Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Well, in any case, hope all goes well in helping marginalized groups and non-marginalized groups getting along with one another in the near and far future. Moving on then.
    ??????????????

Thanks for not getting my point? Again?

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I mean the point to make here is that America is made up of all the ethnic groups you can imagine, so all super heroes have some ethnic bloodline in them anyway. Hell, Steve Rogers is an Irish super hero. So I don’t get which ethnic group isn’t represented by Marvel super heroes. I suggest all Marvel super heroes are basically Jewish, because of Jewish people cornering publication in the 1930’s onwards, and Stan and Jack being Jewish. But really, America was a melting pot and still is. And New York? Forgettaboutit.

What is an American from the United States of America?

Hardly a melting pot a salad at best.

the majority of heros are WASPs there is a small group of jews, I suppose Irish although mostly scots irish it would seem. The first Italian I though of were Dominic Fortune who is on the shelf , and I think Nick Fury's old GF was Italian.

Back when everyone was making up Spidersonas following "Into the Spiderverse", I decided to make a spider-hero that would be native to, and patrol, another borough: Staten Island. But rather than make a Italian-American teen boy soaking in stereotypical machismo, *my* spidersona is Mickey Mazza, a transman EMT, who encounters a third generation Klyntar symbiote to become SERUM. Serum is a blue symbiote whose web tendrils are able to confer a variety of life-saving fluids. He is a healing super-hero, as opposed to the violent fighters that otherwise populate NYC.

How's that for Italian-American and LGBTQ+ representation?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I recently visited Los Angles where I came across their Italian-American History museum. It's not great, but it's free. They had a little tribute to Italian-American comic book artists. The list was John Buscema, Frank Giacoia, Carmine Infantino, John Romita Sr., Dick Giordano, Joe Orlando, Bob Montana, and Rocco "Rocke" Mastroserio. Montana is an Archie guy and I've never heard of the last guy, but the list is significantly a list of second-wave Marvel guys. One would have hoped there would have been more influence there.

Frank Castle is the one that immediately comes to mind as a clear choice, but he really is the only one that comes to mind. A lot of early Marvel tended to go for WASPy characters and, when it doubt, went with Irish. I wonder if that has to do with the background of people like Stan Lee, who just encountered the Irish more growing up. The one that stands out is Dino Manelli from the Howling Commandos. There was a clear deliberate effort to include as many ethnic groups as possible in that book and Manelli was a clear Frank Sinatra-inspired character who was one of the more fun ones (dashing Hollywood star who spoke English, Italian, and German, he was one of the more useful characters). But they also had Izzy Cohen as a prominent Jewish member and Gabe Jones as a prominent black member. Manelli was just one of the bunch. Countess Valentina Allegra de Fontaine from Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD would be probably the most prominent Italian character for decades, so I'll mention her as well.
    I have to beg to differ on a minor point. Dino Manelli was obviously Dean Martin, also a member of Sinatra's Rat Pack. They physical resemblance is obvious. I saw it right away when reading the old Howling Commando's series.

All-New Member

CRaymond, you did a great job! I do think that combining LGBT+ and Italian positive representation into onecharacter is a great idea. I also want Italian characters written by Italian Americans as well as non-Italians to get some of the culture in there. Both in and out-group members have roles in positive representation. Tycon, what do you think about positive representation for Italian Americans specifically? Also, how do we get Marvel to change their portrayal of Italians? I do not expect DC to change, but perhaps Marvel can. I would never be allowed to write for Marvel, because I have no experience. Is the answer independent comics? I have a lot of ideas but I have no artistic ability and do not know how to get a creative group together to purpose something to independent comics. New York and New Jersey have many Italians but are portrayed as all but empty of Italians except mobsters. Implicit and explicit bias against Italians marginalizes us. We do not benefit from eurocentric notions as much as other "white" groups but are not considered marginalized enough for proper representation. The lack of a critical mass of Italian Americans in key areas, especially, in the creative community, contributes to this. I have stories I could share about this. If you go on Defending the Truth and you look at the response to my pro-civil rights posts, you will see what I regularly face on the internet and in politics.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I have to beg to differ on a minor point. Dino Manelli was obviously Dean Martin, also a member of Sinatra's Rat Pack. They physical resemblance is obvious. I saw it right away when reading the old Howling Commando's series.
    That's a fair point. Not sure why I didn't make that connection.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

[redacted]
    Last edited by Gav; 07-04-2020 at 09:32 AM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

FWIW, since I forgot to mention this earlier. The claim is that Guido Carosella is a stereotypical thug and that couldn't be further from the truth of the character.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sкєʟʟує View Post
    I'm not going to @ anybody because I don't wanna be an ******* here, but if you have a problem with this thread then you're a part of the problem.
    If you see someone being a bad person that’s posting bad messages, then I’m sure the best course of action to take is to report them to the mods, right?

[redacted]
    Last edited by Gav; 07-04-2020 at 09:32 AM.