Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

I'm being super-cynical here, so consider yourself warned.

The problem I generally have with using real-world politicians is that when the real politician is featured, usually it's either because the writer is fanboying as he's bought into the cult of personality, or is doing the exact opposite and looking for an excuse to say this guy sucks. In other words, the writer is just looking for a way to insert his opinion as matter of fact, and usually in an unnuanced way. There's almost an expectation that if (for instance) any particular US president were to appear in a comic scene, it's going to be followed by unsubtle commentary on his performance as prez, for better or for worse.

Of course, that's not necessarily a bad thing. I happen to like Red Son and didn't take issue that they didn't exactly show a lot of reverence to Joseph Stalin, and certainly the story works better because they used the actual name "Joseph Stalin" and not some obvious stand-in. I guess, in short, I wouldn't say you should never use real politicians in your story, but I think it generally is unwanted.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    By using a fictional President rather than the real one??

I have thought about starting a thread asking question if anybody agrees with me that ALL real politicians ought to be avoided in mainstream DC or Marvel.

My "motive" would not be to avoid politics, but to actually allow exploring issues without distraction of reference to real politicians. It would also allow stories that might be legally impossible to publish if real names are used.
    Big mistake.

You end up ignoring what’s going on in the world to such a point you end up wondering why nobody’s addressing it.

There are only two alternatives.

Either a real life President (whoever that is in office) or what TvTropes calls “Invisible President”.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Instinct Vegeta View Post
    Primaries & General
    Clark - Beto O'Rourke
    Lois - Kamala Harris
    Jimmy - Pete Buttigieg
    Perry - Joe Biden
    Ron - Elizabeth Warren
    Steve - Donald Trump
    Cat - Marianne Williamson
    Jimmy Olsen is not going to vote for someone as boring as Mayor Pete.

Switching Jimmy and Cat's picks make more sense.