Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lois Lane #1

Always Rakzo

While I think Rucka could definitely be more subtle with his use of politics, this is still a tolerable execution. I think he did a far worse job during his Wonder Woman run where he used buzzwords left and right in an attempt to seem relevant (And even that was still better than whenever Ben Percy tried to be "political" in Green Arrow. Boy, you people were lucky to miss that).

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

It's already selling on Amazon for $10.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    It's already selling on Amazon for $10.
    That’s great! This has the potential to be the next Gotham Central.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That's horrible. My lcs wasn't open today and won't be July 4th. Then there will probably be order shenanigans. Probably gonna miss this one for the time being.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I really loved this issue. I haven't been keeping up with the Superman line at all and I had no troubles jumping in.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    People can complain about heavy handedness or whatever but Superman himself is pretty much an example of what happens when you let someone pick away characteristics until nothing is left. Modern Superman spends more time thinking about farming, his son, or marriage then he spends on trying to make the world a better place which is the exact goddamn thing he was created to do. So at some point you've got to put the important bits of the character first and foremost lest you end up like the one time "Champion of the Oppressed" who some how became the "Naive Farmboy"

I'll never understand why people try to say Post-Crisis Superman was relaxed or laid back. He clearly wasn't, the second you take him even slightly out of his comfort zone he becomes neurotic. It's just usually people that are uptight are at least somewhat tough and assertive but he had none of those qualities either. He's a door mat with a stick up his butt.
    Oh yeah! That must be why his son got tortured for years in a volcano. I guess, his son isn't part of the utopia the so called superman is built to make. Well, you got your wish. He doesn't care about his son. And "the marriage" that isn't something clark is good at, like you said clark is a door mat.He wasn't before. but now he is. Man! Bendis destroyed rebirth superman.
    Now, we don't have " champion of the oppressed" or " naive farmboy" . We are stuck with god knows what.

Anyways back to the topic, i liked the issue. I kinda like how lois doesn't care people are calling her slut. Superman is equally a shitty person anyway(if he were a different person). Kissing a married person is not something an honourable man would do. So, superman should also be the one getting the fire. I hope, renee is not the main question this story focuses on. I want more vic dammit.

I hope to heaven this secret is worth leaving her son alone in space.that, it can give some level of justification. Because, otherwise it is better they not focus on it. Lois as a shitty mother is not something i am interested in reading. I hope this focuses on journalism, than the superfamily. Why is the jon issue being dragged into this series anyway. It stick out like a sour thumb for me.

As for the politics, its not that subtle. Going in i knew what i was getting. So i didn't care. As long as they don't portray themselves as unbiased or something. I am good to go. I am ok with real world politicians being featured in comics. So it just doesn't matter for me.

Mike Perkins and Greg Rucka were at the store I usually get my comics from, but I wasn't able to make it. Alas.

Anyway, curious about Lois' dream - probably ties in to the secret.

Loved how she leveraged her rep and passed the Baton-of-questions-you-don't-want-to-answer to the other journalists in the briefing room and they proceeded to use it

It's going to get more dangerous for her as the story progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Mike Perkins and Greg Rucka were at the store I usually get my comics from, but I wasn't able to make it. Alas.

Anyway, curious about Lois' dream - probably ties in to the secret.

Loved how she leveraged her rep and passed the Baton-of-questions-you-don't-want-to-answer to the other journalists in the briefing room and they proceeded to use it

It's going to get more dangerous for her as the story progresses.
    I am very curious to see if the book starts leaning more into the DCU’s fantastical elements or if Rucka intends to keep this run “grounded” for the entire run. Gotham Central got more “out there” as it went on, particularly in the Dead Robins arc.

I hope it does. I know she's not a superhero per se, but I enjoy stories featuring her navigating within that sphere as a normal human. As long as they don't actually try to OP her in the process like Tomasi did in the Apokolips story, that rather misses the point entirely. I'm thinking stuff like Jimmy was classically knownfor (and looks to be again), adventures in a really strange world as a normal human. With less of the silly and slapstick, of course.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I hope it does. I know she's not a superhero per se, but I enjoy stories featuring her navigating within that sphere as a normal human. As long as they don't actually try to OP her in the process like Tomasi did in the Apokolips story, that rather misses the point entirely. I'm thinking stuff like Jimmy was classically knownfor (and looks to be again), adventures in a really strange world as a normal human. With less of the silly and slapstick, of course.
    Lois Lane can on very rare occasions get temporary powers or acquire suits or weapons with powers without earning the derisive label of OP. Not only has it been a regular feature of Superman comics for Lois AND Jimmy to get these temporary power ups, but it is also is an ubiquitous and accepted trope in the genre (see: Pepper Pots in the MCU). It's just strange that Grant Morrison can supercharge Lois in All Star Superman to much acclaim, but Tomasi does it for a limited time in order for Lois to have tools to protect herself and her family and it's time to bring out the pitchforks!

Honestly I don't think there's any collection of weaponry outside of outright superpowers that would allow any normal human being to survive on Apokolips for a second. Its far from a Lois thing. It makes just as little sense to me to allow Batman to even step foot on the planet, for instance. Jimmy? Forget about it as well (I know, Darkseid himself actually debuted in Jimmy Olsen, but the mythology has evolved so much since then, and even then I'm not sure if Jimmy has ever actually been to the planet). Obviously that's not the mindset that DC tends to roll with it, but it takes me out of the Fourth World mythology. With that place, considering its nature that it is in many ways literally Hell, I just think should be flat out off-limits to some folk, at no disrespect or mockery to them for it. Its just that hellish an environment. So yeah, if Tomasi had actually temporarily gifted her superpowers of some kind, I would have been more than fine with it. Just some tech though doesn't do it for me. And its just an opinion on how ideally I think certain locales should be treated, I'm hardly bringing out any pitchforks.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-04-2019 at 12:47 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Honestly I don't think there's any collection of weaponry outside of outright superpowers that would allow any normal human being to survive on Apokolips for a second. Its far from a Lois thing. It makes just as little sense to me to allow Batman to even step foot on the planet, for instance. Jimmy? Forget about it as well (I know, Darkseid himself actually debuted in Jimmy Olsen, but the mythology has evolved so much since then, and even then I'm not sure if Jimmy has ever actually been to the planet). Obviously that's not the mindset that DC tends to roll with it, but it takes me out of the Fourth World mythology. With that place, considering its nature that it is in many ways literally Hell, I just think should be flat out off-limits to some folk, at no disrespect or mockery to them for it. Its just that hellish an environment. So yeah, if Tomasi had actually temporarily gifted her superpowers of some kind, I would have been more than fine with it. Just some tech though doesn't do it for me. And its just an opinion on how ideally I think certain locales should be treated, I'm hardly bringing out any pitchforks.
    Okay, but isn't that just your subjective interpretation of the severity of conditions on Apokolips? I mean, how do you know exactly that Lois' own innate stealth and problem-solving abilities in tandem with her suit and collection of weaponry wouldn't be sufficient to survive Apokolips? It seems you are assuming the canon of Fourth World mythology has firmly established environmental conditions to which characters like Lois and Batman are sometimes contrived to adapt. Your opinion that the Fourth World should be off limits to some folks seems more of a personal preference rather than an expectation based on actual canon. For example, I recall a character in New Gods, Eve Donner, was a human who was kidnapped and brought to Apokolips. She was still a damsel-in-distress, but it wasn't like her body disintegrated or her ability to breathe ceased as soon as she arrived on the planet. Anyway, it honestly sounds like your real beef is that Apokolips has been written as under-powered as a setting. The fact that human characters like Lois are over-powered there is simply a byproduct of that stance.

It's absolutely a subjective preference. Obviously other writers do things differently. And not just Tomasi, like you said, there are other examples. My preference falls into different areas. But I think I framed it as such before, as just an opinion. Saying my preference falls under more of an idea of how powered, for lack of a better term, that I feel the planet, and the New Gods and Fourth World mythos as a whole should be portrayed, would indeed be accurate. That I feel certain characters can potentially look beyond their paygrade due to what I see as a lessening of the Fourth World concept in terms of grandeur. While I'm not particularly a fan of Tomasi's Rebirth title as a while, I've never thought he actually wrote Lois in particular badly. I found very little personally displeasing with that character interpretation, so it was definitely a by-product issue that I had with Imperius Lex.

Heck as much as I love the triangle era, looking back at that I think Superman even visited the place more on a whim and at his own convenience than I'd prefer it now. I not only prefer it as a place VERY hard to get to if you're not a New God, but a place you'd think twice to tread even if you're Superman.

Hope that clears up my feeling better. I've gone quite a bit off-topic from the thread though, but back to that I would certainly be interested if Rucka eventually takes things down a otherworldly path at some point, even if only as a brief interlude to what the true themes of the book end up being. Could be fun.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-04-2019 at 02:06 PM.

What I think would be interesting would be to look at the superhero world from Lois's viewpoint. Most every look at it comes from within it (I do include the Batfamily here), but she comes from an entirely different perspective. Tom King made some moves in that direction in Heroes in Crisis, but (a) it was only a minor subthread, (b) I have far more confidence in Rucka's ability to write complex interpersonal relations.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Loved this issue. The Lois & Clark scene was fantastic, and the way Rucka addressed the whole kiss thing was a step in the right direction. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out. But I loved Lois’ basically f’m attitude to the whole thing. While I dislike the idea of it becoming a part of their secret identity essentially the idea that they just role with it because they know it’s bs is interesting. Rucka’s Lois on the whole was fantastic, the scene with the maid and her conversation with Perry were also great. The scene at the end with the press briefing was a little on the nose even for me, but the satisfaction on Lois’ face as she walks out was to perfect.

The dream was really interesting as well, that seemed to be some kind of emblem. I’m still not convinced Lois didn’t take a 1000 year detour into the future on the way back from Jor El, but I hope there’s more to her secret than what we saw in Superman.

The art was a concern initially, it seemed to dark, but it worked really well for me on the whole.