Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Well, Fables (Detective Comics Annual #1, Green Arrow and Question Annuals) would be cool. They just digitized it and collected it in Dark Knight Detective Vol 2 (for the Tec annual), so hopefully the GA and Question annuals won't be too far behind.

I got my physical copy (from ebay) of the Tec Annual signed by Klaus Janson this year - it was really cool (though I prefer reading it digitally )
    Old School me prefers paper. Can you put the connecting covers together with digital copies? But in any format, Fables is well worth reading.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Old School me prefers paper. Can you put the connecting covers together with digital copies? But in any format, Fables is well worth reading.
    I didn't realize they were connecting!

As a Batman fan first and foremost, the first part of the story hit me a lot harder than the rest. At first, I thought it was just another well crafted story - but then, the last page hit me like a ton of bricks. I've rarely had that level of emotional surprise at how deep it went.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

https://io9.gizmodo.com/exclusive-dc...d-t-1836255597

According to the article, Lemire's miniseries would focus on Vic stumbling onto a supernatural mystery about his time as the Question. He's been living and dying in Hub City during the Old West to the 1930s.

that's interesting.

I liked the 2005 miniseries with the Question in Metropolis. It had an interesting supernatural/mystical angle so I like that vibe for my street level heroes. It had one twist too many but I wished that team got to continue.

My intro for the Question was from the JLU and he was great there. I wouldn't mind a tv show or movie for him but I'd settle for another solo.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/exclusive-dc...d-t-1836255597

According to the article, Lemire's miniseries would focus on Vic stumbling onto a supernatural mystery about his time as the Question. He's been living and dying in Hub City during the Old West to the 1930s.

that's interesting.

I liked the 2005 miniseries with the Question in Metropolis. It had an interesting supernatural/mystical angle so I like that vibe for my street level heroes. It had one twist too many but I wished that team got to continue.

My intro for the Question was from the JLU and he was great there. I wouldn't mind a tv show or movie for him but I'd settle for another solo.
    Great interview, thanks for posting!

That sounds interesting - I hope that it's a solid take!

My own experience with the Question is so dominated by Rucka through Cry for Blood and 52. I've only read a few issues of the O'Neil series. And, of course, there's Rorschach.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/06/02/...in-smith-dceu/
    Kevin Smith wanted to do a Question tv show for Netflix (they could always move it to DC Universe).

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/qa-9-a...th-anniversary

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/dream-...-action-heroes

SyfyWire's retrospective on the Question and a Dream Casting article about him and the other Ditko heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/06/02/...in-smith-dceu/
    Kevin Smith wanted to do a Question tv show for Netflix (they could always move it to DC Universe).

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/qa-9-a...th-anniversary

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/dream-...-action-heroes

SyfyWire's retrospective on the Question and a Dream Casting article about him and the other Ditko heroes.
    Has Smith ever touched Question before?

I've long thought the Question would work a lot better as a series rather than a movie. But the Netflix model wouldn't suit him in my mind - he doesn't need a Big Bad or an over-arching storyline. He would work best as an episodic, where he gets to tackle a different form of villain/social issue each week. The throughline would be his own personal development. I guess unless you really wanted to base him on the Mulder conspiracist model, but personally, that's not my first choice.

It'd work as a series because it doesn't require a huge budget and it could be more about Vic Sage than about the vigilante - especially if his whole purpose was to investigate stories as Sage and expose criminals on his show, etc.

I also think Syfywire's casting is way off. I used to think William Russ would have been great when he was playing Roger Laccoco on "Wiseguy." Not really sure who would be the best right now...

2588263675d313d3aa06af2f1b1e9c80.jpg

This comment has been screencapped and archived on my hard drive.

zzekhkcycjvs0ssqcdnn.jpg

hester.jpg

The Question mini documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Has Smith ever touched Question before?
    I don't think he has yet.

By netflix, i think he meant more the tone than the specific story structure. I'm not even sure Netflix would do a Question series because they seem to be moving away from DC/Marvel.

Its gonna be on DC Universe for sure.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 07-15-2019 at 07:36 AM.

I have finished binge reading the O’Neil run because it is great and has awesome cover art. Any recommendations for other Question related stories? I know I’ve read a some, but it’s been ages and I don’t remember what is what.

@Ulysses: I’m totally going to check that out when I’m not at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
    I have finished binge reading the O’Neil run because it is great and has awesome cover art. Any recommendations for other Question related stories? I know I’ve read a some, but it’s been ages and I don’t remember what is what.

Batman/Huntress: Cry for Blood and the maxi-series 52.

There's also The Question: Pipeline, starring Renee Montoya, but that's hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio View Post

Hey this is my wheelhouse and I'm fairly familiar with The Question's history but just because there isn't that much of The Question to read. By reading O'Neil/Cowan, you have read the consensus definitive Question stories. I'd love hear your take on the series and The Question in general is and what your favourite bits from the series are.

-> As for what else to read, I suspect 52 is probably next in line. It tells the story of Vic's death and his passing on of the the torch to Montoya. I think the decision was well received. The story is good in my estimation but not nearly good enough to topple O'Neil's Vic as the best fit for what The Question represents. We can have discussion about that after you've read the story if you want.

-> If you do want to read Montoya Question then you'd have to get Detective 854-864 where she - as The Question - appeared as a back up story. I believe this arc is collected. Lovely art by Hamner. The story itself I can't comment on because I don't remember it. Clearly it wasn't very memorable to me.

-> There is also a Rick Veitch mini that places The Question in Metropolis and gives him powers. It's a good story but it appears it will be completely ignored by Rucka and Bendis. Possibly not by Lemire (I'm guessing he will incorporate).

-> If you can track them down, the two issues of Mr. A and the one issue of Mysterious Suspense by Ditko are worth a read for the sheer thrill of reading a complete uncensored Ditko using the character as his mouthpiece. The art in Mr. A is fantastic. Know however, that it is essentially propaganda. Ditko failed where Stanley Liebert excelled at the creation of archetypal characters and stories. Ditko's strength was to match Liebert's archetypal ideas with archetypal designs. It is for this reason that I feel Ditko's best contribution to The Question character is a striking design.

-> You may want to check the JLU episodes Vic was in. It's a very different take on The Question but one that clicked with a portion of the audience whom (I suspect) had not read O'Neil's run. To me, JLU Vic is a good character but he is nearly unrelated to the type of person The Question had been established as being by O'Neil. That said, "Conspiracy Vic" makes sense for the cultural context within which he was born and is also a much easier sell because he is a gimmicky. JLU Question is elevator pitch Question. O'Neil Question is headier, more literary and ambiguous. A tougher sell these days but in my view, much more necessary. Lemire seems to agree as evidenced by this quote from a recent interview:

"There’s so much angst in society right now that stems from people not being able to see things from one another’s perspectives, and so a character like the Question can almost start off as a cipher who goes on a journey that brings shades of grey into his world as his story unfolds."
    Here's hoping the series is successful and that The Question returns to his cultural function of making uncertainty sexy again.

There are other stories here and there (some printed by Charlton, he appeared in a few issues of bronze age blue beetle) but really no stories have reached the depth of nuance and the heights of iconicism of the O'Neil/Cowan run.