Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lois Lane #1

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    On the other hand, part of being a journalist at the level that Lois is working on is managing her own brand, and the brand of the Daily Planet. She might not get the answers she is looking for at the White House Press Room, but she can certainly be seen asking her questions, and being tossed out for asking them. It also lets loose the rest of the journalist mob asking the same questions, making sure you remain in the spotlight.

From a publicity standpoint, that's golden.
    That's actually a good point. Didn't really think of it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenzel Kim View Post
    That's actually a good point. Didn't really think of it that way.
    Yeah. I actually went review-hunting outside of the usual suspects of comicbookroundup, and found one interesting observation: this is a fantasy of journalism:

Mind you, I wouldn’t go so far as to say this is a realistic portrayal of the profession. This is an idealized vision of it, every journalist’s fantasy. Unlimited time and resources, no oversight – these are pipe dreams for most of us toiling away in a profession that offers diminishing time and fewer resources while imposing increasing editorial and managerial demands. I don’t fault Rucka for this take, though. He’s emphasizing the calling, the mission, above all else, and exploring the possibilities of what can be achieved by journalism unencumbered by such pressures.
    In a way, getting tossed out of a press briefing for asking troublesome questions is a badge of honour for a journalist.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

This issue was phenomenal! I loved it. The art will take some getting used to, but it does work with the tone quite well - and I noticed that it "cleaned up" quite a bit in the shower scene, which if fitting for the tone change.

I definitely want to see Lois further "fleshed-out" like this. Not so much a fan of the "farm boy" derision taken to this extent, but it's not terrible. And as others have said, Clark in a support role is totally fine and a welcome change of pace, as is Lois taking center stage and kicking all kinds of @$$.

Another thought on Lois being there: she knew the WH would say they hadn't seen the story, and wanted to put it front and center while it was in the paper - so she made an example out of the WHPS and led the rest of the press right to the red meat she'd just dug up. Perfect. I also think that this might be her deliberately getting their attention two-fold for a reason we'll see later.

Anyway, I'd love for this to be an ongoing. Or at least a "going on as often as possible", lol
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

At the same time, I think the White House scene is not where the main plot will be going. It's there to establish Lois's credentials as a player and a journalist. I expect the real meat of the plot will begin with whatever the Question managed to fetch from Moscow.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    At the same time, I think the White House scene is not where the main plot will be going. It's there to establish Lois's credentials as a player and a journalist. I expect the real meat of the plot will begin with whatever the Question managed to fetch from Moscow.
    Yeah, I don't think it'll be the main plot, but it seems like something that may end up complicating the main plot, or even play into it.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Fantastic Member

I have to be honest and say! I don't care for the drinking and smoking!!

Truthfully, I wish the Questions would have been brought in on the next issue. The first issue should have been more all about Lois and her main connections, and start the team-ups with the second issue onward.

Basically, I wish they would have swapped out the Vic and Rene scenes for scenes with Lucy and Jon, respectively.

I do want to see Lois engage with other aspects of the DCU (loved Luthor's Black Ring saga), and the Questions are a good place to start.

But the first issue would have been better served with more focus on Lois.

Who, I'm glad to see, is still a drinking, smoking, swearing, flawed character.

Her typos are the one thing here that now seem very antiquated to me, tho

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Who, I'm glad to see, is still a drinking, smoking, swearing, flawed character.

Her typos are the one thing here that now seem very antiquated to me, tho
    That's good to hear.

I'll be reading this as soon as series finished and DC do decent thing of putting it in comixology sale

I trust it is safe to start reading up to date Superman stuff again? (I've avoided current stuff for a long time, knowing that any material featuring Wonder Woman as main dame would do my nut in.)

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    That's good to hear.

I'll be reading this as soon as series finished and DC do decent thing of putting it in comixology sale

I trust it is safe to start reading up to date Superman stuff again? (I've avoided current stuff for a long time, knowing that any material featuring Wonder Woman as main dame would do my nut in.)
    If you hated the SM/WW relationship, Rebirth marked the end of that.

I read issue #1 last night. Loved it! Rucka writes a great Lois and I’m hoping the book is a big success.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If you hated the SM/WW relationship, Rebirth marked the end of that.
    I can’t say hated...because I carefully avoided it.

I suspect I would have disliked it.

I remember ages ago a fellow poster..in praise of Superman’s “normal human” supporting cast writing something like:- “There’s been a marked tendency for today’s super heroes to only associate with each other. If Superman was created today, his girl friend would be Wonder Woman, his boss would be Alan Scott, his best friend would be Batman. Yet Lois, Perry and Jimmy are essential to Superman in a way those other characters can never be...”

I agreed with that whole heartedly. But as we both know..these judgments are personal and subjective..I can easily understand another fan having a different preference.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I remember ages ago a fellow poster..in praise of Superman’s “normal human” supporting cast writing something like:- “There’s been a marked tendency for today’s super heroes to only associate with each other. If Superman was created today, his girl friend would be Wonder Woman, his boss would be Alan Scott, his best friend would be Batman. Yet Lois, Perry and Jimmy are essential to Superman in a way those other characters can never be...”

I agreed with that whole heartedly. But as we both know..these judgments are personal and subjective..I can easily understand another fan having a different preference.
    It's a statement I agree with (though I acknowledge Jimmy and Perry were not initially present). I like some heroes having civilian friends. I think Jimmy should be Clark's best man (as he was) and Dick Bruce's (though he's a hero, too). I wish Barry had had more civilian supporting characters other than Iris. It's good that the heroes be part of the world, rather than just protecting it. Interacting with "normal" people is part of that. May be even more important for heroes like Superman and Wonder Woman, who are so very far from human in a power sense. This may be part of why I really do like secret identities. And would like to see more of the characters in their civilian identities in general.

So where are you regarding the artwork in this issue?

I'm not familiar with Mike Perkins work prior to this, but I can say that in some pages the artwork was spectacular, and in others it was hard to make out what was going on. Which definitely adds to the noir feel of the story.

Overall, B- for the art for me. The good parts were very, very good but the bad parts were kinda ... meh ...

Is there a specific artist that you would have preferred for the penciling duties for Lois ' series?
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 07-12-2019 at 03:54 AM.

The artwork suited the story well, for the most part.

If it was up to me, Reis would probably draw everything. lol
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

I was not excited by the artwork with the announcement, admittedly. I wasn’t familiar with Perkins, so when I googled his work I wasn’t to into what I saw. But the character design and cover was spectacular and I think that it ultimately fit the story well. The Chicago scenes, particularly the ones with Clark, were great. And the Question scenes were also really well done to me. The darkness there worked with the action.

I’d love to see Nicola Scott on this with Rucka. Scott can do atmospheric and noir-ish, her Black Magik style would be awesome. I think Mitch Gerards would probably kill it on this type of book as well, if someone could pry him away from Tom King.
    Last edited by Yoda; 07-12-2019 at 05:39 AM.