Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31
  1. #16
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    8,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Huh... I thought they'd do it present-day, only because today's television writers don't know how to move a story without cell phones.
    They probably will but Netflix is all about period pieces.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  2. #17

    Default

    I never read the comics. So i have no frame of reference for what is true to a particular character or storyline. I guess we'll see how this evolves. I hope for the best.

  3. #18
    Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,918

    Default

    The plot will have to be a lot more linear and less cerebral than the comics, I think. Gaiman says they will follow the story arcs of the comic, but all of the internal monologuing and the trippiness of the art and layout will have to be handled a different way. Hopefully the show will retain enough of the feel of the comics and not just be stripped down to its basic plot points. I have a feeling the writers will be doing a lot of freestyling.

  4. #19
    Fantastic Member TriggerWarning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    400

    Default

    I often feel like the only person in the world who doesn't get the appeal of Gaiman. The best I can say about any of his books (American Gods) is a meh, I've read worse. The worst I can say (Ocean at the End of the Lane) is that it was one of the most boring 7 hrs of my life I've ever spent (I listened to the audio version). Comic wise, I've never read Sandman but other stuff I've read was also just meh, not memorable but could be worse.

  5. #20

    Default

    So, does anyone have any casting suggestions?

    I'm already down for Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Sandman.

    Who should play Death? The other Endless characters (Destiny, Destruction, Desire, Despair, Delirium)?

    Would you want to see other Vertigo characters in this series like the spinoff Lucifer or unrelated ones like Timothy Hunter, John Constantine, etc.?

    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 07-10-2019 at 02:53 PM.

  6. #21
    Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    I often feel like the only person in the world who doesn't get the appeal of Gaiman. The best I can say about any of his books (American Gods) is a meh, I've read worse. The worst I can say (Ocean at the End of the Lane) is that it was one of the most boring 7 hrs of my life I've ever spent (I listened to the audio version). Comic wise, I've never read Sandman but other stuff I've read was also just meh, not memorable but could be worse.
    I have to say I've never really disliked anything of his that I've read. I loved Sandman, American Gods, Anansi Boys, Coraline, Good Omens, Neverwhere. Ocean at the End of the Lane I liked, but it was kind of just hitting again on his favorite theme... powerful beings of mythology who are real and live among us.

    Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    So, does anyone have any casting suggestions?

    I'm already down for Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Sandman.

    Who should play Death? The other Endless characters (Destiny, Destruction, Desire, Despair, Delirium)?

    Would you want to see other Vertigo characters in this series like the spinoff Lucifer or unrelated ones like Timothy Hunter, John Constantine, etc.?
    I have no problem with Gordon-Levitt as Morpheus. Have to say I don't really have many fantasy casting ideas for the others. I'm sure at least one or two of the Endless will be black. I could see Tony Todd as Destiny.

    I could see Lana Condor as Death.

    I would be down with crossovers with the Vertigo-verse. Get Matt Ryan to play Constantine... just have him rove around among all the DC television shows. A crossover with Books of Magic could work. And Lucifer, although of course that's not really a crossover.

    Morena Baccarin as Thessaly.

    Maisie Williams as Delirium?

    Milla Jovovich as Desire?

    And... wait for it... Jay Baruchel and Haley Joel Osment as Cain and Abel.

  7. #22

    Default

    I feel like Gilbert from the Dollhouse arc would be played by Cameron Britton (Hazel from Umbrella Academy).

    Cillian Murphy for Morpheus.

    I'm curious if they would keep the larger DC references or scrapping a few of them.

  8. #23
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    8,951

    Default

    Gaiman's 2 picks for the last 6 years have been Tom Hiddleston or Benedict Cumberbatch.

    I would want either of those. Tom being #1.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  9. #24
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Gaiman's 2 picks for the last 6 years have been Tom Hiddleston or Benedict Cumberbatch.

    I would want either of those. Tom being #1.
    While I don't want to point to the "Bummer..." stuff, the Disney show would almost certainly take Hiddleston out of the running wouldn't it?

    I can't see a company that just made a break from Netflix letting one of it's employed actors going over to work at Netflix.

  10. #25

  11. #26
    Incredible Member Ra-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I feel like Gilbert from the Dollhouse arc would be played by Cameron Britton (Hazel from Umbrella Academy).

    Cillian Murphy for Morpheus.

    I'm curious if they would keep the larger DC references or scrapping a few of them.
    Cillian Murphy for Morpheus... Holy shit, he would be perfect.

  12. #27
    Mighty Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,352

    Default

    If I were the king of the world, I'd nominate Matt Smith to play Dream, but that's just me.

  13. #28
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    6,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While I don't want to point to the "Bummer..." stuff, the Disney show would almost certainly take Hiddleston out of the running wouldn't it?

    I can't see a company that just made a break from Netflix letting one of it's employed actors going over to work at Netflix.
    It wouldn't take Hiddleston out of the running. It will be a matter of him fitting the show into his schedule.

  14. #29
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,730

    Default

    I know it might sound weird but I would love to see Robert Carlyle as Cain and Oliver Platt as Abel.

  15. #30
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Gaiman's 2 picks for the last 6 years have been Tom Hiddleston or Benedict Cumberbatch.

    I would want either of those. Tom being #1.
    Cumberbatch would be perfect. Not just looks-wise but I think he has exactly the right kind of screen presence for a character like Dream. Gordon-Levitt wouldn't be a bad choice but he would actually probably be a bit better as Daniel, though he might be a bit too old for that part by now.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •