Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Hey this is my wheelhouse and I'm fairly familiar with The Question's history but just because there isn't that much of The Question to read. By reading O'Neil/Cowan, you have read the consensus definitive Question stories. I'd love hear your take on the series and The Question in general is and what your favourite bits from the series are.

-> As for what else to read, I suspect 52 is probably next in line. It tells the story of Vic's death and his passing on of the the torch to Montoya. I think the decision was well received. The story is good in my estimation but not nearly good enough to topple O'Neil's Vic as the best fit for what The Question represents. We can have discussion about that after you've read the story if you want.

-> If you do want to read Montoya Question then you'd have to get Detective 854-864 where she - as The Question - appeared as a back up story. I believe this arc is collected. Lovely art by Hamner. The story itself I can't comment on because I don't remember it. Clearly it wasn't very memorable to me.
    A much more thorough answer than mine, but Rucka (who wrote the Question parts of 52) wrote the Cry for Blood story, which I think is pretty clearly a bridge between O'Neil and what happens in 52. So I would definitely recommend it after reading O'Neil - Rucka has said in interviews that it's pretty directly a followup on what O'Neil did (http://www.vicsage.com/wp/interviews...a-part-2-of-5/)

The Tec 854-864 issues are the "Pipeline" story I was referring to. The backups are available on DCUniverse, but I dunno if they are included in Comixology's digital copies. The trade of that story is way, way out of print, though I recently got it secondhand. I think it suffers a bit from the backup format - 10 page chunks means that it lacks a throughline sometimes, and there's some elements that I think don't fully work in terms of character. But it's still quite good, and as a Huntress fan (obviously ) I think it's a very good read.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    A much more thorough answer than mine, but Rucka (who wrote the Question parts of 52) wrote the Cry for Blood story, which I think is pretty clearly a bridge between O'Neil and what happens in 52. So I would definitely recommend it after reading O'Neil - Rucka has said in interviews that it's pretty directly a followup on what O'Neil did (http://www.vicsage.com/wp/interviews...a-part-2-of-5/)

The Tec 854-864 issues are the "Pipeline" story I was referring to. The backups are available on DCUniverse, but I dunno if they are included in Comixology's digital copies. The trade of that story is way, way out of print, though I recently got it secondhand. I think it suffers a bit from the backup format - 10 page chunks means that it lacks a throughline sometimes, and there's some elements that I think don't fully work in terms of character. But it's still quite good, and as a Huntress fan (obviously ) I think it's a very good read.
    Thanks for mentioning CFB, it had escaped my memory. It's a good story.

This comment has been screencapped and archived on my hard drive.

Batman/Huntress: Cry for Blood and the maxi-series 52.

There's also The Question: Pipeline, starring Renee Montoya, but that's hard to find.
    I think I read Cry for Blood... is that the one where she has her Uncle kill her “dad”? (I can’t remember if they retconned that) and then Vic said, “Damn you!” At the end and left.

I have totally read the Pipeline one! It is totally hard to find! Which is not fair.

I totally have to read 52, I have never read the full thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
    I think I read Cry for Blood... is that the one where she has her Uncle kill her “dad”? (I can’t remember if they retconned that) and then Vic said, “Damn you!” At the end and left.

I have totally read the Pipeline one! It is totally hard to find! Which is not fair.

I totally have to read 52, I have never read the full thing.
    That is correct about Cry for Blood. (And also it is indeed not fair that Pipeline is so hard to find).

OH! I forgot - if you like Pipeline and 52 and Gotham Central, Convergence: The Question is a MUST READ. It has the same writer/artist team as Pipeline, and is one of the few miniseries from the Convergence event that is a totally excellent, profoundly moving comic.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Hey this is my wheelhouse and I'm fairly familiar with The Question's history but just because there isn't that much of The Question to read. By reading O'Neil/Cowan, you have read the consensus definitive Question stories. I'd love hear your take on the series and The Question in general is and what your favourite bits from the series are.

-> As for what else to read, I suspect 52 is probably next in line. It tells the story of Vic's death and his passing on of the the torch to Montoya. I think the decision was well received. The story is good in my estimation but not nearly good enough to topple O'Neil's Vic as the best fit for what The Question represents. We can have discussion about that after you've read the story if you want.

-> If you do want to read Montoya Question then you'd have to get Detective 854-864 where she - as The Question - appeared as a back up story. I believe this arc is collected. Lovely art by Hamner. The story itself I can't comment on because I don't remember it. Clearly it wasn't very memorable to me.

-> There is also a Rick Veitch mini that places The Question in Metropolis and gives him powers. It's a good story but it appears it will be completely ignored by Rucka and Bendis. Possibly not by Lemire (I'm guessing he will incorporate).

-> If you can track them down, the two issues of Mr. A and the one issue of Mysterious Suspense by Ditko are worth a read for the sheer thrill of reading a complete uncensored Ditko using the character as his mouthpiece. The art in Mr. A is fantastic. Know however, that it is essentially propaganda. Ditko failed where Stanley Liebert excelled at the creation of archetypal characters and stories. Ditko's strength was to match Liebert's archetypal ideas with archetypal designs. It is for this reason that I feel Ditko's best contribution to The Question character is a striking design.

-> You may want to check the JLU episodes Vic was in. It's a very different take on The Question but one that clicked with a portion of the audience whom (I suspect) had not read O'Neil's run. To me, JLU Vic is a good character but he is nearly unrelated to the type of person The Question had been established as being by O'Neil. That said, "Conspiracy Vic" makes sense for the cultural context within which he was born and is also a much easier sell because he is a gimmicky. JLU Question is elevator pitch Question. O'Neil Question is headier, more literary and ambiguous. A tougher sell these days but in my view, much more necessary. Lemire seems to agree as evidenced by this quote from a recent interview:

Here's hoping the series is successful and that The Question returns to his cultural function of making uncertainty sexy again.

There are other stories here and there (some printed by Charlton, he appeared in a few issues of bronze age blue beetle) but really no stories have reached the depth of nuance and the heights of iconicism of the O'Neil/Cowan run.

Okay, I will totally see about checking out 52, I admittedly only read a few issues. I’m making a checklist from this post and will hunt down all these materials. I have read the Blue Bettle issues, the old ads are something else. :P

So I have a hard time describing what I enjoy about things, but I will try my best.

Aesthetically, I love the covers, especially the first issue. I do appreciate the sort of film noir aspect of the stories too. Though when it hit the 80’s/90’s mohawk and look... I cringed...

I really liked the tone of the whole over arching story. Right from the beginning you can tell that the the characters are in a hard place. The issues are even “Recommended for Mature Readers” and I honestly feel that was the best way to convey the storytelling. Hub City is supposed to akin to Hell on Earth and the stories really reflect that. In addition, one thing I appreciated was the lack of a main villain, though that does make it hard for marketing, I supposed. The situation in Hub City is so severe that the city itself is the villain. We see Sage trying his hardest to beat this villain, and the city continues to beat him down.

Also what I appreciate about older comics is the way the story is told. We are given a story about the character, not the character telling the story. I like both ways, but when you read, “He hears the sleet pelting the wall, the roof, and the huffing of the wind and the low, distant rumbling of thunder—“ it really adds to the story, in my opinion. (Issue #3) And of course you still get the thought bubbles, that add to the dialogue in their own way.

Another thing I liked about the series was Vic Sage’s struggle with himself and the city. There was just something so right about it. This character doesn’t have super powers, but his determination is what really got me. He was on this constant up and down trying to control his anger and the situation his life was in. And in the end of the 1st volume, it proves too much and he even leaves Hub City. Of course he does come back, albeit not in the best of circumstances, and ends up reestablishing himself in the city. I was actually very sad to see that Jackie died.

I really liked his cast too, as small as it was. I identify with Tot greatly, in that I too need loads of coffee for life to have meaning. Myra was also a great character with her own issues, and I’m glad that her existence wasn’t just Vic. I really enjoyed the story of Izzy going from a corrupt cop to trying to be at least a decent one. Even the addition of Marco in the Question Quarterly was nice too.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I’m doing this at work. I know there’s more that I enjoyed, but words... they fail me.

That is correct about Cry for Blood. (And also it is indeed not fair that Pipeline is so hard to find).

OH! I forgot - if you like Pipeline and 52 and Gotham Central, Convergence: The Question is a MUST READ. It has the same writer/artist team as Pipeline, and is one of the few miniseries from the Convergence event that is a totally excellent, profoundly moving comic.
    I did read that! Totally forgot, but I did. It certainly gave me feels, they hurt.

I read the main convergence storyline, that I don’t think the Question appears in. And I read the Blue Beetle one that has Vic in it, it was kinda funny. :P

I did read that! Totally forgot, but I did. It certainly gave me feels, they hurt.

I read the main convergence storyline, that I don’t think the Question appears in. And I read the Blue Beetle one that has Vic in it, it was kinda funny. :P
    Haha, yes, Convergence is very confusing. But the Convergence: The Question #1 and #2 are pretty standalone, and a really awesome "ending" for Renee's journey.

Haha, yes, Convergence is very confusing. But the Convergence: The Question #1 and #2 are pretty standalone, and a really awesome "ending" for Renee's journey.
    Honestly, it was a good ending. I think it tied up her story very nicely.

On that note, I read Batman #66 and though he didn’t actually appear, I thought that it was awesome that Batman’s subconscious manifested itself Vic. It’s cool for me, because in the beginning of the Question Vol 1, Batman considered him an Amateur. Then in one of the annuals from one of their runs, he mentions that the Question was improving. Now he sees The Question at his level?

Also what are everyone’s thoughts of Renee and Vic being The Question? I’m kinda interested to see how everything works out.

The Rick Veitch Mini was more of a standalone romp in Metropolis. It's almost a team up with Superman but Vic and Clark mostly run parallel to each other, working the case but not really coming together till the end. His powers weren't given an explanation but I figured Veitch had an answer in his backup in case they caught on (they didn't ).

Renee is decent as the Question but never really got to make the role her own. Her sharing the role with Vic feels like a good middleground.

Honestly, it was a good ending. I think it tied up her story very nicely.

On that note, I read Batman #66 and though he didn’t actually appear, I thought that it was awesome that Batman’s subconscious manifested itself Vic. It’s cool for me, because in the beginning of the Question Vol 1, Batman considered him an Amateur. Then in one of the annuals from one of their runs, he mentions that the Question was improving. Now he sees The Question at his level?

Also what are everyone’s thoughts of Renee and Vic being The Question? I’m kinda interested to see how everything works out.
    I think Rucka writing them both is a pretty cool idea. I just hope he doesn't kill Vic off this time

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    His powers weren't given an explanation
    The powers were of a shamanic nature. I believe it was implied he got the powers from exposure to psychotropic hallucinogens (as in The Question #9).

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    The Rick Veitch Mini was more of a standalone romp in Metropolis. It's almost a team up with Superman but Vic and Clark mostly run parallel to each other, working the case but not really coming together till the end. His powers weren't given an explanation but I figured Veitch had an answer in his backup in case they caught on (they didn't ).

Renee is decent as the Question but never really got to make the role her own. Her sharing the role with Vic feels like a good middleground.
    I’ll have to check that out. Minis always seem to be in their own little world.

This is true, the New 52 happened before she really got a chance. I’m actually kinda excited to see how they work with each other as vigilantes.

I think Rucka writing them both is a pretty cool idea. I just hope he doesn't kill Vic off this time
    Yeah, from what I’ve read and from what others have said, I hope it’ll be good.

Oh goodness, I hope he doesn’t kill Vic off. I just finished Heroes in Crisis and it was awful. I can’t handle anymore character deaths right now.

Yeah, from what I’ve read and from what others have said, I hope it’ll be good.

Oh goodness, I hope he doesn’t kill Vic off. I just finished Heroes in Crisis and it was awful. I can’t handle anymore character deaths right now.
    I actually liked HiC, though I freely admit none of my favorite characters were in danger. I can definitely see it being really hard if they were.

That being said, I think it seems like a good time to be a Question fan right now. Just wish we had some kind of animated or live action show which would feature the Question.

Which reminds me - what do people think of Rorschach as Question fans? Do you agree with the famous O'Neil issue? Is the dozens of Rorschach's appearing the Watchmen HBO series trailer exciting or "meh"?

I actually liked HiC, though I freely admit none of my favorite characters were in danger. I can definitely see it being really hard if they were.

That being said, I think it seems like a good time to be a Question fan right now. Just wish we had some kind of animated or live action show which would feature the Question.

Which reminds me - what do people think of Rorschach as Question fans? Do you agree with the famous O'Neil issue? Is the dozens of Rorschach's appearing the Watchmen HBO series trailer exciting or "meh"?
    I was very sad about Roy. ...among other things...

It really does seem like it! I was thinking about that awhile ago. I’m glad I randomly decided to check out this character more while I was reintroducing myself to DC. I would love a movie, since I have commitment issues. I don’t think I can stick with something even if I enjoy it. My main concern though, is how whoever would execute it.

“Rorschach sucks.” I got such a kick off that issue. The whole time I was thinking, “Vic, you dummy!” ...If that’s what you’re referring too. Otherwise, scratch that. Admittedly, I don’t watch a lot of TV or streaming... I had no idea that existed until just now. I don’t know a lot about the character, but I must say that I am intrigued. I was thinking about hunting down some issues... but I’m not sure yet.

Not really having read much of the Ditko Question at the time, I didn't see them as any way similar. Now I see how Rorschach was inspired the Vic, but a lot more damaged. They're still very different now since the objectivist Question hasn't really been around in a long time - he's become a lot more post-modern and if anything almost the opposite of objectivist thinking.

All the Rorschachs in the HBO series just makes me think of "V for Vendetta," another Moore creation.