Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Astonishing Member

Perosnally the bit with Punisher than always gives me a good chuckle was from Genis' Captain Marvel bit that really played up how messed up Frank was.

He goes and kills a man who used to be some form of criminal but who since reformed and is just living a quiet life, possibly as a religious leader. But the real kicker was Punisher got some of Genis' cosmic awareness and sees the likely future. That mans son grows up and kills Frank. So it ends with Frank pleading for his life to a child who's only like 10.

But what it really shows is Punisher's own actions will inevitably result in his own death and worse creates criminals out of the friends and family of those who he kills which seems fitting and really always cemented me as Frank being a villain who just kills "bigger" villains.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DS1 View Post
    It's long been said by some people that characters who kill scum are no better than said scum. That they're hypocrites and all.

It's something I never really got. To me, the likes of the Punisher and Dexter Morgan are clearly better than the criminals they habitually kill. Like I'm going to believe that there's no difference between them and a sexual predator who preys on children then kill them. Like killing a rapist is exactly the same as killing an helpless innocent.

Hell, sometimes I wonder if some people don't actually think these anti-heroes are worse than the villains they kill. Like, they're thinking "Leave them alone, you big meanie you!". Those criminals might have families to feed, so who cares about the families of innocent people they kill? Or they had a terrible childhood, yet funnily those anti-heroes probably didn't suffer a tragedy themselves. Like criminals are always kind of poor and down on their luck, while murderous anti-heroes are elitist fascists.

At least that's how it come off to me, sometimes. Though, as funny as it might sound, I'm not exactly fond of the death penalty. It kills too many innocents, because most of the people in charge are idiots, or corrupt, or both. Still, people who can be proven to be scum without a shadow of a doubt, should be dealt with harshly.
    Dexter is a serial killer who got away from it because he could cover up his crimes and later on used his ties to Harry Morgan (who originally taught him how to do what he did till they retconned it) and Debra Morgan to keep from being a suspect. I liked the first four seasons, but in a world where police brutality is getting more attention than ever it's hard to even see Dexter as an anti-hero.

I always thought the best take on the Punisher was Ennis. I also liked Pat Mill's parody of the character and the mindset behind it in Marshal Law.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    always thought the best take on the Punisher was Ennis. I also liked Pat Mill's parody of the character and the mindset behind it in Marshal Law.
    The difference between Mills and Co on Punisher 2099 and Chuck Dixon doing the last few issues is seriously staggering. I know Dixon was probably writing to order and don't fault him, but it's still a weird shift.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Spectacular Member

I have read several issues of Punisher and the guy really sheds gratituous violence and innecesary killing. Antiheroes like Punisher perhaps reflects the need of a society for someone who breaks the rules to punish efficiently the evildoers society cannot punish correctly. My mom is a fan of Investigation Discovery channel and since she is retired she watches the programs from there day and night, my favorite part of the shows are on the minute 55 when we finally learn the veredict and conviction of the killers. Even in America the land of justice and liberty you can see people getting away with less than 20 years of imprisonment for killing people who were the supporters of children and old people. Sometimes less than that for killing productive people, good people as they being a scum just go to prison for a 15 years vacation to go out as nothing have happened.
    People who defends the rights of criminals will stop the day their children be raped and killed, not that I wish that, no children in the world should suffer but defending the rights of a criminal is an insult to the victims, the rights of the victims are over any other right.
    Punisher and Dexter are fiction characters and they were created just to entertainment purposes, however they reflects the desire of society for justice, plain and fast justice.

Dexter has killed several innocent people in the books so he's not really all that worthy of admiration.

On the show Rankin is probably the most notabe example of Dexter completely breaking code. He just outright murders him in the boathouse because Rankin is jerk.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I have read several issues of Punisher and the guy really sheds gratituous violence and innecesary killing. Antiheroes like Punisher perhaps reflects the need of a society for someone who breaks the rules to punish efficiently the evildoers society cannot punish correctly. My mom is a fan of Investigation Discovery channel and since she is retired she watches the programs from there day and night, my favorite part of the shows are on the minute 55 when we finally learn the veredict and conviction of the killers. Even in America the land of justice and liberty you can see people getting away with less than 20 years of imprisonment for killing people who were the supporters of children and old people. Sometimes less than that for killing productive people, good people as they being a scum just go to prison for a 15 years vacation to go out as nothing have happened.
    People who defends the rights of criminals will stop the day their children be raped and killed, not that I wish that, no children in the world should suffer but defending the rights of a criminal is an insult to the victims, the rights of the victims are over any other right.
    Punisher and Dexter are fiction characters and they were created just to entertainment purposes, however they reflects the desire of society for justice, plain and fast justice.
    Not so much justice as vengeance.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Not so much justice as vengeance.
    Only victims can understand it. Anger, wish of vengeance,desire for justice all is part of what the victims feel. The solution? The only one I can see is the forgiveness and expecting God's retribution.