Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default H/P Doomsday vs Thanos

Who’d win ?

Thanos. Telepathy for a 10 count as DD gets stunned long enough for the win. Or Thanos teleport him into deep space. Or space toss. Any number of things really.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Thanos has way too many options.

If he fights like an idiot and doesn't use the many options he has, DD could feasibly adapt enough to kill him a la Drax but that'd take a while.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Thanos. Telepathy for a 10 count as DD gets stunned long enough for the win. Or Thanos teleport him into deep space. Or space toss. Any number of things really.
    Haven't weaker versions of him trashed Martian manhunter? Also he’s survived the omega beams just fine, I don’t see Thanos getting any easy wins.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

If we're talking about Death of Superman, where Doomsday beat up the Justice League (and punched Ice when she was unconscious, miraculously doing nothing serious to her given that she turned up again, ready to fight later on), and Manhunter was playing at being 'Bloodwynd' (oh, 90's, I'm not sorry to see you gone), then Manhunter's only attempt at using any telepathic power during that entire situation was trying to locate Doomsday using telepathy.

Everything else was him punching Doomsday and using Zap-Beams (rather stupidly, given the entire team had hit Doomsday with whatever energy generation powers they had and accomplished something between squat and zip).

So it's not really an indication of anything, except for PIS that J'onn didn't try to use his telepathy to shut Doomsday down. But the PIS was very, very strong in that entire storyline.

Maybe there's another time where he fights Doomsday, I don't know.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    If we're talking about Death of Superman, where Doomsday beat up the Justice League (and punched Ice when she was unconscious, miraculously doing nothing serious to her given that she turned up again, ready to fight later on), and Manhunter was playing at being 'Bloodwynd' (oh, 90's, I'm not sorry to see you gone), then Manhunter's only attempt at using any telepathic power during that entire situation was trying to locate Doomsday using telepathy.

Everything else was him punching Doomsday and using Zap-Beams (rather stupidly, given the entire team had hit Doomsday with whatever energy generation powers they had and accomplished something between squat and zip).

So it's not really an indication of anything, except for PIS that J'onn didn't try to use his telepathy to shut Doomsday down. But the PIS was very, very strong in that entire storyline.

Maybe there's another time where he fights Doomsday, I don't know.
    He fought him in... I think it was OWAW... he tried to go into Doomsday's mind and he was such a "maelstrom of rage," that J'onn got taken out or at least stunned with the psychic feedback.

This was also the same fight where Doomsday apparently tore Plastic Man because he pulled him hard enough to overcome his stretching powers.

Which is completely ridiculous given other things Plastic Man has done, so I would advise a big grain of salt there.

This would be, presumably, be a different version of Doomsday than H/P, right? As I recall H/P ended up with Doomsday being time dumped into the all consuming void at the end of time. OWAW was a clone of him... I think? H/P never really had much TP tried on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    He fought him in... I think it was OWAW... he tried to go into Doomsday's mind and he was such a "maelstrom of rage," that J'onn got taken out or at least stunned with the psychic feedback.

This was also the same fight where Doomsday apparently tore Plastic Man because he pulled him hard enough to overcome his stretching powers.

Which is completely ridiculous given other things Plastic Man has done, so I would advise a big grain of salt there.

This would be, presumably, be a different version of Doomsday than H/P, right? As I recall H/P ended up with Doomsday being time dumped into the all consuming void at the end of time. OWAW was a clone of him... I think? H/P never really had much TP tried on him.
    No. After H/P, DD was taken from the end of time by Braniac and had his body taken over and controlled by Braniac who used it to beat the JLA. This is where tearing of Plas occurred. Which is incidentally just fine considering that DD history, which was basically same as H/P, written by the same writer as a sequel

Later that DD died in OWAW and the explicitly weaker clone that Jonn fought beat him, as well as beating back his TP assault

I don't think TP would work. Braniac was shown to be a stronger Telepath than Jonn in DD Wars and even he barely kept control through some device. Manchester Black was also shown to be a stronger telepath than Jonn

Thanos is arguably not, so telepathy is unlikely to work as anything other than maybe slowing him down, but then again Jonns experience against the weaker clone indicates otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    I don't think TP would work. Braniac was shown to be a stronger Telepath than Jonn in DD Wars and even he barely kept control through some device. Manchester Black was also shown to be a stronger telepath than Jonn

Thanos is arguably not, so telepathy is unlikely to work as anything other than maybe slowing him down, but then again Jonns experience against the weaker clone indicates otherwise
    Thanos is generally portrayed as more defensively potent with his TP then offensively, so I suppose that tracks.

Also, J'onn fought H/P Doomsday outside of the Watch Tower on the moon (alongside Orion) and barely lasted 1 minute. No obvious attempt at telepathy though.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Does Doomsday have any feats for resisting telepathy?

Edit...you might be right inasmuch as only top level telepaths have controlled DD. I think Dr Psycho did it as well, who in turn traded blows with Saturn Girl, another high end telepath. But I'm hard pressed to say DD can only be controlled by high end telepaths if there are no TP resistance feats to begin with.

Also...didnt Thanos defeat Moondragon rather quickly in Avengers vs Thanos?
    Last edited by Cronus; 07-03-2019 at 06:53 PM.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Does Doomsday have any feats for resisting telepathy?

Edit...you might be right inasmuch as only top level telepaths have controlled DD. I think Dr Psycho did it as well, who in turn traded blows with Saturn Girl, another high end telepath. But I'm hard pressed to say DD can only be controlled by high end telepaths if there are no TP resistance feats to begin with.
    A weaker clone kicked out Martian Manhunter from his head
    https://i.postimg.cc/BZDHQv8Z/RCO020.jpg

He was also kicking out Braniac who was using a device to control him, he broke free the minute the device was removed
    https://m.imgur.com/QpHKr3r

In this story Braniac was able to shield himself from Jonns TP scan of the threat (him possessing Doomsday) which seems to indicate him being a better telepath
    https://i.postimg.cc/tRtdNT9S/RCO050-w.jpg

Also...didnt Thanos defeat Moondragon rather quickly in Avengers vs Thanos?
    Is that a new feat?

The only time I remember Thanos beating Moondragon was quite a while ago. They had a psychic duel of sorts that he eventually wore her down through. It was suggested that it took quite a bit of time. That's still a really good feat mind you, but I tend to view that as suggesting his defensive TP won the day. His offensive stuff is less common/good then his defensive and seems to be more individual then wide scale. Still, he controlled the Hulk to hit Thor iirc.
    - big_adventure

Thanos also took out Moondragon in short order during Annihilation. She mind blasted him, he mostly ignored it and then smacked her to knock her out.

A weaker clone kicked out Martian Manhunter from his head
    https://i.postimg.cc/BZDHQv8Z/RCO020.jpg

He was also kicking out Braniac who was using a device to control him, he broke free the minute the device was removed
    https://m.imgur.com/QpHKr3r

In this story Braniac was able to shield himself from Jonns TP scan of the threat (him possessing Doomsday) which seems to indicate him being a better telepath
    https://i.postimg.cc/tRtdNT9S/RCO050-w.jpg

Is that a new feat?
    The version of Doomsday you indicate in the first link is from Superman 175...written by Loeb. That whole interaction was strange. Jonn appears to hit him with some TP shenanigans...then physically engaged him. Doomsday speaks and Jonn, surprised, exclaims, "Sentient!"

So...Jonn didnt discern this right away? At any rate I took that to mean that Jonn's surprise caused him to stop with the TP, at which point...bye bye Jonn.

As far as the second link, that is from the issue mini...Brainiac maintained control of Doomsday for most of those books...a significant period of time...despite his indicating degree of difficulty....so, eh.

As to the third, wasn't the reason for Brainiacs superiority due to the same device that helped him maintain control of Doomsday throughout that arc?
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

The only time I remember Thanos beating Moondragon was quite a while ago. They had a psychic duel of sorts that he eventually wore her down through. It was suggested that it took quite a bit of time. That's still a really good feat mind you, but I tend to view that as suggesting his defensive TP won the day. His offensive stuff is less common/good then his defensive and seems to be more individual then wide scale. Still, he controlled the Hulk to hit Thor iirc.
    Mmm. Not so sure myself. The narration presented Moondragon and Thanos as "two mental titans vying for control over the other". You're right inasmuch as Thanos is typically shown resisting high end telepaths...but this early feat from Captain Marvel 31 lays groundwork to the effect that Thanos offensive TP is also high end. And as you mention, he also controlled the Hulk with TP.
    ----------------------