Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lois Lane #1

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If you hated the SM/WW relationship, Rebirth marked the end of that.
    A sad, IMO, but likely true fact.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Spectacular Member CaptainCanada's Avatar

I really liked this issue, but as an aside, can we please just retire the "Lois can't spell" gag? I know everybody loves the 1978 Superman, but that trait has never made any sense for a super-journalist, and it especially doesn't make sense in a world where everything is written on electronic word processing programs.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCanada View Post
    I really liked this issue, but as an aside, can we please just retire the "Lois can't spell" gag? I know everybody loves the 1978 Superman, but that trait has never made any sense for a super-journalist, and it especially doesn't make sense in a world where everything is written on electronic word processing programs.
    I entirely agree, and expressed a similar thought earlier.

Mighty Member

Clearly, you’ve never met my father.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

FINALLY got my hands on a copy. It's a bit more political than I thought. Not that I have a problem with that. I assume subsequent issues won't be quite this political and the bulk of the story will focus on what happened to the Russian journalist and what she was pursuing. Clark being bothered by people not going after "him" was interesting. It implies that he sees his alter ego as a separate persona. Which is something we don't get to see much of. Does someone need to have read Leviathan to follow this?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    FINALLY got my hands on a copy. It's a bit more political than I thought. Not that I have a problem with that. I assume subsequent issues won't be quite this political and the bulk of the story will focus on what happened to the Russian journalist and what she was pursuing. Clark being bothered by people not going after "him" was interesting. It implies that he sees his alter ego as a separate persona. Which is something we don't get to see much of. Does someone need to have read Leviathan to follow this?
    I don’t think so but having a barebones knowledge of what’s going on over in Bendis Superman would probably help since this book references events that happened there.

Writing is like 80% of my job an I have as much trouble spelling as Lois does. I guess at words until it gets close enough for spell check to get it right! I'm 40. This is legitimately the most relatable aspect of Lois' character for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Writing is like 80% of my job an I have as much trouble spelling as Lois does. I guess at words until it gets close enough for spell check to get it right! I'm 40. This is legitimately the most relatable aspect of Lois' character for me.
    Problem is, she doesn't use the spellcheck - just hits the "publish" button before it's reviewed/edited/etc. and while it's still full of errors. That's unprofessional.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Problem is, she doesn't use the spellcheck - just hits the "publish" button before it's reviewed/edited/etc. and while it's still full of errors. That's unprofessional.
    I think that part was supposed to be Lois making a joke at her own expense. I know Bendis added that she publishes on her own, but I don't think it's seriously supposed to be taken that she publishes error ridden articles.

To me, Lois Lane is, and should be portrayed as, the World's Greatest Journalist.

Kinda like how Bruce Wayne is shown as the World's Greatest Martial Artist ... Detective, I meant Detective, but all I ever see is how much training he recieved specifically for fighting.

Point is, Lois being a bad typist and speller is like Bruce forgetting to keep his thumbs on the outside of his fists, and just keeps tucking them into his fists when he punches someone. Just wanted that visual out there.

Lois already has enough personal flaws. She shouldn't have any that pertain to her profession, which she should explicitly dominate.

Astonishing Member

I have a question, does being a bad speller automatically make one a bad writer? Aren't editors there to clean up after the writers? You could be a great speller and suck as a writer imo. I mean I've had a local celeb publish an autobiography riddled with all sorts of errors that a five year old could have done better all because the editor didn't do their job. Perry is that person for Lois, no way he's publish anything by by her or any writer without going through to make sure it's sound. Today we do have spellcheck that helps us but I don't think it's improved our spelling as a whole, it just helps us to correct it. And with advancement in technology with auto-correct and shorthand texting, I think our spelling has grown much worse. People are no longer bothered with writing correct, full sentences etc.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 07-14-2019 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I have a question, does being a bad speller automatically make one a bad writer? Aren't editors there to clean up after the writers? You could be a great speller and suck as a writer imo.

In real life? Of course not. In comics? Yeah, kinda.

Lois is a much better journalist and reporter than Clark, who never misspells or has typos.

My point is we have enough personal flaws/ quirks with Lois that she doesn't need professional ones to make her seem more relatable.

Lois already has relatability in spades without the typos. They add nothing, IMO.

Astonishing Member

I don't have a problem with it.

Mighty Member

Yeah, I think it's ridiculous to say Lois is a bad reporter because of the spelling thing. Some writers might take it too far, but the spelling itself doesn't disqualify Lois from being a great reporter.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

I just think it's an old, tired joke that is never used except to callback to the movie. I feel smoking is a similar callback, but much more irritating, since it's something we would actually see day in and day out, but obviously don't, so it feels really out of place. Both of these were, so much as I can recall, used for nothing but humor in the movie, and have long since run their course.

And I do think it's at the expense of the character's expertise, though not to a huge degree. Being a bad speller doesn't make one a bad reporter, but you can't really say equally-good-at-prose-and-investigating, but one version can spell and one version cannot are the same professional quality. One is, at least, marginally better.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-14-2019 at 05:08 AM.