Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The Media Blizzard Mysterio was always a personal favorite, just because I thought the redesign was a fun change.

But probably my favorite incarnation of Mysterio was -- believe it or not -- during the Byrne/Mackie era. None of the stories themselves were great; I just liked the portrayal of Mysterio being extremely creepy and impossible to read.

I think him floating with dead legs is really what did it.

-Pav, who hated everything else about that era...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

BANNED

The 90s animated series, the 2000 video game, his appearance in Spider-man 2 video game and that time he made Spider-man think he was small.

Empty is thy hand!

Amazing Spider-Man 618-620 Mysterioso

I adored the version in the Spider-Man 2 game where he has a circus tent and weird garbled versions of Spider-Man

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man 618-620 Mysterioso
    That’s another good one!

So is the Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (vol 1) arc by PAD and the late, great Mike Wieringo (or maybe it was Todd Nauck) with all three Mysterios in the school Peter was teaching at, including Beck who was undead at the time. It took place around Back in Black.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    That’s another good one!

So is the Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (vol 1) arc by PAD and the late, great Mike Wieringo (or maybe it was Todd Nauck) with all three Mysterios in the school Peter was teaching at, including Beck who was undead at the time. It took place around Back in Black.
    Having read that one recently, it was more around the time of Civil War after he'd revealed his identity to the public at Iron Man's behest.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

The one in Tangled Web

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    The Media Blizzard Mysterio was always a personal favorite, just because I thought the redesign was a fun change.

But probably my favorite incarnation of Mysterio was -- believe it or not -- during the Byrne/Mackie era. None of the stories themselves were great; I just liked the portrayal of Mysterio being extremely creepy and impossible to read.

I think him floating with dead legs is really what did it.

-Pav, who hated everything else about that era...
    Yeah, I completely agree with you here. I think the Media Blizzard look was the one he took over to Daredevil the first time they met.

It's a shame that The Mysterio Manifesto, which was intended to resolve the returned Mysterio (along with the other Mysterios and Mad Jack), didn't quite hit the mark.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I’m trying to not name off stories already listed, so I’ll go with Return of the Sinister Six.

BANNED

Amazing Spider-Man #141 Feb 1975
    "The Man's Name Appears to Be...Mysterio!"
    The Amazing Spider-Man decides to take the Spider-Mobile for a spin!

But after evading New York's Finest, he accidentally crashes into the Hudson River!
    Scratch one Spider-Mobile! The mist and fog tricked the web-slinger!
    The next day when the wall-crawler sees apparitions on his deadly foes
    including the Green Goblin, Dr. Octopus and the Molten Man;
    [
    he realizes that the Master of Illusion has returned!

Can Spider-Man stop the madness...before he goes mad himself?

Script by Gerry Conway. Pencils by Ross Andru. Inks by Frank Giacoia and Dave Hunt (backgrounds).

Web of Spider-man #90. (It had a Hologram cover.)

Mysterio uses Spider-man's old agent from his wrestling and TV days to try and trick Spider-man into believing that he's actually just been an actor this whole time. This is also the issue famous for the giant Galactus Venom robot.

Extraordinary Member

Honestly, the Mary Jane book with Mysterio is just too damn fun right now.

BANNED

Amazing Spider-Man #24 May 1965
    "Spider-Man Goes Mad"
    Peter's day doesn't start off well as he breaks up a burglary, but can't sell
    pictures since Frederick Foswell spotted Spider-Man but not Peter Parker.
    While trying to hide from J. Jonah Jameson at The Daily Bugle, he spots a letter from Ned Leeds to Betty Brant.
    When Peter comments on it, as much as he tries,
    he comes off as jealous and webslings around the city to keep his mind off of it.
    Suddenly, Jameson decides to have Bugle staff interview normal people and tell them
    why they hate Spider-Man even if the Bugle staff never publish the good things.
    When Flash catches wind of this, he scares all the staff off. Meanwhile,
    Liz Allan allows Peter to be her tutor for science, much to Flash's dislike.

As Jameson celebrates his biased poll, he gets a visit from Dr. Ludwig Rinehart who tells Jameson that due to
    a split personality between that of a man and a spider, it's only a matter of time before Spider-Man breaks down.
    When Peter hears this, he worries he might be going crazy and not know it.
    He makes his way down to the Bugle to tell Dr. Rinehart that he's wrong,
    but his spider-sense tells him that a jealous Flash is following him.
    Peter finally loses Flash covertly by throwing his "spider beam"
    to a roof while rounding a corner that Flash hasn't rounded yet.
    He gets distracted by the beam and loses interest in Peter.

Peter then turns into Spider-Man and makes his way to Jameson's office but,
    out of nowhere, Doctor Octopus comes to attack him but disappears just as quick.
    This repeats again with Sandman as well as The Vulture and Spider-Man starts doubting his sanity.
    He worries that he might start attacking innocent people believing they're criminals so he heads home for rest.
    When he sees himself in the mirror, he decides not to wait and visits Dr. Rinehart immediately.
    As he enters the doctor's house, the entire room is upside down including the furniture, bookshelves, and even the doctor.

As he runs to another room, it's also upside down and as Dr. Rinehart
    starts to consult him, Pete is taken to a room where everything is normal.
    As the consulting begins, more images of his enemies appear and vanish.
    At The Daily Bugle, however, Foswell comes to Jameson with news and Jameson tells
    the press room to kill the story on Rinehart as Jameson goes out to find him.
    Jameson enters in with an angry Flash just as Spider-Man
    is ready to confess who he is and confronts Dr. Rinehart of being a fraud.
    As the fraud is revealed, Flash tackles Jameson and Spider-Man runs after
    Dr. Rinehart realizing that the house had been staged with furniture nailed to the ceiling.

The mask is pulled off and the doctor is none other than Mysterio.

Script by Stan Lee, art by Steve Ditko.

I love the debut of Mysterio in the Ditko years and his later scheme as Dr Ludwig Rinehart. I'm also a big fan of ASM #66-67, the story that lead to ASM #200, Devil Guardian and Mysterioso
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Kevin Smith's Guardian Devil.
    I hate that story. Just terrible
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor