Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Thus far, MCU Spidey films are 2 for 2 when it comes to delivering great villains. Which makes me REALLY excited to see who's next (I want to see Kraven myself). Also as someone who's waited almost 20 years to finally see Mysterio on the big screen, thank you Marvel for doing him justice.

Also Peter and MJ is already easily one of the best MCU romances imo.

Spectacular Member CaptainCanada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    If you want to look at it politically, the movies have villains who are respectively, a honest working-class dude without a criminal record (Toomes) who had his legal contract taken away from him without compensation which by the way is illegal, as per the law of Eminent Domain in the USA...you cannot take property from someone without proper compensation...both Matt Murdock, Jennifer Waters, or Janice Lincoln (although she's more corporate law than civil law) could have taken his case. Of course it turns out it's justified since this guy is some arms dealer (which as he points out is what Tony Stark was before he got his redemption arc, something that isn't allowed for the likes of Toomes)...so it's like "Sure Tony and Damage Control stiffed a little guy but look he became evil, that gives them the right to do this, since it isn't their fault."
    Toomes' contract wasn't "taken", it was cancelled, and operations consolidated under Damage Control. It's quite reasonable to want to have a specialized firm handling such things, especially given how dangerous the technology is (which Toomes himself subsequently proves).

And yes, he should have been able to file a claim for compensation for the costs he already incurred. Apparently he didn't bother.

In the case of Beck, a dude who had his intellectual property and life's work appropriated, renamed and taken away from him.
    Beck was a Stark Industries employee. Everything he developed he developed on Tony's dime, and was never his property. Whining that Stark didn't use his technology the way he wanted to doesn't justify him doing any of the things he did.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCanada View Post
    Beck was a Stark Industries employee. Everything he developed he developed on Tony's dime, and was never his property. Whining that Stark didn't use his technology the way he wanted to doesn't justify him doing any of the things he did.
    That argument didn't fly with Siegel and Shuster when people defended DC against them, it won't fly now either.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Finally went and saw it tonight and enjoyed it quite a bit. My immediate hot take is Jake Gyllenhal as Mysterio is easily the best portrayal of a Spider-Man rogue put to film.

I think Raimi vs the MCU debate is kind of played out since both movies have taken completely different approaches to adapting The Spider-Man myth is to film.
    I have to agree, and that's quite an accomplishment, considering how awesome Doctor Octopus was.

Spectacular Member CaptainCanada's Avatar

That argument didn't fly with Siegel and Shuster when people defended DC against them, it won't fly now either.
    Uh, no, those are completely different circumstances. Literally nobody goes to work as a developer at a major technology company expecting to own the stuff they make there.

Hell, not even Beck himself claims that. He's angry that Tony didn't appreciate what he felt was the potential of his work. And he was then fired for being unstable, which his behaviour bears out.

Ultimate Member

Tony Stark, was a mess. Even Happy admits that to Peter, and Happy was Tony's friend. It's an ongoing thing that Tony has a habit of creating his own villains through his previous actions (or in the case of Whiplash, his father's actions).

Basically Tony probably didn't give Beck a second thought, just like he didn't give Toombs a second thought either. Does it justify their actions, of course not. But it does fit into Tony's past jerkishness coming back to haunt him (or Peter in this case).

Keaton, Gyllenhaal and Molina are great screen Spidey villains.

Ultimate Member

Dafoe had a great performance as well imo. But I wasn't too fond of the writing of Norman in that film.

If I had to rank all the Spider-Man movie villains, it'd probably go:

Vulture > Doc Ock > Mysterio > Norman Green Goblin > Kingpin (Spider-Verse) > Prowler (Spider-Verse) > Doc Ock (Spider-Verse) > Sandman > Harry Green Goblin (Raimi) > Venom > Rhino > Both Shockers > Lizard > Harry Green Goblin (Amazing) > Elementals > Electro

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post

Vulture > Doc Ock > Mysterio > Norman Green Goblin > Kingpin (Spider-Verse) > Prowler (Spider-Verse) > Doc Ock (Spider-Verse) > Sandman > Harry Green Goblin (Raimi) > Venom > Rhino > Both Shockers > Lizard > Harry Green Goblin (Amazing) > Elementals > Electro
    Excellent ranking!

BANNED

My rankings are Dafoe Goblin > Aaron Davis Prowler > Liv Octopus > Keaton Vulture > Molina Ock > Gyllenhaal Mysterio.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post

Mine would be pretty similar.

Vulture > Doc Ock > Mysterio > Kingpin (Spider-Verse) > Norman Green Goblin > Prowler (Spider-Verse) > Doc Ock (Spider-Verse) > Harry Green Goblin (Raimi) > Sandman > Lizard > Venom > Rhino > Both Shockers > Harry Green Goblin (Amazing) > Electro

I wouldn't really count the Elementals,
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I wouldn't really count the Elementals,
    I put the Elementals as kind of a gag to demonstrate how terrible Electro was. The fake hologram monsters are better than him

My rankings are Dafoe Goblin > Aaron Davis Prowler > Liv Octopus > Keaton Vulture > Molina Ock > Gyllenhaal Mysterio.
    WHAT? Gyllenhaal is at the bottom? Nah, man.

Dunst MJ > Dafoe > Gyllenhall > Keaton > Molina > Prowler > Kingpin > Other Octopus > James Franco > Sandman > Electro > Topher Grace's Frosted Tips > The Goomba > That Heroin Addict On A Glider > Rhino Boxer Shorts
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate