Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Protection from vengeful gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Protection from vengeful gods.
    Couldn't there be a way for the Amazons who did get the sons to contact with them. Maybe the mind radio could be created. That Hippoltya and the other elites were trying to find ways to make it impossible for Hera and other Gods to know. Which is why they created the mind radio.

Yeah, I always liked the old Mental Radio. It was really the first Cerebro long before X-Men!

Yea i Just don't want Hippoltya to just keep this secret from the Amazons who loved their sons. I mean wouldn't many question where their sons would go before giving them up? How would Hippoltya assure her Amazons that their sons will be okay and they will be able to keep in contact soon

Maybe Hippolyte uses the Mental Radio to be Cerebro-Like and alter the Amazon memories, making them forget their sons.

How about this due to a issue raising. Hippolyta has to gather all the Amazons even herself. Tell them the truth and that for now they have to forget their sons. That Hera would kill the sons because they aren’t under the same protection has they thought. So for a bit the Amazons can’t remember. Like Hera found the island and doesn’t know what it is. She just sees a few kids. However, it shouldn’t be something that would be crazy but long enough to hurt the boys and their mothers.

I'm curious is Hera or Zeus found there were boys on or near the Island what should happen?

Personally I’m not a fan of the Amazons having natural children, but even if we go that route... their patrons include Artemis, often a goddess of childbirth and the patron of young women and girls, as well as Hera, protector of women... it’s entirely possible that they are blessed by the gods to only have girl babies. It’s also entirely possible that the Amazons themselves worked magic to enchant the island for that purpose.

There are better ways to explain the lack of men though that avoids this messy issue altogether. Like making the Amazons immortal and not needing to bring new members into their ranks (making Diana special), having chosen women who die in Man’s World brought to Themyscira upon their deaths, etc., even a way of making unwanted girl babies arrive there for the Amazons to raise ( this would obviously change Diana’s origin)... I just don’t think this concept adds anything to their story and distracts from the whole point in a lot of ways to make the Amazons more morally nuanced (there are better ways to do this too!) for discarding children with the “wrong parts.” It’s just an odd (and often needlessly alienating) direction to go with them.

There’s another whole can of worms to open with this but I’ll leave it at that.
    Last edited by Circe; 07-19-2019 at 04:29 AM.

Like making the Amazons immortal and not needing to bring new members into their ranks
    That's my preferred.

even a way of making unwanted girl babies arrive there for the Amazons to raise
    The thing is, then I always would always wonder how they chose which unwanted girl babies, because the world is big and there are so very many, and only a tiny fraction off them could end up there without the population ballooning enormously. And that's before you get into the discriminatory nature of not rescuing any unwanted boy babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    That's my preferred.

The thing is, then I always would always wonder how they chose which unwanted girl babies, because the world is big and there are so very many, and only a tiny fraction off them could end up there without the population ballooning enormously. And that's before you get into the discriminatory nature of not rescuing any unwanted boy babies.
    Yeah, that’s why I think it’s best to avoid these concepts altogether because all that happens is you raise more questions. In this case I think the simple answer is the best one because every other answer is over complex and needs to be explained more than once. And not to mention paints the Amazons as cruel regardless. I think the whole “we’re apart from man’s world” concept gets messy when you introduce this stuff. Too many ways to undermine the whole point of the Amazons which is ultimately Diana.

Why not only have it be the Amazons who had kids? That those kids get reborn? It’s not that the Amazons don’t want to help unwanted daughter it’s just due to the nature of the Island it would be to dangerous. Hippolyta came to Artemis and asked Artemis for this favor. She did it for her Amazons not knowing she would get a daughter also.

It shouldn’t be something that happens often. It factor maybe once. Artemis grants this wish and children are on the island. The children they thought were lost.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 07-19-2019 at 07:47 AM.

Greek mythology is a complicated mess full of body horror monstrosities and encounters with the supernatural going horribly wrong. Themyscira is that world being brought into contemporary times. "Paradise Island" as a phrase should be treated with sarcasm.

I prefer the home of the Amazons to be difficult. Civilization is not a gift from the gods.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Greek mythology is a complicated mess full of body horror monstrosities and encounters with the supernatural going horribly wrong. Themyscira is that world being brought into contemporary times. "Paradise Island" as a phrase should be treated with sarcasm.

I prefer the home of the Amazons to be difficult. Civilization is not a gift from the gods.
    I can't agree entirely. Maybe it should have once been difficult, but they made it Paradise through their own efforts. But it should be a good place. Not a cess pit that the developed part of "man's world" looks on with pity or derision. Something with lessons worth bringing to the outside world. I'm really tired of all "other" civilizations being terrible and immoral. Thanagar, then Rann (with the retconning of Sardath), the Kryptonians, the Atlantians, the Amazons. All have been written as either invaders of others (often main Earth, United States) or ruled by despots and worth toppling. Nowhere else is ever good, anymore, it seems like.

Maybe this it’s a paradise but the Amazons has to fight creature not even the gods knew about. Athena and a few other female gods use to hang out here. But due to a tension when Aphrodite got jealous they somewhat abandoned it. It was a paradise island. Now it’s a mess of Goddess rath. So the Amazons locked it away and began making their own paradise island. Using the Greek myth. It would be the one where something happened with the blacksmith god and he tried to attack Athena. The wya it’s written it seems something took over him

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I can't agree entirely. Maybe it should have once been difficult, but they made it Paradise through their own efforts. But it should be a good place. Not a cess pit that the developed part of "man's world" looks on with pity or derision. Something with lessons worth bringing to the outside world. I'm really tired of all "other" civilizations being terrible and immoral. Thanagar, then Rann (with the retconning of Sardath), the Kryptonians, the Atlantians, the Amazons. All have been written as either invaders of others (often main Earth, United States) or ruled by despots and worth toppling. Nowhere else is ever good, anymore, it seems like.
    What I didn't say is Amazonian civilization is terrible and immoral. I didn't call it a cess pit, ruled by a despot, or worth toppling.

I said the home should be difficult, like anything worth fighting for, creating, and preserving.

I do not want a clean, sunny world where Amazons are not expected to make sacrifices or hard choices. If there are a heroic people, they should be prepared and willing to make those choices and sacrifices in the face of adversity. Not all sacrifices are life or death. Some are happiness and peace. Some are love and duty. Some are fear and immortality.