Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I really with there was a 616 version that mirrored the 712’s.

We already have Kyle.

Amphibian would be a mutant and double as an X-character.

Speed Demon could reform - again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The Squadron works best for me when they are on their own Earth with just an occasional crossover.
    Yeah, I think the appeal to the Squadron really is you can tell stories you can't tell in the regular DC or Marvel. Put them in the regular 616 and they just become another bunch of superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I really with there was a 616 version that mirrored the 712’s.

We already have Kyle.

Amphibian would be a mutant and double as an X-character.

Speed Demon could reform - again.
    Marvel zombies did something like that,with a zombie avengers team of Sentry, Moonknight, Thundra, Quicksilver, Quasar,Namor and Super Skrull.
    I wonder if such team ever would become official in the 616.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Because DC has never used pastiches of Marvel characters right?
    In a 1966 Brave&Bold team up with Metamorpho, Batman became Bat-Hulk!

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, I think the appeal to the Squadron really is you can tell stories you can't tell in the regular DC or Marvel. Put them in the regular 616 and they just become another bunch of superheroes.
    that makes no sense. a lot of characters have gone from being active in their own "universes" to operating in the 616 Marvel Universe. Spider-woman used to go several issues without encountering any other superheroes; same with Blade. the Squadron could be from the 616 and still adventure all over the place. just requires imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    that makes no sense. a lot of characters have gone from being active in their own "universes" to operating in the 616 Marvel Universe. Spider-woman used to go several issues without encountering any other superheroes; same with Blade. the Squadron could be from the 616 and still adventure all over the place. just requires imagination.
    They can still have adventures .. they just can't have the same effect as they would in their own universe.

If the Squadron tried taking over the world like they do in other realities, the Avengers would stop them and that woyld be that. You csn go full Watchmen when its another reality. But in the 616, nothing you do has the same impact to the same scale.

Stories you see in Squadron or Watchmen or Miracle Man or the Authority almost never happen in the proper marvel or dc universe.

They can still have adventures .. they just can't have the same effect as they would in their own universe.

If the Squadron tried taking over the world like they do in other realities, the Avengers would stop them and that woyld be that. You csn go full Watchmen when its another reality. But in the 616, nothing you do has the same impact to the same scale.

Stories you see in Squadron or Watchmen or Miracle Man or the Authority almost never happen in the proper marvel or dc universe.
    they happen often. they are just undone. Norman Osborn was, in effect, running the world. Malekith has currently taken over. Doom has done it a few times. pretty sure that Kang did it. Apocalypse. etc. and that's the thing. you can't ever do it full-term. it's boring. there were only so many stories they could tell with the Squadron having full control. it's the struggle for control that is entertaining imo.

Spider Woman and Blade are not the best exaples to compare. They both operate more in the shadows, street level adventures. Just look what happened in the last series of the Squadron. Their first adventure was to destroy Atlantis, fight the Avengers and then they spend a lot of time, lost in the magic land. And in the end they were arrested by SHIELD.

Yep, status quo is the rule. The Squadron was a foil to overcome that rule in their own universe.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

they happen often. they are just undone. Norman Osborn was, in effect, running the world. Malekith has currently taken over. Doom has done it a few times. pretty sure that Kang did it. Apocalypse. etc. and that's the thing. you can't ever do it full-term. it's boring. there were only so many stories they could tell with the Squadron having full control. it's the struggle for control that is entertaining imo.
    But its not really Watchmen or Miracle Man if its undone in 4 issues. Squadron was marvels way to telling those sort of stories without really disrupting the 616 status quo too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Spider Woman and Blade are not the best exaples to compare. They both operate more in the shadows, street level adventures. Just look what happened in the last series of the Squadron. Their first adventure was to destroy Atlantis, fight the Avengers and then they spend a lot of time, lost in the magic land. And in the end they were arrested by .
    Entirely the doing of a writer who didn't like or understand the characters he was writing; at least not as much as Jim Hammond and Namor. And you're both missing the point. I'm saying that they originate from the 616. Doesn't mean they don't find/adopt a world of their own. I'm talking about giving them some legitimacy, dismissing the alternate reality squadrons we've seen lose time and time again, and formally introducing the real Squadron Supreme. They could even work the new universe characters into it. They don't appear to be time displaced. They have 616 backstories. And they seem to prefer operating in the shadows.

But its not really Watchmen or Miracle Man if its undone in 4 issues. Squadron was marvels way to telling those sort of stories without really disrupting the 616 status quo too much.
    Depends on how it's undone. Maybe they decide on their own that their methods are causing too much conflict. Maybe they adapt. These wouldn't be the same characters from the Squadron universe. They are not bound by their continuity. The Utopia program has been used before; by Zemo. There are areas of the Marvel Universe untouched by the Avengers. project Pegasus is back, as well.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Unfortunately, because it's a pastiche, I don't think Marvel will ever really be able to deliver on a Squadron Supreme as a premier team. It will always have a fatal flaw and go through multiple versions and iterations over time. I advise not getting too attached to any version of the SS. The Squadron Sinister might have a better go of it. Or if Marvel ever decided to go there, a Legion of Doom pastiche might also work better for the MU.

If the choice were mine, though, I'd love to see a version of the Squadron Supreme that used original Marvel characters in the role of the otherwise pastiche characters, like so:

Superman - The Forgotten One
    Batman - Black Panther
    Wonder Woman - America Chavez
    Flash - Quicksilver
    Green Lantern - Captain Universe, or whomever happens to have the Quantum Bands
    Martian Manhunter - The Impossible Man
    Cyborg - Deathlok
    Hawkgirl - The New Valkyrie
    Aquaman - Namorita
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

You know an easy solution?, combine Secret Wars with Infinity Warps. Squadron Supreme's reality is destroyed and arrive Earth-616; and to make them stable, they are merged with other people who can suit them. Examples:

+ Golden Archer with Hawkeye.
    + Lady Lark with Mockingbird.
    + Blue Eague with Falcon as Captain America.
    + Moonglow with Scarlet Witch.
    + Amphibian with Namor.

Isn't Lady Lark the counterpart of Black Canary? I'd say Songbird is a closer match.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Green Lantern - Captain Universe, or whomever happens to have the Quantum Bands
    That's currently Wendell Vaughn, the main Quasar.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-04-2019 at 04:35 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Isn't Lady Lark the counterpart of Black Canary? I'd say Songbird is a closer match.
    Songbird might have the powers, but everything else coming from Black Canary, Mockingbird has it.