Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54
  1. #1
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    42,431

    Default Superman: Red Son and Superman: Man of Tomororw Animated Feature Films

    2020 will see the release of two new Superman Animated Feature Films.

    Superman: Red Son
    , adapting the popular Mark Millar Elseworlds novel about a Superman raised in Communist Russia, as well as Superman: Man of Tomorrow, a standalone film focused on a younger Superman early in his career.

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,500

    Default

    Please God keep Bruce Timm away from both of these because otherwise this is the best ******* news I’ve heard in a long time. Is it too much to hope Man of Tomorrow will be an adaption of Grant Morrison’s run? Because that’s what I’m hoping for.
    Last edited by Vordan; 07-19-2019 at 09:46 PM.

  3. #3
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    2020 will see the release of two new Superman Animated Feature Films.

    Superman: Red Son
    , adapting the popular Mark Millar Elseworlds novel about a Superman raised in Communist Russia, as well as Superman: Man of Tomorrow, a standalone film focused on a younger Superman early in his career.
    They just achieved universally positive reviews with Jerry and Rebecca playing Rebirth inspired roles that seem to be setting up a fresh future so it makes complete sense to backpedal completely....dump them....and do a cynical AU and an origin story.

    Did I say makes sense? Oh my bad. I meant... what a stupid thing to do lacking any and all creative synergy.

  4. #4
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    42,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Please God keep Bruce Timm away from both of these because otherwise this is the best ******* news I’ve heard in a long time. Is it too much to hope Man of Tomorrow will be Ana adaption of Grant Morrison’s run? Because that’s what I’m hoping for.
    I think Timm will probably be on Red Son, if only because he's headlined the other Elseworlds films.

    I'm really curious what they're going to do with Man of Tomorrow. Like, will it be it's own thing or a prequel movie for Jerry O'Connel's Supes?

  5. #5
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Cairo, Egypt
    Posts
    420

    Default

    I would like to see them adapt some Maggin stories like Last Son Of Krypton and Miracle Monday
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

    Credit for avatar goes to zclark

  6. #6
    Mighty Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,581

    Default

    A streamlined adaptation of Morrison's first arc on Action would be awesome, minus all the time imp and what not. But it states it's a completely original story:

    Unlike Red Son, Man of Tomorrow will be a fully original story featuring a young Superman early in his career
    .

  7. #7
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Please God keep Bruce Timm away from both of these because otherwise this is the best ******* news I’ve heard in a long time. Is it too much to hope Man of Tomorrow will be Ana adaption of Grant Morrison’s run? Because that’s what I’m hoping for.
    Word to this. Man of Tomorrow sounds exactly up my alley so I'll be gutted if Timm has anything to do with it.

    Also hoping for some heavy Action Vol 2. inspiration but if its an original who knows there. It'd be nice to get a different animation style too for that reason I'm rather hoping its disconnected from the current AU, as that has a distinctive style always followed. I don't dislike it, just like things shaken up once in a while.

    I'll be honest; I never read Red Son. It just happened to be an Elseworlds that passed me by at the time and I never rectified it outside of looking up summaries and scans online. Always down for Elseworlds though.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-19-2019 at 09:49 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Timm will probably be on Red Son, if only because he's headlined the other Elseworlds films.

    I'm really curious what they're going to do with Man of Tomorrow. Like, will it be it's own thing or a prequel movie for Jerry O'Connel's Supes?
    See Timm to me is the worst possible choice for Red Son. He always portrays Superman as both an asshole and an idiot, ESPECIALLY when Batman is involved. What separates Red Son from other “evil Supermen” stories is that while Red Son Superman is a dictator he is brilliant, smarter than Batman and only second to Luthor, and he is compassionate. He cares deeply for other people even doing messed up stuff like the Superman Robots because he refuses to kill. My fear is that Timm is going to totally botch that and just portray him as a evil moron who gets beaten up by Batman and Luthor.

  9. #9
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,204

    Default

    Hell if Timm is involved he'll probably expand Batman's role. I'm just done with him on anything Superman related.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-19-2019 at 10:11 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    They just achieved universally positive reviews with Jerry and Rebecca playing Rebirth inspired roles that seem to be setting up a fresh future so it makes complete sense to backpedal completely....dump them....and do a cynical AU and an origin story.

    Did I say makes sense? Oh my bad. I meant... what a stupid thing to do lacking any and all creative synergy.
    They've been doing movies outside that 'shared universe' for as long as they've had said universe.
    You can follow me on Twitter or Tumblr, if more of my opinions sounds like something you'd like.

  11. #11
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,726

    Default

    Oh damn, are they actually gonna do some sort of version of Morrison's first arc? Or more likely something inspired by it? Like, can I really sit here and hope?

    Also shoutouts to two Superman movies on deck.

    Edit: Thinking on it a bit, and I can't really think of too many of the new DCAU movies that are billed as a "fully original story." There are a few, but it's quite rare, so this'll be interesting.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-19-2019 at 10:52 PM.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    PM me if you tryina mix it up in SFV (and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Just know: the hypa bomb takes no prisoners.

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Oh damn, are they actually gonna do some sort of version of Morrison's first arc? Or more likely something inspired by it? Like, can I really sit here and hope?

    Also shoutouts to two Superman movies on deck.

    Edit: Thinking on it a bit, and I can't really think of too many of the new DCAU movies that are billed as a "fully original story." There are a few, but it's quite rare, so this'll be interesting.
    I’m hoping they’re at least taking from Morrison’s work, but honestly I’d be content with another Superman movie featuring him not dying at this point lol. I do hope he’s not fighting Lex though, I hope it’s someone else.

  13. #13
    Is The Best Monk The Red Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    411

    Default

    Red Son was an average story arc but I'm curious what Man of Tomorrow will bring. My first association was For Tomorrow but hoping to high heavens that's not anywhere close to where they are drawing from for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    They just achieved universally positive reviews with Jerry and Rebecca playing Rebirth inspired roles that seem to be setting up a fresh future so it makes complete sense to backpedal completely....dump them....and do a cynical AU and an origin story.

    Did I say makes sense? Oh my bad. I meant... what a stupid thing to do lacking any and all creative synergy.
    Universally positive? Death of Superman was divisive at best and Reign of the Supermen ended up doing even worse than that. I'm still laughing at all those people who shat on Superman: Doomsday, saying that those two films would do that godawful story arc justice and they ended up changing it up even more.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

  14. #14
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    Red Son was an average story arc but I'm curious what Man of Tomorrow will bring. My first association was For Tomorrow but hoping to high heavens that's not anywhere close to where they are drawing from for it.



    Universally positive? Death of Superman was divisive at best and Reign of the Supermen ended up doing even worse than that. I'm still laughing at all those people who shat on Superman: Doomsday, saying that those two films would do that godawful story arc justice and they ended up changing it up even more.
    I personally like Superman: Doomsday a lot but Death or Superman was, as I recall, one of their most financially successful animated films in quite a while and outside of the 20 people who post on this board was very well received and well reviewed.

  15. #15
    Mighty Member stargazer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,736

    Default

    Awesome news! Hope Red Son has a different art and character design to standout from the others. The animation in general also really needs to step up, imo; Death of Superman, as great as it was for me (and many people it seems), could have been even better with better graphics. DC and WB need to do a better job if they want to compete. I wonder if it's going to be a faithful adaptation..

    Superman: Man of Tomorrow also sounds great and fresh. I suppose Clark and Lois are going to meet or something. Their interaction could be fun and sweet. Hope it's a great story.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •