see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Default The Vagaries of Buying Digital: Post Release Changes

So, I just learned that DC deleted pages from the digital version of Batman #12 by King where Batman admits he was going to slit his wrists when he was 10.

https://batman-news.com/2019/11/21/batman-83-review/

I have always been a digital only advocate because not only is good for the environment but it saves space and is extremely convenient when you live in an apartment; so I only buy digital games, films, television shows, and comics.

But learning this, it gives me pause especially because it was done after it was released; what gives DC or any other publisher the right to change something so integral to the story after I bought the issue.

Now I know the Bat Penis was deleted from digital issues but that was prior to release.

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2018/...0/batman-penis

Now, I understand that when you are buying digital you are only buying the license for the privilege to read the issue; but the changes without any notification of option to opt out is ridiculous.

Objecting to the content is one thing, but to completely excise it is beyond ridiculous.

At least with video games you can not update if you so choose; but this really makes me question by digital only future.

DC didn’t alter the issue. I don’t know why the reviewer thought that but s/he is completely wrong. It hasn’t been changed.
    Cheers - CL

I can only think of one instance of this happening. X-Men Gold #1. There were anti-semitic references disguised in the art, so they altered a couple of pages. The artist got fired too.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04...dding-grocery/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Loco View Post
    DC didn’t alter the issue. I don’t know why the reviewer thought that but s/he is completely wrong. It hasn’t been changed.
    I cannot confirm because I don't have the physical copy. If the reviewer is being hyperbolic then that is very irresponsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I can only think of one instance of this happening. X-Men Gold #1. There were anti-semitic references disguised in the art, so they altered a couple of pages. The artist got fired too.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04...dding-grocery/
    This brings up a sticky case, in this situation I think it is okay to alter it because it wasn't the story being altered but the illustrators abhorrent beliefs.

I think a good thing to check would be the early New52 comics that were edited for the trades later to remove Titans references.

My digital copy of Teen Titans #1 still has Miss Martian being green and Red Robin referring to himself as being Robin previously.
    And my copy of Batwoman #1 still has Flamebird mentioning being a Teen Titan.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I think a good thing to check would be the early New52 comics that were edited for the trades later to remove Titans references.

My digital copy of Teen Titans #1 still has Miss Martian being green and Red Robin referring to himself as being Robin previously.
    And my copy of Batwoman #1 still has Flamebird mentioning being a Teen Titan.
    How did they edit it out?

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    How did they edit it out?
    They were edited out in the trade paperback releases.
    Just changed the word balloons.

Tim Drake doesn't mention being "Robin, the Boy Wonder", he just mentions being Red Robin.
    They changed Bette from saying she was a Teen Titan and fought Deathstroke to saying she was a superhero and fought Deathstroke.

I believe changes were also made to a Batman issue and Red Hood/Outlaws.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Changes are made all the time before publishing, and are made after publishing as well. It's been part of publishing from the beginning. If you buy the paperback copy of a book and compare it with the earlier hardcover, you will often find oodles of changes, usually on the level of typoes fixed, but sometimes larger ones as well. Likewise with home video releases compared to the earlier theatrical releases.

So if you want to keep a particular digital release, then the only option is to keep a local copy of it.

Now, the reasons for doing such a post-publication change might suck, but there are also good and valid reasons for doing them.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Changes are made all the time before publishing, and are made after publishing as well. It's been part of publishing from the beginning. If you buy the paperback copy of a book and compare it with the earlier hardcover, you will often find oodles of changes, usually on the level of typoes fixed, but sometimes larger ones as well. Likewise with home video releases compared to the earlier theatrical releases.

So if you want to keep a particular digital release, then the only option is to keep a local copy of it.

Now, the reasons for doing such a post-publication change might suck, but there are also good and valid reasons for doing them.
    Oh, I agree that they should fix technical things like typos or printing errors; but content wise I don't know if I would appreciate it.

I guess my issue is that when I buy digital I assume it the same as having a book on my shelf, so I wouldn't be happy if someone came into my house and changed my books I expect the same for my digital library.

Why not have multiple versions of the issue in your digital library so if you want to go back to the original unchanged version you can.

But this may be my personal issue and I have to accept that in a digital age, nothing is permanent unless you have a local copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post

My digital copy of Teen Titans #1 still has Miss Martian being green
    Miss Martian being a white martian isn't a New 52 retcon. There's no reason she shouldn't be green - she chose to look that way. So if they changed it, that was an odd decision (and one later reverted it seems - she has green skin in New Justice Titans).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Miss Martian being a white martian isn't a New 52 retcon. There's no reason she shouldn't be green - she chose to look that way. So if they changed it, that was an odd decision (and one later reverted it seems - she has green skin in New Justice Titans).
    She's not drawn as White Martian, she was made caucasian, blonde, and her outfit was recolored. It was a small panel showing how teen metahumans are being hunted and she never appeared again until Rebirth.

All the changes they made related to New 52 Titans was because they want Tim's team to be the first Teen Titans. The one they can't change though is that Dick, Kori, and Roy were once a team because the three knowing each other is essential for Outlaws' back story, so they just never named the team and just say they were once a team.

About digital, I'm always apprehensive buying them because I never know when they're gonna decide to pull the plug or start to demand unreasonable things. In video games, there are games that were pulled because the companies have a change of mind and with software companies, they don't want to support old software so the just delete it and force you to buy the new software. (I think this one is similar to how digital comic forced an update on you, but in this case, it's a free update)

I trust the DC digital shop only because it's their own shop, this company has existed since the 40s and they're selling eternal iconic heroes so I see them keeping this service forever, I don't do subscription, and I only buy at sales.

Even then there are comics that are already pulled. The DC 101. After Rebirth, these free short stories explaining who these characters are in Post Crisis continuity is unavailable. I think they've also pulled the DC You Free Previews, the short stories they use to promote DC You.

So I started to save the... unofficial version of the books I buy on my PC because if I own them I own them.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 11-25-2019 at 02:20 PM.