View Poll Results: Rosenberg's finale?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Reveal all/most of the run was a psychic illusion.

7 6.93%
  • Reveal all/most of the run was a dream.

0 0%
  • Reveal all/most of the run was a virtual reality/Danger Room sequence.

2 1.98%
  • Reveal all/most of the run was a non-canon What If? story.

4 3.96%
  • Time travel undoes what happened.

2 1.98%
  • Reality warping undoes what happened.

30 29.70%
  • Someone will use magic/science/mutant powers to heal/resurrect everyone.

15 14.85%
  • Some other kind of retcon (please elaborate).

4 3.96%
  • Nothing is undone. Everything sticks.

37 36.63%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I would be surprised if it sticks that would be kind of amazing
    Amazing in the sense that he basically had the balls to have an entire run where he had nothing to actually say, brake nearly every one of the toys that were left in the toy box, light the house on fire, flip off the reader and walk away to leave Hickman to clean up his mess.

I think Hickman was writing his scripts before any of this, so he probably has little to actually clean up. It’s on Rosenberg and the others to write in a way that leads into his works.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I think Hickman was writing his scripts before any of this, so he probably has little to actually clean up. It’s on Rosenberg and the others to write in a way that leads into his works.
    Yeah, JDW already told us that Hickman was hired way before they even planned Disassembled. Then, they planned out Age of X-Man and Cyclops, Wolverine, and a couple of X-Men were the leftovers so Rosenberg pitched his story.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Amazing in the sense that he basically had the balls to have an entire run where he had nothing to actually say, brake nearly every one of the toys that were left in the toy box, light the house on fire, flip off the reader and walk away to leave Hickman to clean up his mess.
    Why are you assuming some of the mess isn't Hickman fault? The compression of this story is because of Hickman run is coming. The end point of this story had to be okay by Hickman or Hickman set up condition for the world to be in. Rosenberg is writing a bad story mostly but it is against the backdrop hey my story( and longterm storylines) is going to be wipe out by Hickman change status quo. Imagine set up long term plotlines in Dark souls,Multiple Man and Astonishing only to have them be wiped out if you don't tell them in the next couple months. Sure don't let Rosenberg off hook for writing a bad story BUT don't ignore they are x-factors that are out of his control which influence his story.

Why are you assuming some of the mess isn't Hickman fault? The compression of this story is because of Hickman run is coming. The end point of this story had to be okay by Hickman or Hickman set up condition for the world to be in. Rosenberg is writing a bad story mostly but it is against the backdrop hey my story( and longterm storylines) is going to be wipe out by Hickman change status quo. Imagine set up long term plotlines in Dark souls,Multiple Man and Astonishing only to have them be wiped out if you don't tell them in the next couple months. Sure don't let Rosenberg off hook for writing a bad story BUT don't ignore they are x-factors that are out of his control which influence his story.
    Even if Hickman has some of the blame for why the story at hand is rushed, that's only part of the problem with this run. No amount of pacing could have made the fact that he wrote numerous characters horribly, had plot beats that basically screamed lack of research and the completely needless body count that only grew by the issue. Unless he has some grand plan with cleaning up this mess, he's not putting the toys back in the box for the next writer, he's breaking them and leaving them on the floor. He's responsible for that mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Even if Hickman has some of the blame for why the story at hand is rushed, that's only part of the problem with this run. No amount of pacing could have made the fact that he wrote numerous characters horribly, had plot beats that basically screamed lack of research and the completely needless body count that only grew by the issue. Unless he has some grand plan with cleaning up this mess, he's not putting the toys back in the box for the next writer, he's breaking them and leaving them on the floor. He's responsible for that mess.
    The other thing is, Rosenberg isn't a newb and he knew the situation. It was his choice to try and do a heavily connected, multi-part story wrapping up loose ends from multiple titles through multiple titles while there was a bush-tiller headed for the franchise. If he sticks the landing, great. But if he can't pull it off, that's still on him.

When you have a maxi-series worth of issues (and a TRIPLE sized #11), your pacing issues are probably the fault of your outlining.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    The other thing is, Rosenberg isn't a newb and he knew the situation. It was his choice to try and do a heavily connected, multi-part story wrapping up loose ends from multiple titles through multiple titles while there was a bush-tiller headed for the franchise. If he sticks the landing, great. But if he can't pull it off, that's still on him.
    He deserves the blame for not writing a good book nobody is denying that but what needs to be noted was not a easy assignment. I think with proper context people will be a just a tad more forgiven I think. It seems he is writing" the last X-men or last days of the X-men story" with understanding that everything he writes won't stick. He got to write a X-men book where multiple characters actually got to die,something that does not happen often because companies are protective of their properties. So far this seems like one of these stories where everyone dies and time travel or other plot device reset everything. With that context his whole run probably doesn't matter and all the characters dying don't mean anything just like Twilight final battle

He is not going to stick the landing for fans here let's not even pretend that is going to happen but he is writing story that doesn't matter because Hickman is clean slating the X-men franchise. So fans feeling ultimately don't matter good or bad it wasn't carrying over. He wrote Dark Souls,Multiple man and Astonishing well so we know he can write but tying those plots to this story was probably the big mistake but I don't blame for closing out his plots before the franchise complete changes and wipes his stories. I mean for example someone put in a long term plotline about a mutant not really being a mutant and we honestly are never going to see it. Age of X-man books and Uncanny X-men were lame duck books especially when Hickman announcement hit. They were lame duck books in the fact Hickman is changing the style of the X-men and certain storytelling styles might not be viable anymore. He wrote a bad story but anybody in this situation would have had a tough time.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 07-04-2019 at 01:55 AM.

"Not with a bang but a whimper."

He deserves the blame for not writing a good book nobody is denying that but what needs to be noted was not a easy assignment. I think with proper context people will be a just a tad more forgiven I think. It seems he is writing" the last X-men or last days of the X-men story" with understanding that everything he writes won't stick. He got to write a X-men book where multiple characters actually got to die,something that does not happen often because companies are protective of their properties. So far this seems like one of these stories where everyone dies and time travel or other plot device reset everything. With that context his whole run probably doesn't matter and all the characters dying don't mean anything just like Twilight final battle

He is not going to stick the landing for fans here let's not even pretend that is going to happen but he is writing story that doesn't matter because Hickman is clean slating the X-men franchise. So fans feeling ultimately don't matter good or bad it wasn't carrying over. He wrote Dark Souls,Multiple man and Astonishing well so we know he can write but tying those plots to this story was probably the big mistake but I don't blame for closing out his plots before the franchise complete changes and wipes his stories. I mean for example someone put in a long term plotline about a mutant not really being a mutant and we honestly are never going to see it. Age of X-man books and Uncanny X-men were lame duck books especially when Hickman announcement hit. They were lame duck books in the fact Hickman is changing the style of the X-men and certain storytelling styles might not be viable anymore. He wrote a bad story but anybody in this situation would have had a tough time.
    It's a waste of time, he knows its a waste of time, and is thus wasting the reader's time... ain't exactly a great defense. Knowing that Hickman's run was coming doesn't matter. He could have chosen to handwave a couple of his dangling plot points in service of the story he was currently telling. He could have chosen to cram fewer story beats into this book and tried to build some emotional resonance among the characters he did have to work with instead of racking up a comically high kill count.

The situation is certainly beyond Rosenberg's control. The story choices aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    It's a waste of time, he knows its a waste of time, and is thus wasting the reader's time... ain't exactly a great defense. Knowing that Hickman's run was coming doesn't matter. He could have chosen to handwave a couple of his dangling plot points in service of the story he was currently telling. He could have chosen to cram fewer story beats into this book and tried to build some emotional resonance among the characters he did have to work with instead of racking up a comically high kill count.

The situation is certainly beyond Rosenberg's control. The story choices aren't.
    Just to be clear I am agreeing with you. I just think atmosphere with Hickman run coming up kills any meaningful story from being a possible. Yes you should blame Rosenberg for tying in his old plotlines,Yes you should blame for over use of deaths but I just think more of picture of what his run is trying to do I think the even the best writers would struggle. He was trying create a story that matters and was big in environment that does not matter. Like I said if he got the majority to believe the deaths are permanent he would have succeed but he couldn't find the right balance of characters dying and he jumble too much villains and plotline in the pot. I agree with you guys it was bad what I am saying it is not easy task. He could have written a safe story but he swung big and missed big.

I will say though that if everything is reset, That means every villian that has been book is available to Hickman and other writers going forward.Just something to think about.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 07-04-2019 at 03:27 AM.

Astonishing Member

Just to be clear I am agreeing with you. I just think atmosphere with Hickman run coming up kills any meaningful story from being a possible. Yes you should blame Rosenberg for tying in his old plotlines,Yes you should blame for over use of deaths but I just think more of picture of what his run is trying to do I think the even the best writers would struggle. He was trying create a story that matters and was big in environment that does not matter. Like I said if he got the majority to believe the deaths are permanent he would have succeed but he couldn't find the right balance of characters dying and he jumble too much villains and plotline in the pot. I agree with you guys it was bad what I am saying it is not easy task. He could have written a safe story but he swung big and missed big.

I will say though that if everything is reset, That means every villian that has been book is available to Hickman and other writers going forward.Just something to think about.
    thats good, but an explanation for why they are alive would have been nice

I’ll be ready to put my clown shoes on when Omega and Uncanny are completely unrelated and we’re just supposed to assume everyone reunited offpanel.

My first reaction to reading the title is "Bad", beyond that I have no idea.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Yeah, I've got to go with the notion of the run's endgame maybe not being all Rosenberg. Obviously, complaints about the execution are 100% fair game, but we won't know until AoXM Omega/HoX/PoX hit the stands.