Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    From your description, it sounds like you are talking about a specific SLSH issue -- namely #202.
    Nailed it! Yes, I didn't realize I had not listed the actual issue number. Fix it. Thanks.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    As an animated movie it could happen. They keep doing adaptations of big comic book stories, so eventually they must get around to it.
    Seems doubtful. Way back when DC started doing these animated movies -- they would step outside of the box periodically. These days, it's all Batman, Superman and occasionally Justice League. We only saw a Teen Titans movie because of the popularity of the TeenTitans TV shows. But that adaptation was only loosely based on the classic Judas Contract.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Seems doubtful. Way back when DC started doing these animated movies -- they would step outside of the box periodically. These days, it's all Batman, Superman and occasionally Justice League. We only saw a Teen Titans movie because of the popularity of the TeenTitans TV shows. But that adaptation was only loosely based on the classic Judas Contract.
    DCUniverse seems to have a lot more room to it (i.e. Doom Patrol). Not saying a GDS series/film will happen, but it's more likely than it was before they launched the streaming service.

Retired

I don't see how saying eventually they must get around to it is such an improbable statement. I mean the Earth could be destroyed and then they won't get around to it, but I didn't put any time limit on when they would get around to it--maybe by the 30th century. And I always thought that Superboy was Superman. There have been Legion cartoons and there have been Superman cartoons and there have been cartoons with the New Gods in them. So an animated movie that combines all these things seems like it could eventually happen at some point in the future.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I use to think the Legion just suffer from being too strange, too colorful, and too dense, but Guardians in the Galaxy seem just as odd. (The Legion and the X-Men need to be big and colorful on the big screen!) I was watching Seth Myers and Brian Bendis talk about Superman and Bendis ends the interview by saying, "You take Endgame... People that know, the LEGION, you ain't seen nothing yet!" I think that statement is true. The Legion have several huge epic character death storylines, they have 3 or 4 Galactus/Thanos type villains, they have big romances, there are evil Super-teams, big criminal cabals, killer A.I, and with the Great Darkness Saga, a big war with the Old/New Gods. I don't need to see an animated film necessarily but of course I would love to see a big long tv Legion epic. I want it to be Battle Star Galactica long with a BIG budget for the Legion. If Riverdale and the Boys can get on T.V. Bring on the Legion! (I think bringing the Legion into the Superman cinematic universe would help in widening the widespread take on the character.)

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

This was the Legion series at its best, hard to believe back when DC was suffering saleswise during the Bronze Age LOSH was one of their better selling books but after COIE the Legion were thrown under the bus and they haven't truly recovered ever since.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    This was the Legion series at its best, hard to believe back when DC was suffering saleswise during the Bronze Age LOSH was one of their better selling books but after COIE the Legion were thrown under the bus and they haven't truly recovered ever since.
    I hear the opinion that Crisis harmed LoSH, and I find I can't agree. I've been rereading the entire era (currently in the midst of The Starfinger arc, circa 1989, a full three years after Crisis), and I can't see any bus-under-throwing at work. The stories and art continued to be of the same quality. Now I will grant you that much of what followed was less than GDS, but when you've achieved the GOAT, there's nowhere to go but down.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I hear the opinion that Crisis harmed LoSH, and I find I can't agree. I've been rereading the entire era (currently in the midst of The Starfinger arc, circa 1989, a full three years after Crisis), and I can't see any bus-under-throwing at work. The stories and art continued to be of the same quality. Now I will grant you that much of what followed was less than GDS, but when you've achieved the GOAT, there's nowhere to go but down.
    I agree. COIE hurt Legion with the removal of the Superman franchise from its history, but for a few years, the Legion had worked to become their own concept without the "S" shield showing up. The team had strong stories and plots for years after COIE. For a while, they even had two books a month.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Crisis isn't one thing that happens at a point in time. You might think that and that COIE destroyed one thing and replaced it with another thing, but that didn't happen. A lot of the comics were in a kind of bubble after Crisis where it was as if they hadn't been affected at all. And the end of COIE presents the universe in one state of affairs, but that version of the universe doesn't last for long.

LSH was able to continue to the end of its 1980s run without really ever addressing the changes to the timeline that happened because of the Crisis. As long as it was able to proceed that way, the Legion could have continued to exist indefinitely in that form, without writers ever having to explain anything re. Superman. But it was stopped mainly because of Mike Carlin taking a hardline on removing anything that might seem to contradict the current iteration of Superman. So there was fallout from 1. COIE and 2. the MAN OF STEEL reboot that eventually reached all the way to the 30th century--it just took a few years for that to happen.

Because so many of the Legion characters were connected to Superboy/Superman in some way, those characters had to be removed or overhauled. It was the death of a thousand cuts. It became more and more impossible to use any of the previous existing continuity in the present forumulation of the Legion. The chickens all come home to roost in the 5th issue of the 5 year gap LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES--because of Mike Carlin demanding that TMK can't do the story they wanted to do and they have to change the continuity--which puts the creative team on repair duties for the remainder of their run, overhauling the continuity to try and make it fit with whatever DC will allow in the new regime. And that ends up undoing the team again with Zero Hour.

The Great Darkness Saga doesn't even exist because of what happened due to the Crisis retcon wave eventually hitting the Legion. If a DC property can't even celebrate the best stories in its history, then what are fans left with?

Extraordinary Member

The Great Darkness Saga doesn't even exist because of what happened due to the Crisis retcon wave eventually hitting the Legion. If a DC property can't even celebrate the best stories in its history, then what are fans left with?
    Agree Completely!!!!

And what was really confusing was that there were so many characters that appeared or died in COIE that ceased to exist in DC history after the story ended. Supergirl died a heroic death and then supposedly never existed in the first place. As a result, she was wiped out of Legion history.

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Agree Completely!!!!

And what was really confusing was that there were so many characters that appeared or died in COIE that ceased to exist in DC history after the story ended. Supergirl died a heroic death and then supposedly never existed in the first place. As a result, she was wiped out of Legion history.
    I loved this story when I first read it. And it exists because I can pull the books back out and read them again, and I love it just as much! Crisis didn't ruin anything, this happens in the future, who's to say stuff moving forward from now doesn't adjust to match the history of that story. A good creative team can write any work around you want, and the story is still fresh and relevant.

Sometimes, we as fans, create our own barriers to enjoying something or to it's relevance to current stuff.

Whenever someone asks me about Keith Giffen, I point to this story and the Legion reboot he did that was short lived, but still quality (circa 1989-1990). It looks like Bendis work might reference this....curious to see.
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    This is true! They had their own fanzine before there were fanzines.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Boisterously Confused

Crisis isn't one thing that happens at a point in time. You might think that and that COIE destroyed one thing and replaced it with another thing, but that didn't happen. A lot of the comics were in a kind of bubble after Crisis where it was as if they hadn't been affected at all. And the end of COIE presents the universe in one state of affairs, but that version of the universe doesn't last for long.

LSH was able to continue to the end of its 1980s run without really ever addressing the changes to the timeline that happened because of the Crisis. As long as it was able to proceed that way, the Legion could have continued to exist indefinitely in that form, without writers ever having to explain anything re. Superman. But it was stopped mainly because of Mike Carlin taking a hardline on removing anything that might seem to contradict the current iteration of Superman. So there was fallout from 1. COIE and 2. the MAN OF STEEL reboot that eventually reached all the way to the 30th century--it just took a few years for that to happen.

Because so many of the Legion characters were connected to Superboy/Superman in some way, those characters had to be removed or overhauled. It was the death of a thousand cuts. It became more and more impossible to use any of the previous existing continuity in the present forumulation of the Legion. The chickens all come home to roost in the 5th issue of the 5 year gap LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES--because of Mike Carlin demanding that TMK can't do the story they wanted to do and they have to change the continuity--which puts the creative team on repair duties for the remainder of their run, overhauling the continuity to try and make it fit with whatever DC will allow in the new regime. And that ends up undoing the team again with Zero Hour.

That's a fair point. I didn't read much after Giffen changed his style, and my current reread hasn't caught up yet.

Extraordinary Member

As an animated movie it could happen. They keep doing adaptations of big comic book stories, so eventually they must get around to it.
    I sure hope so. It would be EPIC if they did.

Astonishing Member

Current DC -- where stories from classic, critically-acclaimed stories are no longer part of the fabric. Sad, really.