Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lois Lane #1

Astonishing Member

Anyone can survive on Apokolips.

If Darkseid wills it.

I mean in TAS he straight up invited Mannheim up to check it out. I mean, "invited". Invited implies the free will to say no. He willed it. But like, you know, Darkseid's got formality and manners generally. Not pleasantries, just formalities.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Just finished reading this. I loved it.

I'm glad Rucka dared to go deeper with this. I want a political Lois Lane.

I read this back to back with this week's Justice League. Beautiful flip from grounded, real world dilemmas in a fleshed out world of Superman characters...to ridiculous fun with the Superfriends. I love the juxtaposition and the diversity in tone so, so, so much tbh.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-05-2019 at 10:50 PM.

Astonishing Member

wrong thread .
    Last edited by The World; 07-06-2019 at 06:16 AM. Reason: wrong thread
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

I really enjoyed this. Greg Rucka is one of my favorites so I knew I had to check this out. It has a Gotham Central feel to it that I really enjoy. And I love the art. Having The Question in it was great as well.
    The Question has always been one of my favorites. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Finally got my hands on a copy!

Ok, so first things first: which cover do I buy? They had both available, but I've never bought two copies of the same issue before, and I just couldn't start now. The Variant cover is breathtakingly gorgeous ... but I know that's not what I'm getting on the inside. The regular cover looks like an actual comic book cover, and is what is going on the pages of the book. Plus it gives Lois her own distinctive logo, so it won. Although, now I do wish her first issue's main cover actually showed her full face, instead of obscuring it behind a newspaper.

So, the story: I'm not that clear as to why Lois is living separately from Clark or why she's letting the world think she's cheating on Clark with Superman (I mean, I've read Bendis' books and a good reason still hasn't presented itself), but hopefully this series will explain it all before it's done.

The first issue establishes that this series is taking place within the main DCU and that's a double- edged sword. On the one hand, it's a good thing because presumably whatever happens here will reverberate throughout the rest of the DCU and not be forgotten once the maxi-series concludes. On the downside, that means we get the fake-separated, fake-cheating Lois. And probably the pointlessly aged-up Jon (blerg!) down the road too. Basically it's Bendis-Lois, i.e. not the best Lois, that Rucka has to write.

But Greg Rucka is a much better writer than Brian Michael Bendis. At least when it comes to Lois.

Rucka can make even Bendis-Lois very interesting (if not completely comprehensible). She's a character with bite and conviction, both of which come out in the issue.

The art by Mike Perkins is ... not quite what I expected. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. Every scene with the Question didn't work for me, mainly (since I don't follow that character), I couldn't tell if that was supposed to be Vic or Renee, it was too indistinct ... which is probably the point of the motif, but still.

So Donald Trump is definitely the president of DCU America or is it a reasonable facsimile (like how ARMAGEDDON 2001 used President Forest instead of Bush)?

Bottomline: I'm hooked. I kinda wish more stuff happened, but it's a first issue, and groundwork had to be laid. The artwork is too inconsistent for now.

Solid B.

Arrow

I didn't pick it up and don't think I will. I'm not one for non-superhero/non-supervillain led comic books but to each their own.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Where (and when) can we find out how well (or not) her first issue is selling?

And how often do both Questions show up in one issue while each is in their own Question guise? Seems like a rare thing, but I could be wrong.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Around the 2nd week of August on Comichron and Previewsworld.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

And how often do both Questions show up in one issue while each is in their own Question guise? Seems like a rare thing, but I could be wrong.
    On ComiXology it’s the #8 book of the week which honestly isn’t bad at all for a Lois Lane book.

I quite enjoyed this issue. I agree with others that it was a nice to see Clark Kent rather than Superman, I liked the way the Question was used (or is that Questions?) Based on the visuals and dialogue it was hard to tell if the one in the garage was supposed to be Vic and the one in Russia Renée or if it was supposed to be Renée both times just in different outfits as Lois asked the Question to go to Russia in the garage.

One thing that didn't quite work for me was the scene at the White House Press Room. I just don't see why the Daily Planet would waste their top investigative reporter at the press room. It is not like she'd be likely to get any of her questions answered there, so it seemed like a waste of time that didn't really do much else than clue in reporters from other outlets into what she was working on.

Also I have to say that while I personally don't have a problem with people smoking and drinking, I don't think having Lois drinking in solitude (or smoking for that matter) is a good choice. It doesn't really bring anything to the story and with Lois' strong personality and actions making her a very strong female role model it just seems wrong. Not that it isn't realistic or anything and to be honest I'm kinda surprised to find myself bothered by this, but for some reason it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenzel Kim View Post
    One thing that didn't quite work for me was the scene at the White House Press Room. I just don't see why the Daily Planet would waste their top investigative reporter at the press room. It is not like she'd be likely to get any of her questions answered there, so it seemed like a waste of time that didn't really do much else than clue in reporters from other outlets into what she was working on.
    On the other hand, part of being a journalist at the level that Lois is working on is managing her own brand, and the brand of the Daily Planet. She might not get the answers she is looking for at the White House Press Room, but she can certainly be seen asking her questions, and being tossed out for asking them. It also lets loose the rest of the journalist mob asking the same questions, making sure you remain in the spotlight.

From a publicity standpoint, that's golden.

Also I have to say that while I personally don't have a problem with people smoking and drinking, I don't think having Lois drinking in solitude (or smoking for that matter) is a good choice. It doesn't really bring anything to the story and with Lois' strong personality and actions making her a very strong female role model it just seems wrong. Not that it isn't realistic or anything and to be honest I'm kinda surprised to find myself bothered by this, but for some reason it does.
    Yeah, that was easily the weakest part of the issue to me. The hard-drinking muckraker (or private investigator) is indeed a cliché, and I'm not sure that particular one feels modern or one to bring into a female reporter. Also, from what I understand, women's drinking looks different from men's drinking.

Frankly, I don't understand what it is meant to say about Lois. Unlike the classic hard-drinking muckraker or PI, she has a good social network around her, and she's clearly not stuck in some career hole.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

The drinking in the way set up is more problematic to me. Drinking at all - that's fine. But given the sort of set up (especially since we haven't seen it before), I'm slightly concerned there may be a problem. On the other hand, I'm pleased the issue of something happening with Jor-El is being addressed (still don't see how her decision can be justified, though). The smoking on the other hand, is like the spelling comments - always makes me think of trying to call back the first Reeve movie. I don't care for that. Lois should be enough of a professional and care about her results enough to have them edited if you have to make her a bad speller. And smoking is less common than it was then, and even then, it was played for a joke, and that's about it. But mostly, it's the callback at the expense of the character today, and it's a bit annoying.

Astonishing Member

Well theres nothing really strange about drinking, it's practically an American pastime really. People who don't drink to some degree at least are probably stranger like Batman or the Punisher. Really Lois is basically just being your typical American in that sense.

Smoking once upon a time was seen as a tough guy characteristic, characters like Clint Eastwood had the iconic handrolled cigar/cigarette in his mouth. Jotaro Kujo who had a lot of characteristics in common with the iconic Clint Eastwood characters also seen smoking occasionally and his character could basically be summed up as "Tough Guy". In recent times though the connotation has changed, it's mainly a sanitary way of showing people with addict qualities without getting into the messy effects of hard drugs. Lois was shown having some kind of indecipherable nightmare so it could just be a sign that shes going through a tough time.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Well theres nothing really strange about drinking, it's practically an American pastime really. People who don't drink to some degree at least are probably stranger like Batman or the Punisher. Really Lois is basically just being your typical American in that sense.
    Well, that's not true. I get the point you're making, but it's not that vanishingly rare. From surveys, 15-20% of American adults say they don't drink at all. Now, some could be lying, given that a fair number of those who don't drink have that tied in with their religion, but it's not freakish not to drink.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    As I said I personally have no problem with drinking. I like to do so myself every once in a while. The "problem" for me is that while I saw absolutely no problem with her and Catwoman getting drunk in the recent Batman issue (even if that was brobably only a dream/nightmare of Bruce's) as that was two girls having a fun night out, whereas what we see here is someone drinking in solitude. Sure, you can enjoy a good scotch or whatever alone without it being an issue, but this seems a lot more casual, given that she is drinking out of a coffee mug, asks that the minibar is restocked "always and forever". That does not sound like a healthy approach to drinking.