Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

Default Your Top 10 X-Events/Stories from 2000-Now?

I'm really curious as to what new X-men Events or Stories you would consider your favorite or essential new staples or classics? In light of this Seminal Moments zetigeist.

The old, 'real' Classics I see are pretty much agreed upon.

What are the modern favorites?

Edit: I made a poll where you can write in your own events but a list might be better

https://linkto.run/p/62J8F25L

Incredible Member hedgehogvampire's Avatar

I mostly only read X-men comics from the 2000s so far. I didn't start reading the X-men comics till like 2008 or 2009.

House of M is definitely up there, since that is what made me get into Marvel comics to begin with. I remember when I first read it I think only the first Iron Man movie was out so like outside Spider-man and the X-men I didn't know who any the Avengers were, my how times have change. XD I also love Messiah Complex, Childhood's End, and Manifest Destiny. Utopia was also cool but I thought that era ended way too soon, Gifted was also fun. E is for Extinction and most of the New X-men era comics that I read so far are great too, I wasn't really a fan of the art during that run though.

There's actually quite a few comics on this list that I haven't read yet, so I'll probably check those out soon.

Edited: I'm an idiot, I miss read the Tread's name. I read it as your top stories, totally missed the top ten part. Whoops.
    Here's the list (no order really)
    1. House of M
    2. Messiah Complex
    3. Quest For Magik
    4. Supernovas
    5. Childhood's End
    6. Spider-Man and the X-men (mini series)
    7. With Great Power
    8. The Black Vortex
    9. Utopia
    10. Manifest Destiny
    Last edited by hedgehogvampire; 07-03-2019 at 04:05 PM.
    My pull list: Sonic the Hedgehog, TMNT, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Marauders, X-men, Excalibur

BANNED

E is For Extinction
    Riot at Xavier's
    Gifted
    End of Greys
    Supernovas (and everything that followed in Carey's adjectiveless run)
    Quest For Magik
    Messiah CompleX
    Divided He Stands (the initial Xavier Legacy run up #214)
    Gillen's Uncanny run (not a specific story that stands out)
    Legion Legacy (same as Gillen's run)

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    E is For Extinction
    Riot at Xavier's
    Gifted
    End of Greys
    Quest For Magik
    Messiah CompleX

Omg yeah, Supernovas is like top 10 TPBs I have. But I thought it was too niche to include, and I think it spans many stories?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by four4elements View Post
    Omg yeah, Supernovas is like top 10 TPBs I have. But I thought it was too niche to include, and I think it spans many stories?
    The story arc Supernovas spans X-Men #188-193 but the trade also collects Primary Infection and Condition Critical (#194-199). Blinded By the Light (#200-204) is also fantastic, despite Carey’s team being editorially mandated into oblivion.

I wouldn’t really call Supernovas niche (nor Carey’s run in general). It’s always on the top lists of people who have read more than a handful of X-Men comics.

Incredible Member hedgehogvampire's Avatar

E is For Extinction
    Riot at Xavier's
    Gifted
    End of Greys
    Quest For Magik
    Messiah CompleX
    Gosh dang it! I totally forgot about both Supernovas and Quest For Magik I love those stories!
    My pull list: Sonic the Hedgehog, TMNT, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Marauders, X-men, Excalibur

oh this is a good thread. So much goodness prior to that but I have to give some props to some sorts post 2000

1. Messiah War
    2. The Rise and Fall Of the Shi'ar Empire

Those are definitely my top 2. The remaining 8 are in no particular order.

3. World War Hulk -X-Men
    4. Supernovas
    5. Planet X even with the Magneto Character Assassination. The final page of the first issue of the story gave me the last "oh crap" moment I've had.
    6. End Of Greys
    7. House Of M
    8. Second Coming
    9. Dark Angel Saga
    10. Eve Of Destruction - it was in 2001 so it counts. It's the closing chapter to what I call the "new classic" age of comics, encompassing the feel the comics had from the 80s onwards.

Dreams End and Phoenix Resurrection are close behind but I just can't put them top 10.

If we had to include the Ultimate X-Men, Return Of the King would probably make my top 10 but I'm not for sure on that.
    Last edited by Captain Nash; 07-03-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Second Coming
    Childhood’s End —> Nimrod (Childhoods End, Crusade, and Nimrod all act as one huge arc)
    Utopia
    Riot at Xavier’s
    X:Legacy - Legion
    Quest for Magik
    Age of X
    Messiah CompleX
    Supernovas
    Gifted

towards the end of the list the placements are pretty interchangeable. if age of x-man finishes strong, then it will probably hit somewhere in the top 5
    Last edited by Tycon; 07-03-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Not necessarily in order:

E for Extinction
    Riot at Xavier's
    Murder at the Mansion
    Torn
    Gifted
    Messiah CompleX
    Second Coming
    Dark Angel Saga
    Supernovas
    Everything is Sinister

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, though.
    Last edited by Omega Alpha; 07-03-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    ]
    3. World War Hulk -X-Men
    So much respect!!!!!! One of the first things I seeked out to collect, and one of my Crown Jewels here at home

Also, me too on favoriting Planet X and overlooking the flaws. Worth it! I would say, worth it even having to retcon everything lol

Lots of great stories here you have mostly good taste, but Riot at Xaviers? Hell no. Maybe in a top 100.... Right next to Battle of the atom and AVX.

Serious now. What do you guys like a lot about the story? I enjoyed Emma and Scott mind sex but thats it for me.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Supernova
    Age of X
    Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire
    Messiah War
    Childhood’s End
    Second coming
    House of M
    Decided we Stand
    Utopia
    Schism
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

Tricky question - as some of the more "important" are possibly not the highest quality. So these are my view for most important and not best. For best, prob Whedon's Astonishing (mostly) Remender's Uncanny X-Force, the first 50 issues of PAD X-Factor and Mike Carey's pre-Messiah Complex X-Men. And all of Cable and Deadpool.

Warnig - ahead be *opinions*

E is for Extinction was probably the first big moment. It was Morrison starting very strongly on his run, and unfortunately he never really hit those heights again, due to a number of factors. The main one being nobody seemed able to draw more than four consecutive issues of the bloody thing. But as a story this one still holds up now and still seems fresh and exciting.

Planet X was essentially Morrison's swansong (barring a middling alt future story) and erm.... it's not very good. The writer's utter frustration with an unidentified executive (we'll call him Jill Bemas) leads to his uneven run kind of departing with a whimper. On the plus side, Phil Jimenez provides some nice artwork. Historically significant in that it took a major character off the table for a very long time, and caused all that lovely Xorn confusion (not Morrison, I hasten to add who always insisted he left them a perfectly reasonable back door to bring the character back).

My most hated event of all-time, House of M is undoubtedly hugely important, as it effectively hamstrung the line and started the X-Men's descent into obscurity whilst the Avengers became Marvel's top team. Some nice covers on the single issues, Bendis writes a decent Wolverine, but unfortunately he's not great at teams, as displayed here. The pacing was not great at the time, but obviously that will be sorted out in trades. Fortunately there's a lot of nicely written and drawn little moments (and the odd horrific one - Peter Parker deciding that murder is called for etc) which are mostly meaningless, but the series as a whole never worked for me. It lead to Deadly Genesiswhich, believe it or not, was hyped to the absolute moon at the time. Weird in hindsight.

Fortunately, after two years of post House of M stagnation somebody (probably Mike Carey) remembered that the X-Men should maybe do something about it and Endangered Species (Beast does a science tour of the MU) led into Messiah CompleX which was a remarkable success, both creatively and commercially. Helped enormously by a weekly release schedule (the opposite of which really hurt Rise and Fall of the Shiar Empire) this sold a ton and was generally well-received across the board. A year or so later Messiah War ran across a couple of B-titles to reassure everyone that yes, this was all going somewhere and then another year down the line it was Second Comingtime bay-bee!

Second Coming is an odd one, as I like it way more than I probably should. But it felt like it had direction, characters being written well, a sense of threat and a sense of putting the post HoM years behind us. The art was extremely choppy (plagued by Greg Land) and the K&Y issues had the usual killing-of-characters-for-shock-value but overall it's a really good ending to the Messiah trilogy.

After that, Marvel had to remind us what little bitches the X-Men are in Avengers vs X-Men which is probably important in that it changed the status quo of Cyclops quite significantly, led to the short-lived Unity team and Havok doing his ill-advised thing, and then Marvel trying to get even the Inhumans above the X-Men in the importance scale with Death of Xwhich, and I cannot stress this enough, is utter bobbins (as is almost always the case in anything involving the Inhumans). Speaking of which Inhumans vs X-Menis probably reasonably important as well, in that it officially signifies Marvel giving up on pushing the Inhumans and mostly ends the Terrigen Mist plot.

That little lot should cover most bases from 2000 until present day. Hopefully the upcoming Hickman run will get the X-Men back to where they were in 2000-2005, rightly atop the Marvel sales charts!

E is For Extinction
    Riot at Xavier's
    Gifted
    End of Greys
    Quest For Magik
    Messiah CompleX
    This pretty much.

I'd also add Bunn's Magneto run.

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FIGHT View Post
    Lots of great stories here you have mostly good taste, but Riot at Xaviers? Hell no. Maybe in a top 100.... Right next to Battle of the atom and AVX.

Serious now. What do you guys like a lot about the story? I enjoyed Emma and Scott mind sex but thats it for me.
    Nice post

Riot at Xavier's is a frustrating little story. The best bits all happen either before or after the actual Riot, which mostly consists of some hot wax being lobbed out a window and some shouting.

Nice moments - Quentin's cruel demolition job on Slick and his calling out of Xavier's BS. Cyclops sorting out two of the rioters and the chilling scene where Angel happens upon Xorn having just cheerfully massacred a bunch of U-Men, and his later murder of Quire just as he is about to spill the beans.

Poor moments - the actual Riot, the death of Sophie Cuckoo, hitting Xavier with a bat (seriously?) Emma leaning waaaay too heavily on the fourth wall, the underlying point of the story (teenagers are idiots).

I'd have this down as one of Morrison's low points. Lovely art though.