all those time travel episodes with a few exeptions had a dark feeling.

Enterprise was the most light hearted series in the Prime Timeline, second only to the original series but it did had that final episode with one of the main cast dying and the third season was more mature and dark.

The Kelvin Timeline also had some dark moments such as the destruction of Vulcan and the death of Pike but it was mostly light hearted.
    Into Darkness was nothing more than a bad unofficial remake of The Wrath of Khan.

I like Discovery despite it's flaws. I am a fan and i can't wait to see season three. I would say to give it a chance and make your own mind. It might surprise you pleasantly.
    Exactly how did you come your "rape" conclusion? Anyway... I love Star Trek: Discovery and have Seasons 1 & 2 on my hard drive. Looking forward to Season 3
    Last edited by Shreene; 07-01-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I have seen it. Don't hold your breathe on it. It is no Star Trek: Next Generation. If you know and hate what a Mary Sue character is, I don't think you will like the main character in Discovery. The visual settings of Discovery looks like a replica of the JJ Abrams Star Trek movies. If you are into the new stuff, Discovery will visually appeal to you.
    I have found that no one knows what a Mary Sue is, or rather that every character is a Mary Sue, meaning the phrase is meaningless.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I have found that no one knows what a Mary Sue is, or rather that every character is a Mary Sue, meaning the phrase is meaningless.
    In the case of Discovery, the showrunners and head writers were first Bryan Fuller and then Alex Kurtzman. They're both men, and Kurtzman is married to a woman. Unless they've been hiding certain things about themselves, Michael Burnham can't be their wish-fullfilling Mary Sue, by definition.

I've complaints about Michael Burnham's character, namely that the writers love to insert her as the problem solver even in plots that don't involve her (which is already rare), but she also goes through a lot of personal loss and those in authority are plenty skeptical of her. By contrast, a Mary Sue would have almost everything in her life going her way -- heck, a Mary Sue would be captain already, whereas Discovery (the show, not the ship) has gone through four captains already, all of whom treat Michael as a subordinate -- as they should.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    Exactly how did you come your "rape" conclusion? Anyway... I love Star Trek: Discovery and have Seasons 1 & 2 on my hard drive. Looking forward to Season 3
    It came from the fact that Tom Paris kidnapped Janeway and took her into Warp Ten so he can de evolute her and then took her into that planet to pro create with her (and succeded) against her will. He never asked her to do all these things.
    That simple.

Extraordinary Member

I agree that Michael is not a Mary Sue. She's nowhere near as bad as TNG season 1 Wesley. But she is still the weakest element of the show, which is a problem when she's also the main character. I think part of the problem is the actress is not as good at playing a character like this who is not supposed to show much emotion as Leonard Nimoy or Jeri Ryan were.