Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Last Stand

36 46.75%
  • Dark Phoenix

41 53.25%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    X3 killed Scott 10 minutes in while Dark Phoenix focused a lot on the couple.
    Phoenix is an actual cosmic entity rather than an emo Jean.
    Dark Phoenix has to throw Charles under the bus for it to work but X3 kills him off for their plot so no.
    Dark Phoenix had ALIENS!
    X3 descends into a Wolverine Saves The World story
    Dark Phoenix's ending is more optimistic than X3's (less casualities and it's hinted Jean is still alive)
    People liked X3 Beast? Ew. Where's the taste police?
    I'm still not sure about the final boss fight of each. X3 has the X-Men consisting of Wolverine, Storm, Beast, Iceman, Colossus and Shadowcat (and Angel?) against Magneto, Jean and the Brotherhood of Fodder. Dark Phoenix has the X-Men versus aliens only they can kill with Super Phoenix God Jean showing off at the end.

I'll give it to Dark Phoenix.
    Well said!

I would also add that Dark Phoenix was a lot more concise, plot-wise and with respect to how the characters changed over the course of the story. X3 was just all over the place and that's to be expected. It tried to juggle so many characters, plots, and threats. It just couldn't manage them all without the movie being three hours long. When I watched Dark Phoenix, I was impressed by how tight the whole story was. There was no moments where I felt like the script read "and then this happens." There was a lot of that in X3, much more so than the first two X-Men movies. Again, I think a lot of that had to do with X3 juggling so many plots. I strongly believe that if X3 had just dropped the Phoenix sub-plot altogether and focused on the cure, it would've been a much better movie. Or if it dropped the cure and focused on Phoenix, which was Bryan Singer's original idea, I think it would've been better as well. But by trying to squeeze so much into it at once, everything just didn't fit together. Say what you will about Dark Phoenix, but that movie was laser focused from the beginning. And it stayed focused until the final credits.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Spectacular Member sublimeclown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peanutsinspace View Post
    I really wish they hadn't edited out/tweaked some of the scenes. I kinda prefer the deleted scene where Phoenix and Charles fight while also communicating telepathically. They actually take a line of dialogue straight from the comic (mostly) when she says, 'You set in motion the chain of events' and I really liked when Jean says, 'You just left me there?' It's pretty good. Check it out if you haven't seen it!
    Not to mention this one that absolutely should've been in the movie:

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

I’ll go with Dark Phoenix for these reasons:

-It has a focused storyline unlike X3 which was disjointed and all over the place with plot lines that go nowhere. Dark Phoenix’s problem is that the story is rushed and too short.

-Dark Phoenix had far superior action scenes, some of the best in the series.

-Dark Phoenix further explores themes of destiny that were established in DOFP and Apocalypse which I had found thought provoking.

-Jean actually fights people in this movie unlike in X3, where she was just standing around and only dust peoples for two scenes.

-The X-Men showcasing proper teamwork, which was only ever present in First Class.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 07-02-2019 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimeclown View Post
    You know something... having re-watched X3 recently, it really isn't as bad as I remember. As long as you separate it from the comics and understand that it's not really a Phoenix story. There are some great character moments and action set pieces. Dark Phoenix was a better adaptation of the Phoenix Saga but it was mostly forgettable and I just didn't feel the stakes were high enough.
    They were apparently going for smaller scale.

Can't they both be awful in their own unique ways.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The stakes in Dark Phoenix weren't high enough?

The Phoenix turned Jean into a ticking time bomb who's a threat to both mutants and humans and we have aliens that can't be killed by human weapons (at least bullets) trying to get to Phoenix Force to purge Earth for themselves.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    -Dark Phoenix had far superior action scenes, some of the best in the series.
    We didn't watch the same movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    We didn't watch the same movie.
    This scene was pretty dope.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PeaksJoe/...34782273069057

Yeah I don’t think I’ve ever seen close-quarters melee magnetism. Was pretty cool indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Yeah I don’t think I’ve ever seen close-quarters melee magnetism. Was pretty cool indeed.
    I loved how Magneto crashed the cart.

Oh, Magneto strangling black men in chains and stabbing them. Yeah, really top notch stuff.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Oh, Magneto strangling black men in chains and stabbing them. Yeah, really top notch stuff.
    This made me laugh. But the guy he stabbed was white.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Freud's cigar, if you ask me.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Last Stand's main plot about the cure was actually really interesting, and Magneto was awesome in that movie, as was Kelsey Grammer as Beast. The Pheonix plot is what brought the film down - that and Juggernaut. Dark Phoenix doesn't have anything going for it. Just a boring film with boring characters.

As pure popcorn entertainment Last Stand has Magneto attacking the convoy carrying Mystique, the Golden Gate scene, and the final action setpiece. It occasionally has some of the most well-written dialogue with Magneto's speeches and Beast talking to the president. Yeah, the Pheonix is butchered so bad it hurts, but the movie has a ton of highs. Dark Phoenix not only repeats many of the same mistakes with the Pheonix, but it lacks any standout moments or anything enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Last Stand's main plot about the cure was actually really interesting, and Magneto was awesome in that movie, as was Kelsey Grammer as Beast. The Pheonix plot is what brought the film down - that and Juggernaut. Dark Phoenix doesn't have anything going for it. Just a boring film with boring characters.

As pure popcorn entertainment Last Stand has Magneto attacking the convoy carrying Mystique, the Golden Gate scene, and the final action setpiece. It occasionally has some of the most well-written dialogue with Magneto's speeches and Beast talking to the president. Yeah, the Pheonix is butchered so bad it hurts, but the movie has a ton of highs. Dark Phoenix not only repeats many of the same mistakes with the Pheonix, but it lacks any standout moments or anything enjoyable.
    Agreed. DP might check off more boxes in a DPS adaptation, but it's still the more boring, less exciting film. Both movies fail as adaptations of Claremont's original work(and all that had lead up to it), so it's not even a question of that. It's a question of which is a better movie? X3 is the better movie. It still doesn't go far enough for an X-Men film(with the source material they have at their disposal). I look forward to seeing what Feige does with the material, even if it's a ways out.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!