Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default To many comics coming out

I was scanning the Previews for September.It looks like i lot of comics shipping.Do you find marvel is shipping to much and there should be a limit to how many comics should ship?I know its about the money for them but what about the readers

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    I was scanning the Previews for September.It looks like i lot of comics shipping.Do you find marvel is shipping to much and there should be a limit to how many comics should ship?I know its about the money for them but what about the readers
    That's obviously an issue for the market. Demand needs to meet supply. At a certain point putting out TOO many books will cost them more than what they're generating. I'm sure they have number crunchers at Disney that figures all this stuff out.

But as far as readers go... I think the more the better. The more books are on the shelf, the more likely we'll find stuff we want. There may end up being too many books we want, but for marvel and us that's a better problem than too few books we want.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I think the number of monthly titles shipped is largely irrelevant. People will buy what they wish to buy, and some titles will get lost in the shuffle even with a relatively small month of comics. Sales will continue to decrease regardless of anything Marvel does as printed periodicals have been on a downturn for over a decade. They want material for collected editions which are generally more lucrative.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

The readers can buy what they want and read the rest on Unlimited later.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

It's all R & D for Marvel Studios

This week alone there were three comics about Peter Parker (ASM, FNSM and Reptilian Rage)
    That's ridiculous.
    And I'm not even counting Superior and the annual with Spider-Ham.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    How to know that you're not missing out a story that would please you even more because you can't afford (money and time) to buy all ?

I find that my tastes for current series are usually fairly limited, so it's not a problem for me. Heck, I usually have trouble with stuff I'd like to be made not being made.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I was eight at a spinner rack and was perfectly capable of deciding which comics I wanted, which comics I didn't, and had a firm grasp on quantity limitations due to money available. How do people decide which TV show to watch or which song to listen to? And the grocery has so much food! What if there are different food I might like?

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    How to know that you're not missing out a story that would please you even more because you can't afford (money and time) to buy all ?
    Faith in the Lord our God, Brevoort's hat.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I would rather have TOO many comics produced from which too choose, than not enough.

Quite frankly, I have never seen this to be an issue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Yeah, the problem of too many comics isn't really a problem.

Just buy what you want, leave the rest.

If you want, you can always catch up stuff you missed later.

I likely never would have gotten the comic I wanted for a long time under a smaller line.

I welcome the greater amount of choice.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Extraordinary Member

There are too many comics for the amount of readers and good creators. So, it might look great seeing so much to choose from, but the books do not end up worth reading, or they get canceled because no one bought them. Even titles that would probably have been safe, stable multi year runs end up failing. Read enough bad comics or have enough good comics canceled and people just move on.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I likely never would have gotten the comic I wanted for a long time under a smaller line.

I welcome the greater amount of choice.
    This. More comics means that more characters beyond the superstars get titles, and people can enjoy their own unique things. Also, I highly doubt that there are too many people out there who feel the need to buy almost every Marvel comic being purchased.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."