Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Last Stand

36 46.75%
  • Dark Phoenix

41 53.25%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    It was in What If The Phoenix Lives. In that Jean dusts Kitty X3/DP style.

Jean can destroy a Star so I’m sure she can dust people.
    Oh wow, let's let a reinterpretation(she is clearly burning Kitty to ash with the red Phoenix fire aura) of a single scene of a random What-If determine the entire visual effect for Phoenix in two movies!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

The forest incident and Mystique’s death were presented as an accidents rather than Jean intentionally harming innocent people like in X3.

The D’Bari were villains trying to destroy the world so her dusting them was a heroic act.
    If you get drunk and run someone over, you're still a villain to that person's family, even if you didn't mean it.

You can neutralize an enemy without sadistically playing with their destruction.

Extraordinary Member

The biggest mistake both movies made was completely and utterly failing to have any sort of build-up to Dark Pheonix. That alone doomed both as an adaptation.

If I were judging them purely as adaptations, then I guess DP would win for being slightly more accurate to the original story. But I'm not judging them as adaptations, but as movies, and by that criteria Last Stand wins hands down because it has some merit as a popcorn flick and it has many scenes that are great on their own, like the first scene with kid Warren or Beast's resigning from the government. Dark Pheonix has nothing, and at its absolute best it's just boring.

100% sunofdarkchild.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

To the filmmakers credit Dark Phoenix was meant to be a two-parter but the studio screwed in late pre-production.

Fox definitely had a way with screwing over this franchise. That's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Of all the forms these shapeshifting aliens could have taken, Fox chose what they chose. They carefully planned and edited what they filmed. They though brutalizing black male forms should make for an exciting action scene.
    Or maybe the actors had the best auditions?

Dude, seriously, I think you're reaching here.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Or maybe the actors had the best auditions?

Dude, seriously, I think you're reaching here.
    Reaching? Hmm. What happened to all the black male mutants in Fox-Men's films? Both of them were literally blown up on screen. Both of them are actually un-blowupable, given their powers and the circumstances at hand, but Fox chose to graphically blow them up.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I actually though Dark Phoenix was the better crafted movie in general. What about X3 lead you to your conclusion?
    I can elaborate more but the same post has my basic explanation:

I recently watched the original trilogy back to back and was surprised to like X3 the best. The theme of the weaponized cure, Rogue struggling with her inability to touch, Charles and Magneto's shared respect despite being adversaries, even the action is better. I also thought Beast was spot on and a great piece of the ensemble, more so than his younger counterpart. Jean killing Xavier was also much more shocking and disturbing than anything Sophie's did.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The biggest mistake both movies made was completely and utterly failing to have any sort of build-up to Dark Pheonix. That alone doomed both as an adaptation.
    This reminds me of another point Dark Phoenix has over X3.

I’ll go with Dark Phoenix for these reasons:

-It has a focused storyline unlike X3 which was disjointed and all over the place with plot lines that go nowhere. Dark Phoenix’s problem is that the story is rushed and too short.

-Dark Phoenix had far superior action scenes, some of the best in the series.

-Dark Phoenix further explores themes of destiny that were established in DOFP and Apocalypse which I had found thought provoking.

-Jean actually fights people in this movie unlike in X3, where she was just standing around and only dust peoples for two scenes.

-The X-Men showcasing proper teamwork, which was only ever present in First Class.
    The cast in Dark Phoenix are more developed than the original cast in X3. So that’s another point. The only characters with proper development in the original trilogy was Wolverine. While the prequel series developed Xavier, Magneto, Mystique, and Beast. Prequel Jean also has more development than OT Jean Grey. So I found myself caring more Dark Phoenix’s characters overall.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 07-02-2019 at 11:27 PM.

Dark phoenix.

No comparison, imo. Sure it has a lot of issues but it has way more comic-accurate elements than the last stand. The elements that aren’t accurate are at least inspired by the original material (d’bari replacing shiar for example).

I liked last stand but for Phoenix to be a subplot about jean having. Repressed mental illnesss... yea no thanks
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    If you get drunk and run someone over, you're still a villain to that person's family, even if you didn't mean it.

You can neutralize an enemy without sadistically playing with their destruction.
    The Hulk accidentally killed people in Incredible Hulk and the Avengers(revealed in Civil War), like Jean.

MCU Frank Castle enjoys killing bad guys, like Jean.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 07-03-2019 at 03:24 AM.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

The Hulk accidentally killed people in Incredible Hulk and the Avengers(revealed in Civil War), like Jean.

MCU Frank Castle enjoys killing bad guys, like Jean.
    There was also that scene in Guardians of the Galaxy, vol. 2 where Rocket and Yondu joyfully murder all those Ravagers. Guess it's different when you put a retro song over the carnage.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

The last stand

I can't forgive Fox for messing up a 2nd time. They shouldn't even have attempted the movie. Jean was a supporting character in Apocalypse, why should we care about her heel turn if she hasn't been properly introduced.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thechronic92 View Post
    The last stand

I can't forgive Fox for messing up a 2nd time. They shouldn't even have attempted the movie. Jean was a supporting character in Apocalypse, why should we care about her heel turn if she hasn't been properly introduced.
    This is a big problem. Neither developed her particularly well, it at least in the original trilogy she was an established hero first with plenty of connections to main characters.