Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member

Certainly DC has already paved the way for the Justice Society to come back (Flash in the Flash, a few other references in other places, and obviously big time, JSA showing up in Snyder's Justice League soon). And certainly it's the catalyst behind Bendis bringing back the Legion of Super-Heroes. Those are without a doubt the big ones and make the most sense with all the timeline shenanigans. And we've got Three Jokers coming, which ties to Johns Justice League run (which DC is part of, effectively). But other than those three?

DC definitely uses Johns' noteworthy "versions" of Superman, the Green Lantern Corps, and the Shazam family. But we already have his Shazam! book, he's finished with GLC, and his Superman stuff is pretty far back in the past now.

I'd say something small and weird would be the way to go. Not with any of the Watchmen characters. Just somebody who turned up in DC with some relevance and would be interesting to see. But it's hard to pick from - DC definitely features a lot of DCU types but most of them are mainstays. Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman. Luthor. Joker. Black Adam. None of them are hurting for a DC launched spin-off. The Charlton characters are turning up other places (Beetle in HIC, Question in Rucka's Lois book, Peacemaker getting a backup). But they haven't really played a huge role in Doomsday Clock. The troublesome treatment of Wally at least seems like it has a direction they're attempting, whether it's good and we like it or not, at least there's something with him.

Yeah, I'm not really sure.

I'm kind of just hoping there's a general wrap-up thesis statement on the nature of the DC Universe itself that other writers enjoy and refer back to. Though it's more of a "road to Doomsday Clock" thing, I would like to know where the hell Owlman, the Mobius Chair, and Metron got off to. You know, other than "PLOP"/"SPLAT".
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I was expecting a Firestorm series (explaining what the hell with Dr. Stein), but I also had expected a Firestorm series from Brightest day.
    Sadly I doubt the Stein stuff will ever be referenced again.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Since whatever the original plan was for the DC with Doomsday Clock and beyond has been gutted by Dan "I have no plan at all" Didio the whole mini really doesn't amount to much. Bendis has somehow weaseled his way into the spot Johns had before as being the man who is setting the tone for what DC is now, so whatever Johns was setting up going forward has been scrapped in favor of what ever Bendis and his followers are going to do.

I'd personally love to see a new History of the DC Universe series that's similar to what Bendis is doing with the DC future timeline: firmly retelling history starting with the likes of Anthro and going up thru the debut of Naomi. Incorporate the Middle Ages, the Old West, WWII, everything up to today. Keep some of the newer things that worked ("Hey, Demon Knights was kinda cool"), jettison what doesn't, and reincorporate the things that should be there, like the JSA/All-Star Squadron, Cyborg's history with the Titans, and a realistic enough Batman timeline to allow for five Robins (including Stephanie there).

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    I'd personally love to see a new History of the DC Universe series that's similar to what Bendis is doing with the DC future timeline: firmly retelling history starting with the likes of Anthro and going up thru the debut of Naomi. Incorporate the Middle Ages, the Old West, WWII, everything up to today. Keep some of the newer things that worked ("Hey, Demon Knights was kinda cool"), jettison what doesn't, and reincorporate the things that should be there, like the JSA/All-Star Squadron, Cyborg's history with the Titans, and a realistic enough Batman timeline to allow for five Robins (including Stephanie there).
    I honestly don't think anyone in power at DC these days cares enough about the continuity of the past to do something like that without it just being a total mess. Hell I don't trust Bendis to get the future thing he is doing to make sense. A project like that you need someone who knows and love the past to really get it right and most of the big names at DC these days don't care about what happened a year ago let alone anything beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I honestly don't think anyone in power at DC these days cares enough about the continuity of the past to do something like that without it just being a total mess. Hell I don't trust Bendis to get the future thing he is doing to make sense. A project like that you need someone who knows and love the past to really get it right and most of the big names at DC these days don't care about what happened a year ago let alone anything beyond that.
    Unfortunately, I have to agree that DC either doesn't care enough or isn't competent enough to put together a new History of the DC Universe and then stick with it.

If you look back to the Secret Origins series during the New52 (2014-2015), how many of those stories seemed forgotten / out-of-continuity within a month or so of being published?

Nothing is spinning out of it. It's not even doing what we thought it was going to do. Fix the continuity mess and account for the stolen/lost years.
    since writers like Scott Synder seem to consider it an elseworld.

Interesting tale but don't see much spinning out of it.

Spectacular Member

I guess I have a different hope/expectation. I honestly believe that if this had followed the expected timetable, the plan was for DC to get a "reboot" after the miniseries and snap back into a world with the Legion, JSA, living Pa and Ma Kent, etc. HOWEVER, Johns got delayed and delayed and delayed, and the result was a reshuffling, forcing writers to change course or just bring back pre-Flashpoint as part of the plotline rather than waiting on the DDC miniseries. If people are REALLY paying attention, in Young Justice the pre-flashpoint timeline is clearly snapping back (see the Tim issue alone, as described the last couple of months). Bendis is "bringing it back." Same in JLA with respect to the JSA. Snyder is "bringing it back." Same as the upcoming Superman (again Bendis) reintroducing Superboy to meet the Legion of Superheroes ("bringing it back"). I don't think it's mere coincidence that all of these "bringing it back" plotlines are appearing right around when DDC was supposed to be completed. Do you? I think Johns' delays just forced various writers to address it differently than first planned. With respect to Firestorm (Stein), Geoforce and other matters, I expect we might see the ripples afterwards in various storylines not currently ongoing. In any case, I STILL expect DDC will have an impact, but ONLY after it's done.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar's Bands View Post
    I guess I have a different hope/expectation. I honestly believe that if this had followed the expected timetable, the plan was for DC to get a "reboot" after the miniseries and snap back into a world with the Legion, JSA, living Pa and Ma Kent, etc. HOWEVER, Johns got delayed and delayed and delayed, and the result was a reshuffling, forcing writers to change course or just bring back pre-Flashpoint as part of the plotline rather than waiting on the DDC miniseries. If people are REALLY paying attention, in Young Justice the pre-flashpoint timeline is clearly snapping back (see the Tim issue alone, as described the last couple of months). Bendis is "bringing it back." Same in JLA with respect to the JSA. Snyder is "bringing it back." Same as the upcoming Superman (again Bendis) reintroducing Superboy to meet the Legion of Superheroes ("bringing it back"). I don't think it's mere coincidence that all of these "bringing it back" plotlines are appearing right around when DDC was supposed to be completed. Do you? I think Johns' delays just forced various writers to address it differently than first planned. With respect to Firestorm (Stein), Geoforce and other matters, I expect we might see the ripples afterwards in various storylines not currently ongoing. In any case, I STILL expect DDC will have an impact, but ONLY after it's done.
    Interesting that I read another theory today which is that the delays have been BECAUSE of Synder, Bendis and King. In other words, they've had to rewrite/reconsider certain storylines in DDC to adjust to storylines in the Batman/Superman/Young Justice books. It appears they are all heading in the same direction, but getting there can be complicated.