Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

For reference, I have finally found it here: http://lamerciepark.com/legacy/comics/spidey.html

Archie Goodwin didn't want the job. He did it, he told me, because Stan asked him to but he never wanted it and was glad to be rid of it. The Marvel EIC chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane and, ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    It was probably discussed over in the X-forum, since it's mainly about an X-book.
    Yeah, that's exactly why I posted it there and not here. Next time, Celgress, check the X-Men and Spider-Man forums first.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I've been reluctant to bring up his name about other issues but I notice he does mention C.B. Cebulski as part of the problem. I wonder why this is why other talent has left Marvel the past couple of years.
    It may also speak to the wider question that I have been musing on for months. Did Alonso quit?

But yes, to the wider point this has a thread over on the X-Men forums. Where I have already made my more specific thoughts known.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    For reference, I have finally found it here: http://lamerciepark.com/legacy/comics/spidey.html
    Come to think of it, what is Alonso doing nowadays?

Good question - I've not heard anything about him since he left Marvel.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Come to think of it, what is Alonso doing nowadays?
    https://awastudios.net/news.html

This, I believe, with Bill Jemas.

I just had to delete a whole lot of posts. I don't like doing that.
    Here's a reminder for those wishing to discuss the topic at hand:
    * Stay on topic. Personal remarks, aimed at other users or creators, will not be tolerated.
    * Comicsgate has proven itself, time and again, to be a harassment group steeped in homophobia, transphobia, creator abuse, and so many other poor behavioural choices that it would be hard to list them all. They are not welcome here. If you wish to support them, go hang out on kiwifarms or wherever.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I just had to delete a whole lot of posts. I don't like doing that.
    Here's a reminder for those wishing to discuss the topic at hand:
    * Stay on topic. Personal remarks, aimed at other users or creators, will not be tolerated.
    * Comicsgate has proven itself, time and again, to be a harassment group steeped in homophobia, transphobia, creator abuse, and so many other poor behavioural choices that it would be hard to list them all. They are not welcome here. If you wish to support them, go hang out on kiwifarms or wherever.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    https://awastudios.net/news.html

This, I believe, with Bill Jemas.
    Indeed. And the mission statement seems to be ‘No Fear’, to me that sounds very familiar because this always seemed to be Axel’s ethos at Marvel. Let us hope Marvel can continue to support and encourage fearless creativity without him.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-02-2019 at 05:22 AM.

Incredible Member

https://www.cbr.com/iceman-sina-grac...#leave-comment

I commented on this article and what answers did I get? That Grace was a bad writer! I don't care about his writing skills, it's not about that, it's about harrassement, the guy has been threatened with rape and murder by people who call themselves comic fans! About a comic book that is a reference to the struggles of minorities in front of hatred.
    Those people are not comics fans, they're toxic trolls, period.
    Not recognizing that is being part of the problem.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Anything in the public eye can land you with death threats on social media these days. There are a lot of weirdos who think the way to express their displeasure about something is to threaten to murder someone online.

It honestly would not shock me to hear that 80 or even 90% of current superhero comic writers have received death threats on their public social media at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Anything in the public eye can land you with death threats on social media these days. There are a lot of weirdos who think the way to express their displeasure about something is to threaten to murder someone online.

It honestly would not shock me to hear that 80 or even 90% of current superhero comic writers have received death threats on their public social media at some point.
    Even if that were true it’s not excusable. From my perspective it usually seems focused on specific people or issues. Hot button topics. I mean you can pretty much predict which books will provoke reaction as you are reading them, some come out of left field though.

That certainly doesn’t mean the writers are in the wrong, and it doesn’t suggest to me that Marvel shouldn’t bother to try and do anything about it.

It seems to me comic book publishers have always tried to have things both ways. They want to be considered publishers, and yet they want to own the stories and the characters. They will sit back and distance themselves when they are in publisher mode, but claim all the credit when they are in IP owner mode. The author of a controversial book is not the same as someone that has been commissioned to write something that might be perceived controversial.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-03-2019 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post

I have no doubt that your statistics might be correct. However, they are also misleading, because it matters from whom the threat comes, and how many threats (and how serious they are) a given creator receives, and their nature.

A lone weirdo sending a tweet to, say, Bendis might be just random chance. A Youtuber with 100k subscribers claiming that "a good X is a dead X" when discussing a creator belonging to group X is on wholly another level. Especially when there is a real history of violence and threats against group X. Threats can also escalate in non-violent ways, like with doxxing.

I also fully agree with JKtheMac's analysis. Marvel has a moral obligation to their creators, especially since they ask the creators to be the public faces of their titles.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])