Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Other than the two part Amazing Spider-Man story that ran in issues 9 and 10 (1998) was Chapter One mentioned again or any other place in the 98 relaunch? Aside the awful new costumes for villains

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Other than the two part Amazing Spider-Man story that ran in issues 9 and 10 (1998) was Chapter One mentioned again or any other place in the 98 relaunch? Aside the awful new costumes for villains
    I've wiped most of that crap from my memory. But aside from a few throwaway flashback panels and quick references, I don't think the plot of any storyline hinged on it (outside the issues you mentioned).

It's kind of weird to think that Chapter One was basically kind of doing what Heroes Reborn did yet was still in continuity. Heck, weren't they considering offing Ben in Onslaught as one resolution to the Clone Saga? Kinda weird to think they could have just shoved Ben over to be the Peter of Counter-Earth.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    At the very least, Byrne and Romita Jr are exceptional artists.
    It's funny, and I rarely see anyone else mention it, but I consider Byrne's art here to be in a completely different style to the Byrne I knew and loved in the 80's and early 90's.

Everything looks out of proportion, the lines are muddied and imprecise. There are too few differing faces and expressions, all pretty goofy looking. The characters looked a bit scrawny, malnourished and lean. And old, they all look strangely old. The thicker lines made the world look dull and flat.

It was like the reverse of his classic style, where everyone was larger than life, square jawed and wearing outlandish costumes and even eye grabbing regular clothes. The intentional, crisp, confident line-work used to pop from the page.

I can still pick up anything from Byrne's Superman run and be dazzled by the art, but I find this era is ugly as sin by comparison.

I'll agree on Romita Jr, though. Despite being given utter crap to work with, JRJR gave us his all and 9 time out of 10 knocked it out of the park! His Venom is unlike any other (in a good way).
    Last edited by exile001; 07-04-2019 at 08:35 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    In fairness, the '98 relaunch does seem to do okay in trades.
    It's interesting that they discontinued the "Spider-man: The Next Chapter" line of TPB's, then quietly released the rest as Return of the Green Goblin and later still Light in the Darkness (the good bit. I also wonder if this title isn't a dig at the rest of the era).

Marvel are soon releasing Spider-man by John Byrne omnibus Vol 1, so working off his name rather than highlighting the era (most of it is from here), so they must believe it can still sell. I can't imagine they'll include PPSM (which Byrne didn't illustrate IIRC), so the stories might not make a lot of sense.

I can only imagine they sell in the way people slow down for a car wreck. They know its wrong to stare, yet they cannot look away.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    It's interesting that they discontinued the "Spider-man: The Next Chapter" line of TPB's, then quietly released the rest as Return of the Green Goblin and later still Light in the Darkness (the good bit. I also wonder if this title isn't a dig at the rest of the era).

Marvel are soon releasing Spider-man by John Byrne omnibus Vol 1, so working off his name rather than highlighting the era (most of it is from here), so they must believe it can still sell. I can't imagine they'll include PPSM (which Byrne didn't illustrate IIRC), so the stories might not make a lot of sense.

I can only imagine they sell in the way people slow down for a car wreck. They know its wrong to stare, yet they cannot look away.
    Yeah, the "Light in the Darkness" title comes from Jenkins' viewpoint of that era: he viewed it as too grim dark for his tastes and wanted to re-introduce the humor and lightheartedness to the book. So you're right on the money!

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Yeah, the "Light in the Darkness" title comes from Jenkins' viewpoint of that era: he viewed it as too grim dark for his tastes and wanted to re-introduce the humor and lightheartedness to the book. So you're right on the money!
    I always think of Jenkins as an overlooked master of Spider-man stories, he's never written a story I disliked.

His Spidey is just plain fun to read! Yes, Parker has hardships, but he loves his life and the zany, wacky things that go along with being Spidey. Even his bat-s**t crazy ideas, like Peter becoming a giant spider, were told with such a sense of glee that I didn't question it, just went along of the ride.

And coupled with the dynamic and exciting art of Humberto Ramos, the feeling of fun and joy in Jenkins' work popped even more!

I am hoping Light in the Darkness sells well and leads to another collection of his SSM run. I have The Hunger and Countdown in trades, but would love the rest.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

For what it's worth:

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/FAQ/lis...ok+Projects#28

Per Byrne, nothing in Chapter One contradicts previously established continuity or the original Lee/Ditko origin.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    For what it's worth:

Per Byrne, nothing in Chapter One contradicts previously established continuity or the original Lee/Ditko origin.
    He can claim that all he wants, but it’s just not true.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    He can claim that all he wants, but it’s just not true.
    I don't disagree.

Having said that, I don't hate Chapter One and in fact I can find a lot of good qualities with it. But the Lee/Ditko origin is just fine IMO.

Having said that, I don't hate Chapter One and in fact I can find a lot of good qualities with it. But the Lee/Ditko origin is just fine IMO.
    As a whole, I found it rather unnecessary with some odd choices (e.g. Electro's costume), but it is inoffensive. I liked some parts, like tying up the Tinkerer's alien plot thread with Mysterio's debut. Heck, I was even OK with combining the science experiment that gave Peter his powers with the accident that created Doc Ock.

I'll never feel the need to re-read it, as I have the Lee/Ditko comics that does the same thing better.

For what it's worth:

“Why did JB have Aunt May and Uncle Ben give Peter Parker a PC instead of a microscope in CHAPTER ONE?”

asking the hard hitting questions
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    “Why did JB have Aunt May and Uncle Ben give Peter Parker a PC instead of a microscope in CHAPTER ONE?”

asking the hard hitting questions
    Well to be fair, the answer to the question is that the computer was given to Peter well before he was Spider-Man, while the microscope was given to him right after he became Spider-Man. So in that sense, there is no contradiction.

Well to be fair, the answer to the question is that the computer was given to Peter well before he was Spider-Man, while the microscope was given to him right after he became Spider-Man. So in that sense, there is no contradiction.
    don’t get me wrong, i am in total support of that question. i’m saving it to reread whenever i feel down
    troo fan or death

For what it's worth:

Kinda reminds me of when Avi Arad (a producer on the Spider-Man movies) suggested that the first Mark Webb movie was an interquel in continuity with the Raimi movies, which even if one overlooks the recasting makes no sense. Besides, wasn't the point of Chapter One to be a reboot of the original years of the comics and replace them as the backstory for the then current ASM run? That's something different then what Byrne suggests.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)