Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What non-comic stuff would you like to be canon?

I just started watching the new season of Young Justice which made me think of the old seasons and recall that one of the things that is particularly original on this show and not on comics is that both Martian Manhunter and Miss Martian do not have Heat Vision but instead have Telekinesis. WHICH MAKES SENSE!! because fire is their weakness.

This also made me think of other examples of other media that are original there and not canon in the comics
    like I always love that on Batman Begins, Bruce is trained directly by Ra's to be the next leader of the League of Shadows, the involment of Lucius Fox in the 3 movies is pretty much more interesting than anything else ever done with him previously and the interpretation of what happen to Joe Chill is by far the best version of that ever made
    on the Arrowverse I loved that Oliver meet Deathstroke and Shado in the island and the overall relationship that this characters had. though what Lemire did with GA was also pretty good.

So anyone else has some other examples of stuff that is very good or interesting in the Movies and TV shows that should be taken by the comics?
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 07-03-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Well, I dislike retcons that put the villains (or other heroes) back into a given hero's past, so that lets out a lot of changes from various movies. I guess I do rather like the YJ cartoon having Wally deliberately re-create the incident that gave Barry powers, though I acknowledge that could be somewhat wonky when he doesn't already know about Barry being Flash. Don't especially want it to be canon, but I like the idea in abstract and wouldn't be upset about it. I like Wally's good parents, too, but that originates pre-COIE.

Astonishing Member

Supergirl having a sister like in the TV show. Alex changes the dynamic by giving Kara a confidant and differentiates Kara's childhood from Clark's since he never has to deal with any sibling rivalry or sibling camaraderie. I can do without the DEO stuff or J'onn being a family friend/mentor, so it wouldn't have to match the show's Alex point for point. Just giving her a human being that she has as much connection to as she does to Superman and who isn't a parent or a love-interest would be enough.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Here's my thought. Since Barry on TV borrows heavily from Wally's characterization as Flash, turn about is fair play.

Wally, looking for redemption, sets up his base in the Pacific NW. Apt, considering Portland, Oregon is used for the wider city shots of Central City for the show. He's ends up working at Star Labs with several characters who are also looking for redemption

Harrison Wells - Was kidnapped by Thawne, who impersonated him and hurt people. So he didn't do anything wrong, but everyone thinks he did.
    Caitlin Snow/Killer Frost - No dual personalities. Just accidentally hurt some people, and she is trying to use her intelligence to help.
    Cisco/Vibe - Failed to save his brother due to not being more adept with his powers. His family doesn't hold him responsible, though.
    Wally - Looking for redemption after HinC, as well as to find a way to get his wife & kids back.

Full-blown characterization from TV for the first three.

I'd establish/retcon that what happened in HinC was the result of tampering and outside control. Wally would be absolved and start to move forward. At that point, I'd have a Superman style merging of pre-New 52 Wally and Rebirth Wally, with Linda and the twins coming back. HinC no longer happened. Roy & Lian are back and recur. Lian and the twins are friends. Donna Troy's 80's origin would be restored due to the merger, as would much of the Wolfman era history.

Given the unlikeliness of Wally's origin duplicating Barry's accident, I don't have a problem with having a Superman rebirth style merger happen. I think most Wally fans would ultimately be happy enough with the end result that the derivative solution would be easy to accept. Beats the heck out of deals with Satan (Spidey), mind backups (Batman), etc.

Batpoles. (10 char)

Definitely Red X from the Teen Titans animated series:

Last edited by K7P5V; 11-18-2019 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Made a correction.

I’d like the concept of Legends of Tomorrow to eventually make it over to the comics. Maybe wait until the show’s been over a few years, then cash in on nostalgia. Doesn’t even have to be a similar roster. Though I wouldn’t mind adding Sara to the dcu, as she’s arguably one of the arrowverse’s best additions.
    Black Lightning’s wife being John Stewart’s sister is a detail that has potential.
    Jay Garrick being the earth 2 doppelgänger of Henry Allen. It adds to the legacy element in the Flash. Plus it gives more meat to the Barry/Jay dynamic.
    Thomas Wayne being a POS like he was in the Telltale games. Batman’s mission being about redemption instead of vengeance works really well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Definitely, Red X from the Teen Titans animated series:
    Double "yes" to that! Red X was awesome.

Also, Aya the A.I. from "Green Lantern"

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Batpoles. (10 char)
    wait
    are they not canon?
    Im pretty sure I have seen them before

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    At that point, I'd have a Superman style merging of pre-New 52 Wally and Rebirth Wally, with Linda and the twins coming back.
    this is thing that is never going to happen
    I always thought that the biggest problem with New-Wally is that it was only created because of the show
    not that there is anything necesarily wrong with that but its a weak premise, try to follow this:
    Iris West is black on the show and Barry is not blond and nobody complained because they are just new interpretations od the characters, Wally needed to be black in the show because his family is black, it was inevitable
    It makes sense on context
    so why was Wally black on the new 52 when Iris isnt?
    because he is black on the show

Once this box was open its hard to close it again without the perception of "DC is whitewashing the Flash" or something like that
    and its not like I have anything against this version of the character but in the comics he is a very different character to the other Wally and it would be hard to justify just getting rid of it

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Black Lightning’s wife being John Stewart’s sister is a detail that has potential.
    I was very surprised on this as well on ep 1 of YJ
    Its definitely interesting

An incarnation/series of the Justice League where Robin and the Wonder Twins are members of the team.

The Tigress, Sportsmaster, Cheshire, and Artemis familial relationship. (And the Crusher Crock from the Young Justice animated series. Who knew Sportsmaster could be an interesting and fun characte?!)

The John Stewart and Shayera Thal romance.

The BTAS version of Pamela Isley.

The JLU version of the Question.

Bring on Sarah Lance and the LoT (at least as a team). She's a pretty cool character, and a fun adventure romp through time and with shenanigans out the wazoo has a lot of potential.

Dick as a sort of freelance hero that goes around the world and brings in friends to help him deal with local crime issues like in Young Justice Outsiders is simple, but oh so very effective.

I'll be honest, the SuperboyxMiss Martian thing has really grown on me from Young Justice as well. Same with Wally and Artemis (if Wally can't have Linda, then do something with the poor guy!).

Once upon a time I wanted Chloe Sullivan to be introduced to the Superman comics proper (and she was but it was shortly before the reboot and didn't last), but I think that ship has unfortunately sailed to ever happen again for real-life reasons.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Once upon a time I wanted Chloe Sullivan to be introduced to the Superman comics proper (and she was but it was shortly before the reboot and didn't last), but I think that ship has unfortunately sailed to ever happen again for real-life reasons.
    I was honestly thinking the exact same thing
    Jimmy Olsen's comic by Nick Spencer was pretty good

I always wonder why was she never reintroduced in the new 52
    I mean, Now there is a pretty damn good justification for it but back then it seem like a good addition to Superman
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 07-04-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Definitely Red X from the Teen Titans animated series:
    The only criminal the Titans never actually beat. A lot of fan theories that he was that universe's Jason Todd (hence the similar fighting style, hacking into Titan Tower, etc), as well as some other, more out there theories.

With Alison Mack's legal troubles i doubt we see Chloe in comics for some time to come if ever again.

Red X at least got a name drop in the Terror Titans limited series but no actual appearance. But it seems he was in universe Pre-Flashpoint.