Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Last Stand

36 46.75%
  • Dark Phoenix

41 53.25%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

X3 killed Scott 10 minutes in while Dark Phoenix focused a lot on the couple.
    Phoenix is an actual cosmic entity rather than an emo Jean.
    Dark Phoenix has to throw Charles under the bus for it to work but X3 kills him off for their plot so no.
    Dark Phoenix had ALIENS!
    X3 descends into a Wolverine Saves The World story
    Dark Phoenix's ending is more optimistic than X3's (less casualities and it's hinted Jean is still alive)
    People liked X3 Beast? Ew. Where's the taste police?
    I'm still not sure about the final boss fight of each. X3 has the X-Men consisting of Wolverine, Storm, Beast, Iceman, Colossus and Shadowcat (and Angel?) against Magneto, Jean and the Brotherhood of Fodder. Dark Phoenix has the X-Men versus aliens only they can kill with Super Phoenix God Jean showing off at the end.

I'll give it to Dark Phoenix.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by jignat View Post
    John Powell's Phoenix theme was great imo and seemed fitting for a comic accurate film (Shame it was used for this)
    John Powell is one of the good modern film composers.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

The Famke scene disintegrating Charles, and Erik scrambling in the kitchen whilst shitting his pants is the best scene of both movies.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    The Famke scene disintegrating Charles, and Erik scrambling in the kitchen whilst shitting his pants is the best scene of both movies.
    Despite me feeling that Dark Phoenix is a better movie over all, this is absolutely correct.

If both were release in 2006, Dark Phoenix would be better.

But it was released in 2019. Standards are so higher now.

It's unacceptable. I vote TLS.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    Despite me feeling that Dark Phoenix is a better movie over all, this is absolutely correct.
    :-) I think Dark Phoenix is better overall too. I think the BEST movie is somewhere between the two. Maybe someone on Youtube will use the films, the TAS version, hi-res comic panels, and some drawn stills to compose the best movie we'll never get.

Still want to see it on Broadway though.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Agreed. 1010110
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Incredible Member

Dark Phoenix had decent acting and tried despite a ton of issues. It's biggest problem was it was supposed to have 2 movies to set stuff up (which got cut short by probably the most unexpected event anybody could have guessed). I stand by a smaller movie between apocalypse and dark phoenix would have played better to the cast.

x3 is one of the worst movies in the franchise. Worst opening scene....check! (and that is after saying not a single x movie started weak), broken plot, complete waste of cyclops, complete waste of Rogue (2 movies to setup a meh), the horrible juggernaut, mutant congaline, and that's just off the top of my head.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I'm probably in the minority, but I liked both. I'd say X3 was the better movie overall, while Dark Pheonix was a better adaptation of the actual Pheonix storyline. Jean got a lot more agency and engagement with what was going on with her, instead of being reduced to a plot device, and Sophie Turner's acting was really good.

I recently watched the original trilogy back to back and was surprised to like X3 the best. The theme of the weaponized cure, Rogue struggling with her inability to touch, Charles and Magneto's shared respect despite being adversaries, even the action is better. I also thought Beast was spot on and a great piece of the ensemble, more so than his younger counterpart. Jean killing Xavier was also much more shocking and disturbing than anything Sophie's did.

Dark Pheonix was fine, it wasn't great but it wasn't a bad movie. Both films lacked development for Jean and especially Scott, but it was more noticeable in the latter one because the film hinges on that. But it had some strong themes of control, forgiveness, hope, and how the safety of mutants depends on a precarious stability between them, and a fragile public image. When she finally gets to kick ass its great, and while the tragic ending resonates more, it was cool to see her embrace the power and use it. Magneto struggling with her and essentially abandoning her was interesting too. My biggest complaint is the weird retcon, but it wasn't terrible aside from just not making a lot of sense. I also wish they had more time to build up regular positive hero Jean, but I suppose they didn't have the time.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I've also started to notice about myself as a moviegoer that I don't mind when multiple plots are juggled as much as others. I liked BvS (despite its flaws) and X3 has similar strengths and weaknesses.

I really wish they hadn't edited out/tweaked some of the scenes. I kinda prefer the deleted scene where Phoenix and Charles fight while also communicating telepathically. They actually take a line of dialogue straight from the comic (mostly) when she says, 'You set in motion the chain of events' and I really liked when Jean says, 'You just left me there?' It's pretty good. Check it out if you haven't seen it!

Next, I preferred the deleted camp scene where instead of threatening Magneto with the cure needles, she creates a star(?) and threatens the entire camp with it instead.

Lastly, just to be cheeky and tease Yoga and Kyss, Storm made a wave guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Peanutsinspace View Post
    Next, I preferred the deleted camp scene where instead of threatening Magneto with the cure needles, she creates a star(?) and threatens the entire camp with it instead.

Love this. What were they snorting when they decided to delete it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I'm probably in the minority, but I liked both. I'd say X3 was the better movie overall, while Dark Pheonix was a better adaptation of the actual Pheonix storyline.
    I actually though Dark Phoenix was the better crafted movie in general. What about X3 lead you to your conclusion?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)