Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Spider-Man Far From Home SPOILERS!

So we discussed general feelings/thoughts to the film in the other thread. This thread is for more specifics.

spoilers:
    The Mid Credit scene genuinely surprised me! They have definitely upped the stakes for Spidey. Now that his identity is out what do you think they will do? Who are they going to have come after him? .
    end of spoilers

Also, where would you rank this to previous spider-man films? I place this at no. 3 behind Spiderverse on my list.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

FULL SPOILERS

I'll be seeing it again with some family, so maybe my opinion will change. I think it's maybe as good if not slightly better than Homecoming. So it's basically a toss between fourth and fifth place (Top 3 is ITSV>Spider-Man 1> Spider-Man 2).

The flaws of the movie are more or less the flaws of the first film. The choices baked into inserting Spider-Man into MCU at very short notice and the decision to make MCU Spider-Man into an Iron Man sub-franchise and legacy. To me those flaws continue to hamper it. It was fine if we were promised Marvel Team-Up and maybe Part 2 will have him team up with Cap or Ant-Man or whoever, but now that's not gonna happen. At this rate, we can forget about seeing Spider-Man vs. Juggernaut which is what a Spider-Man in a shared universe should be focused on in terms of priorities. The stuff I liked in Far From Home is more or less the Endgame fallout, Zendaya's stuff and so on. But Jon Watts continues to be a weak director of these movies and I think a poor horse for this racecourse.

spoilers:

As for Mysterio...I felt they misread the character by making him a scientist. He's an artist. I think the goofy special effects stuff and so on should have been retained. And the constant grudge match against Tony Stark these movies have are getting annoying and pointless. If this was done before Civil War and Peter fought for Cap against Tony and came to blows with Iron Man then at least it would have meant something. Now we have a situation where bad guys have legitimate grievances against Iron Man but are also evil, and so there's no actual catharsis for this. It's a pointless source of conflict.

The lack of Uncle Ben. I am sorry Mysterio creates a vision of Peter's worst nightmare and it's Tin Man Downey Jr and not Uncle Ben. In the words of Norman Osborn, "I have a bridge to sell you".

Simmons coming back as Jameson. I have mixed feelings about that. I like seeing Simmons' Jameson but I don't know what that's supposed to mean. For one thing, MCU Jameson doesn't know Peter, has never employed him, and so on, so the entire basis of their relationship is simply not there. By casting Simmons, the film-makers want the emotions we retain from the Tobey movies and give it to Tom Holland's movies without the latter earning it. The other thing about Peter's identity being outed...again all of Peter's supporting cast know his identity, Vulture knows, the entire superhero community knows, and MCU Peter's inept at keeping his identity secret, so there's nothing at stake for this reveal to screw up. In Civil War, Jameson didn't know until Peter unmasked himself, Peter's job as a high school teacher was compromised and so on, Dr. Octopus went berserk about being humiliated by a teenage Peter and so on. In USM, Bendis made Peter's unmasking a signal that he was gonna die and it was there to drive stakes and it was tragic...here I just felt nothing.

To me the post-credits scene, felt like clickbait. I wish they went with Simmons' Jameson showing up at the end-credits, and Peter getting a summer internship there and the next movie set their relationship. I mean in the next movie, if they have MCU Peter dying and Miles coming in, I am like okay we're getting rid of the incompetent and an actual professional is coming in because they haven't sold MCU Peter the way Bendis did Ultimate Peter for Miles coming in to be "in bad taste". If the next movie is about Dr. Strange making the world forget Peter's identity and so on...then the fourth movie is going to be a "back to basics" take where we have Peter in a world with everyone knowing his identity, I would be like...we are waiting three movies to see a legit Spider-Man story?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 07-03-2019 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    FULL SPOILERS

I'll be seeing it again with some family, so maybe my opinion will change. I think it's maybe as good if not slightly better than Homecoming. So it's basically a toss between fourth and fifth place (Top 3 is ITSV>Spider-Man 1> Spider-Man 2).

The flaws of the movie are more or less the flaws of the first film. The choices baked into inserting Spider-Man into MCU at very short notice and the decision to make MCU Spider-Man into an Iron Man sub-franchise and legacy. To me those flaws continue to hamper it. It was fine if we were promised Marvel Team-Up and maybe Part 2 will have him team up with Cap or Ant-Man or whoever, but now that's not gonna happen. At this rate, we can forget about seeing Spider-Man vs. Juggernaut which is what a Spider-Man in a shared universe should be focused on in terms of priorities. The stuff I liked in Far From Home is more or less the Endgame fallout, Zendaya's stuff and so on. But Jon Watts continues to be a weak director of these movies and I think a poor horse for this racecourse.

spoilers:

As for Mysterio...I felt they misread the character by making him a scientist. He's an artist. I think the goofy special effects stuff and so on should have been retained. And the constant grudge match against Tony Stark these movies have are getting annoying and pointless. If this was done before Civil War and Peter fought for Cap against Tony and came to blows with Iron Man then at least it would have meant something. Now we have a situation where bad guys have legitimate grievances against Iron Man but are also evil, and so there's no actual catharsis for this. It's a pointless source of conflict.

The lack of Uncle Ben. I am sorry Mysterio creates a vision of Peter's worst nightmare and it's Tin Man Downey Jr and not Uncle Ben. In the words of Norman Osborn, "I have a bridge to sell you".

Simmons coming back as Jameson. I have mixed feelings about that. I like seeing Simmons' Jameson but I don't know what that's supposed to mean. For one thing, MCU Jameson doesn't know Peter, has never employed him, and so on, so the entire basis of their relationship is simply not there. By casting Simmons, the film-makers want the emotions we retain from the Tobey movies and give it to Tom Holland's movies without the latter earning it. The other thing about Peter's identity being outed...again all of Peter's supporting cast know his identity, Vulture knows, the entire superhero community knows, and MCU Peter's inept at keeping his identity secret, so there's nothing at stake for this reveal to screw up. In Civil War, Jameson didn't know until Peter unmasked himself, Peter's job as a high school teacher was compromised and so on, Dr. Octopus went berserk about being humiliated by a teenage Peter and so on. In USM, Bendis made Peter's unmasking a signal that he was gonna die and it was there to drive stakes and it was tragic...here I just felt nothing.

To me the post-credits scene, felt like clickbait. I wish they went with Simmons' Jameson showing up at the end-credits, and Peter getting a summer internship there and the next movie set their relationship.
    end of spoilers
    Let me ask you something: do you actually like Spider-Man?

In terms of rankings, at the moment I'd go with (From worst to best)...
    Spider-Man 3
    Amazing Spider-Man 2

And a gap between....

Spider-Man: Far From Home
    The Amazing Spider-Man
    Spider-Man

And a bit of a gap between...

Spider-Man: Homecoming
    Into the Spider-Verse
    Spider-Man 2

It was okay. The special effects got impressive in the fight scenes. It got more interesting when the main narrative was established. They had some fun with the teens on a European field trip, and Peter and MJ's relationship has a nice arc. However, the main arc repeated a lot of beats from Homecoming (Spider-Man tries to gain the approval of an older superhero who is a mainstay of the MCU, The villain is jealous of Stark and got his hands on tech from earlier films.) The stakes (the literal end of the world) don't match Peter's concerns (getting with a girl). Spider-Man seems less mature and confident than he was in Civil War. It does end in a very interesting way, but that almost overshadows everything else, although it may be some of the best few minutes of a Spider-Man film.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I see your points with Iron Man and while I agree it is rather tiresome, I think they took small steps in getting Peter to be his own hero and not trying to be "Iron Boy". We will see what happens in the future.

Top 3
    1: Spider-Man 2- I think it's the perfect spider-man film.
    2. Spider-Verse
    3. Far From Home
    4. Spider-Man
    5. Homecoming
    6. Spider-Man 3
    7. ASM
    7. ASM 2
    Last edited by Jekyll; 07-03-2019 at 08:27 AM.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

It isn't very good, IMO -

1.) Into the Spider-Verse
    2.) Spider-Man 2
    3.) Amazing Spider-Man
    4.) Spider-Man
    5.) Amazing Spider-Man 2
    6.) Spider-Man Homecoming
    7.) Spider-Man Far From Home
    8.) Spider-Man 3
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    I see your points with Iron Man and while I agree it is rather tiresome, I think they took small steps in getting Peter to be his own hero and not trying to be "Iron Boy". We will see what happens in the future.

Top 3
    1: Spider-Man 2- I think it's the perfect spider-man film.
    2. Spider-Verse
    3. Far From Home
    spoilers:
    I WENT FOR JK SIMMONS. I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED. I knew about 2 weeks ago he was there.
    end of spoilers
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Let me ask you something: do you actually like Spider-Man?
    I have never been entirely satisfied with any live-action version of Spider-Man, if that's what you mean. And there are legitimate dramatic issues with the choices taken in this movie that again because of the surprise and the nature of the marketing, people are giving a free pass on for the time being. I think in general people are overly forgiving of the MCU movies simply because it's better than ASM and Spider-Man 3. I find the MCU movies more frustrating than bad. I liked Spider-Man best when he showed in CIVIL WAR and it's a real shame that the Russos couldn't handle the solo Spider-Man movies and instead it was handled to someone like Jon Watts.

The issues about Spider-Man stem from the fact that unlike the X-Men and the FF, who Feige has all the time in the world to carefully integrate and introduce into the MCU, the Spider-Man movies had to be inserted very quickly and at short notice into an ongoing franchise and the seams show in the too-hasty integration. They cast a character actor in a lead actor's part, and we have a fairly one-dimensional version of Peter Parker in these movies.

The talk about the ending is probably going to overshadow everything else, but I think it was really well-paced.

spoilers:
    The brief conversation between Peter, May and Happy is framed as if he's confessing to the world that he's Spider-Man, which bookends nicely with the later reveal.
    With Homecoming largely set in the suburbs, and this film largely set in different European cities, Director Jon Watts has made conscious decisions not to repeat visuals from earlier Spider-Man films, so when the MCU Spider-Man is swinging through New York City in broad daylight, which is probably the most iconic Spider-Man visual, this is the first time we've really seen that happen. It creates the impression that this Spider-Man has arrived, that he's done with the origin story.
    Peter flying w/ MJ is fun.
    The Alex Jones-ish J. Jonah Jameson debut is excellent. The first big surprise is that we've got JK Simmons back as Jonah, after a period of twelve years. It's the right approach.
    When he blames Spider-Man for Mysterio's death, that seems like a good enough final twist. Peter Parker is going to be the superhero who no one can trust.
    And then they've got the big reveal.

In the post-credits scene, the idea that the Nick Fury and Maria Hill of this film were Skrulls, helps avoid any problems with characterization in a film that requires Nick Fury to make some big mistakes.
    end of spoilers
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I have never been entirely satisfied with any live-action version of Spider-Man, if that's what you mean. And there are legitimate dramatic issues with the choices taken in this movie that again because of the surprise and the nature of the marketing, people are giving a free pass on for the time being. I think in general people are overly forgiving of the MCU movies simply because it's better than ASM and Spider-Man 3. I find the MCU movies more frustrating than bad. I liked Spider-Man best when he showed in CIVIL WAR and it's a real shame that the Russos couldn't handle the solo Spider-Man movies and instead it was handled to someone like Jon Watts.

The issues about Spider-Man stem from the fact that unlike the X-Men and the FF, who Feige has all the time in the world to carefully integrate and introduce into the MCU, the Spider-Man movies had to be inserted very quickly and at short notice into an ongoing franchise and the seams show in the too-hasty integration. They cast a character actor in a lead actor's part, and we have a fairly one-dimensional version of Peter Parker in these movies.
    I mean, to be honest, and this goes for everyone: if we set our expectations sky high, we'll always be disappointed. I wasn't expecting this movie to be say Spidey PS4 level (which I consider to be the absolute closest next to "Spectacular Spider-Man") but I'm hoping for a good time. If it can give me that, I'm good.

my wife pretended to blip
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    ...Spidey PS4 level...
    The PS4 game is top notch it is not much below Into the Spiderverse or Spider 2 in terms of quality, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    my wife pretended to blip
    That was hilarious!!!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    The PS4 game is top notch it is not much below Into the Spiderverse or Spider 2 in terms of quality, IMO.
    That's what I'm saying. ITSV, Spidey PS4, and Spectacular Spider-Man were the definitive adaptations for me. They got closest to the heart and determination of the character. Despite that, those are in a class of their own. I wouldn't expect these films to reach that. If they do, great. But needlessly nitpicking doesn't seem too productive to me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    For me the best iteration of Spider-Man outside the comics is the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon comfortably then Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.