Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What is your favorite Mysterio story?

With the release of Spider-Man: Far From Home from Marvel Studios and Sony, Mysterio has finally taken his well deserved spot as one of Spidey's big baddies. So let's talk about the guy with the fishbowl helmet.

What is your favorite Mysterio story?

What is your favorite story where Mysterio had a significant role, even if he wasn't the main baddie? (There are a number of stories where Mysterio had a significant role, even if he wasn't the true main villain of the arc.)

Let's talk Mysterio.

Kevin Smith's Guardian Devil.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 07-03-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    With the release of Spider-Man: Far From Home from Marvel Studios and Sony, Mysterio has finally taken his well deserved spot as one of Spidey's big baddies. So let's talk about the guy with the fishbowl helmet.

What is your favorite Mysterio story?

What is your favorite story where Mysterio had a significant role, even if he wasn't the main baddie? (There are a number of stories where Mysterio had a significant role, even if he wasn't the true main villain of the arc.)

Let's talk Mysterio.
    I like one of the old Lee/Romita Sr classics. ASM (vol 1) #66-67 in which Mysterio tricks Spidey into believing he’s been shrunk and put into a model of a deadly amusement park. Just rip-roaring silver age fun.
    And check out the great cover for #67
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Amazi...r-Man_Vol_1_67

BANNED

ASM#24 where Mysterio poses as Ludwig Rinehart.

The JMD webspinners story, the three-parter there.

The Mysterio Arc that ran in the Spider-Man Newspaper Strip which was my first exposure to the character. In fact, the Far From Home movie seems to take some cues from that.

But honestly I don't know if Mysterio has entirely been done justice in the comics and other works. My favorite Mysterio is the one from the 2000 Activision Game. That to me is the Voice of Mysterio.

Quentin Beck is an artist and so far only Stan Lee got that in his newspaper strip story. The other versions not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    ASM#24 where Mysterio poses as Ludwig Rinehart.

The JMD webspinners story, the three-parter there.

The Mysterio Arc that ran in the Spider-Man Newspaper Strip which was my first exposure to the character. In fact, the Far From Home movie seems to take some cues from that.

But honestly I don't know if Mysterio has entirely been done justice in the comics and other works. My favorite Mysterio is the one from the 2000 Activision Game. That to me is the Voice of Mysterio.

Quentin Beck is an artist and so far only Stan Lee got that in his newspaper strip story. The other versions not so much.
    I'll second the 2000 video game. Daran Norris was the voice of Mysterio in that one and he was having the time of his life Haha

Astonishing Member

I'll third Spider-Man (2000) video game. Still my favourite Spidey game.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I'll second the 2000 video game. Daran Norris was the voice of Mysterio in that one and he was having the time of his life Haha
    I have to say Norris' Evil Laugh as Mysterio is one of my favorites. Up there with Hammill. Mostly because it's unique. It's a shrill sissy laugh and it's perfect for the character. I love the line delivery in the epilogue at the prison, "Doc Ock's plan was HORRYBAL" (timestamp=!:39 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exelw_BwGcw) just the way he says horrible is great.

To be honest, the character closest to that Mysterio is already there in the MCU...I am talking about Ben Kingsley's character in Iron Man 3. In an ideal scenario, they would have made that character and brought Kingsley with him and made him into Mysterio and Iron Man 3 in effect becomes a semi-origin story. You could have even added in the whole Trevor Slattery is my theatrical name...my real name is Quentin Beck and so on.

spoilers:
    As it turns out, Far From Home made Mysterio a Stark bad guy who crossed him out, but they made a lamer version of that and a character that doesn't have the campy qualities that Mysterio should have
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

My favorite :
    Amazing Spider-Man#13.Mysterio first apearence in Amazing Spider-Man.Just one of my favorites Spider-Man stories from the Stan Lee and Steve Dikto run in Amazing Spider-Man.

And Amazing Spider-Man#66 and 67.Second only to the first Mysterio story in Amazing Spider-Man.
    Amazing Spider-Man#141 and 142 have the second Mysterio,but dunno if it counts.But that story with Mysterio being Daniel Berkhart have my honorable mention,even with that story not featuring Quentin Beck.

ASM #24 (Lee/Ditko), Inferno and Guardian Devil, which Mysterio tries to drive people insane.

Probably the 90's cartoon adaptation of Mysterio's first appearance "The Menace of Mysterio." It has my favorite Spidey-Mysterio exchange ever:

Spider: "Mysterio, they don't have anything to do with this. Let them go. Well, Jameson you can keep."

Mysterio: "Enough! It's payback time."

Spider: "Payback! For what! You did it all to yourself!"

Mysterio: "Yes. That's exactly what my psychiatrist said. But you know what? His sessions never made me feel this good!"

I also really liked the final boss battle in Spider-Man 2 the video game.

"The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Astonishing Member

I’ll mention another Mysterio story that is not my favorite, but it’d be in my top 5. I think it’s under appreciated and pretty forgotten now, but when Ben Reilly took over as Spidey he battled Mysterio in ‘Media Blizzard.’ Mysterio set up some crazy new cable channel that was hypnotizing everyone and meanwhile NYC was shut down due to a crippling blizzard. Ben is trying to get to the bottom of it, but he’s out of practice and beat up. Mysterio even had a cool new look just for this one story... foggy face instead of fishbowl head. It’s worth checking out if you can find it.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Probably the 90's cartoon adaptation of Mysterio's first appearance "The Menace of Mysterio." It has my favorite Spidey-Mysterio exchange ever:

Spider: "Mysterio, they don't have anything to do with this. Let them go. Well, Jameson you can keep."

Mysterio: "Enough! It's payback time."

Spider: "Payback! For what! You did it all to yourself!"

Mysterio: "Yes. That's exactly what my psychiatrist said. But you know what? His sessions never made me feel this good!"

I also really liked the final boss battle in Spider-Man 2 the video game.

That was a pitch-perfect exchange. Really got at the heart of what makes a lot of these villains actually villains --- rather than take responsibility for their own mistakes and errors, they push blame onto others and lash out at them.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I’ll mention another Mysterio story that is not my favorite, but it’d be in my top 5. I think it’s under appreciated and pretty forgotten now, but when Ben Reilly took over as Spidey he battled Mysterio in ‘Media Blizzard.’ Mysterio set up some crazy new cable channel that was hypnotizing everyone and meanwhile NYC was shut down due to a crippling blizzard. Ben is trying to get to the bottom of it, but he’s out of practice and beat up. Mysterio even had a cool new look just for this one story... foggy face instead of fishbowl head. It’s worth checking out if you can find it.
    I believe that appearance of Mysterio actually debuted in Sensational Spider-Man #0, which was also the debut of Ben Reilly as Spider-Man.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Mighty Member

Guardian Devil by Kevin Smith and Joe Quesada. I love his design and powers, but it's the first time that if found him really threatening and interesting.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

The Spectacular cartoon did him pretty well, but I think my favorite one was that old Lee/Ditko story where he uses holograms to trick Spidey into thinking he going mad and then poses as a psychologist to learn all his secrets.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'll give some love to Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions. While I like Mysterio as the guy who fakes everything, he was a fun final boss and it tied the plot up well
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!