Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Last Stand

36 46.75%
  • Dark Phoenix

41 53.25%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Default The Last stand vs Dark Phoenix, which was better?

Both movies were very big chapters of the Fox X-men movies, both shared similar themes and characters
    So which one did you like more?
    Why?

BANNED

None????
    The right question should be which was worse?

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    None????
    The right question should be which was worse?
    You're right, but i didn't think of it at the moment, not sure if or how i can fix it

The Last Stand because is the only one that i watched. Pretty bad movie overall, although i dp think that is not as bad as some people say.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Neither...

X-3 had six different plots being juggled, with the Dark Phoenix being the D-plot. Why anyone even remotely thought that would work is beyond me.

Dark Phoenix went with the same formula from the last two movies, which is something at least. I didn't like it, but that's because I've grown really tired of James and Michael's Magic Adventure Starring Jennifer. And at least Jean was the A-plot.

BANNED

It's X3, it at least had a few entertaining things going for it. They're both awful, but one was occasionally fun.

Halle Berry Storm in X3 was the best Storm Fox could manage.

Jean killing Charles in slow-motion while destroying the house and being led away by Magneto was far more moving than Jean killing Mystique, pwning the X-Men in slow-motion, and running away to Magneto.

Beast in X3 was the best Beast Fox could manage.

Angel's arc, while brief in terms of screentime, was basically a solid statement in total.

Alcatraz and the Golden Gate set piece was better than the subway trains.

So, X3 wins easy.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post

Jean killing Charles in slow-motion while destroying the house and being led away by Magneto was far more moving than Jean killing Mystique, pwning the X-Men in slow-motion, and running away to Magneto.

Angel's arc, while brief in terms of screentime, was basically a solid statement in total.

So, X3 wins easy.
    Oh my god Yoga are...are you saying you maybe, sorta, kinda liked a Fox-Men movie!? Are you okay? Do you need to lie down?

Quote Originally Posted by Peanutsinspace View Post
    Oh my god Yoga are...are you saying you maybe, sorta, kinda liked a Fox-Men movie!? Are you okay? Do you need to lie down?
    In a rational 'which of these two [horrible] films was better', yes, I'll stand by X3. Is X3's Storm a good or even adequate representation of the character as presented in Claremont's works? Absolutely not. Was X3's Storm vs. Callisto subplot even the tiniest percentage of what Claremont's and Smith's version was? Hell no.

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

So, X3 wins easy.
    agreed to all of this. dark Phoenix was truly garbage in comparison.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Thanks to the people who have answered.
    I forgot to write my own answer, sorry.
    I feel like i should say that i enjoyed Dark phoenix better because it had Jean and jott (which are my favorite things) but maybe to see things i loved so much being done so wrong is exactly why i didn't like dark phoenix.
    Last stand is not good but i had some fun watching it.

Dark Phoenix is the better movie; it had one central plot instead of two unrelated plots mashed together and all the subplots connected to the main one (in other words, it was better written). Jean's possession by Dark Phoenix was given more nuance and allowed for an actual character arc, unlike the original where she just completely shifts personality and is arguably a secondary character in that plot (Wolverine seems to be the lead in the original, given that he's the one who's perspective we follow the story from and has to make the critical decisions). I think it had a better final act battle (although I am partial to Kitty Pryde dissing the Juggernaut ) and it explored the interesting ethical questions r.e. Xavier's handling of Jean with the blocks, while the original movie forgot that as soon as it brought it up.

While I think Dark Phoenix has its own problems and trouble spots, as outlined above, I think it remains the objectively better movie, even if Last Stand has more "fun" moments.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Both were bad, but X3 squeaks by on some random points:

Kelsey Grammer's look and acting as Beast

John Powell's Phoenix theme was great imo and seemed fitting for a comic accurate film (Shame it was used for this)

Some fanservice stuff (fastball special/Danger room/Iceman iced up)

Some scenes had a bit of emotional weight for me: Young Warren cutting his wings, Jean killing Charles,

DPH didnt make me feel anything- good or bad.

Last Stand might not have had the best script, but they had a lot of really talented actors that just hit it right out of the park.

In a rational 'which of these two [horrible] films was better', yes, I'll stand by X3. Is X3's Storm a good or even adequate representation of the character as presented in Claremont's works? Absolutely not. Was X3's Storm vs. Callisto subplot even the tiniest percentage of what Claremont's and Smith's version was? Hell no.
    Okay, this sounds more like you. For a minute there, you had me worried Fox switched you with a pod person!