Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I agree that the Island should be dangerous to males. At nightfall males will turn into creatures. Unless the Amazons gave any of the males their blessing by giving them bracelets. There are several different bracelets. It terms of protecting the Amazons is it something the Amazons can control or more divine? I don't know I feel it can go both ways. That the Amazons created a pocket dimensions and found a way to control who comes in the Island. Why be harmful to men maybe the Amazons in their angry did it or maybe someone like Hera did it so Zeus can never enter the Island.
    Sounds like the Lost Woods from the Legend of Zelda. If you don't have a fairy with you, you're transformed into a skull-kid. Pretty neat idea. You need an Amazonian's permission to be anywhere near the island as a man.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 07-05-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Now it terms of why a man can turn into a monsters is simple because of the fact many of the men killed them. I also feel that many of the Amazons should also feel sadness.Because of the fact they weren't a female only society. Hercules killed all of their men. So maybe it's a double edge sword. They yes this shield they made protects them by also is feeding off the sons, and husbands they lost. Now if there was a children who were males joined it goes the same way they still need blessing

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

The more I consider it, the less accepting I am of the New 52 demigoddess origin. I definitely think a return to the clay sculpture given life origin for Diana. For other girls, I'd have three different ways:

Rescue - rare, and Donna is the most recent example. Amazonian technology fused with magic turns gifts them with the same abilities and longevity that the Amazons possess
    The Gods sometimes take women and girls who have died violent deaths and give them new life as infant Amazons - Given how few still believe in the Greek/Roman pantheon, it would also be rare.

I like the idea of the island being inherently dangerous/deadly for males. However, I'd handle it as follows: Due to what happened with Hercules & his army centuries ago, the island is mystically cursed as far as men are concerned. The Amazonian equivalent of Congress would have to have at least 2/3 or 3/4 of its body approve of granting a man permission to set foot on the island. Without such permission, only an actual god like Zeus or Ares can set foot on the island at will. Any man without such protection would grow sick and die within a few hours, but children under 15 would not be subject to the curse. Very few men are given such dispensation, with only three living men currently having such permission: Clark, J'onn, & Bruce. The vote for Clark & J'onn was nearly unanimous, but there was more dissent about Bruce. Naturally, the curse is literal. A man can hover an inch above the ground all day, so long as he doesn't land. The only men under consideration at this time would Dick, Barry, & Jon.

I actually think it would be funny if the Island was also affecting male gods. I mean Ares is a god and generally he is a villain. What if they cursed the Island to keep Ares from ever leaving to go the outside world? That they ever if some Amazons don't hate men. I willing to give up having families in order to Stop Ares. Since he is a God this curse should affect all of them
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 07-05-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    The more I consider it, the less accepting I am of the New 52 demigoddess origin. I definitely think a return to the clay sculpture given life origin for Diana. For other girls, I'd have three different ways:

Rescue - rare, and Donna is the most recent example. Amazonian technology fused with magic turns gifts them with the same abilities and longevity that the Amazons possess
    The Gods sometimes take women and girls who have died violent deaths and give them new life as infant Amazons - Given how few still believe in the Greek/Roman pantheon, it would also be rare.

I like the idea of the island being inherently dangerous/deadly for males. However, I'd handle it as follows: Due to what happened with Hercules & his army centuries ago, the island is mystically cursed as far as men are concerned. The Amazonian equivalent of Congress would have to have at least 2/3 or 3/4 of its body approve of granting a man permission to set foot on the island. Without such permission, only an actual god like Zeus or Ares can set foot on the island at will. Any man without such protection would grow sick and die within a few hours, but children under 15 would not be subject to the curse. Very few men are given such dispensation, with only three living men currently having such permission: Clark, J'onn, & Bruce. The vote for Clark & J'onn was nearly unanimous, but there was more dissent about Bruce. Naturally, the curse is literal. A man can hover an inch above the ground all day, so long as he doesn't land. The only men under consideration at this time would Dick, Barry, & Jon.
    What about Steve though? He kind of crash lands on the island, means no harm, and becomes a great ally for the Amazons as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post

Just curious, why is Manhunter exempt? Also, I personally think Batman should’ve been a very conflicted trial/debate, but they end up not giving him a pass. I think it says more about their caution and Batman’s self image.

If we are to have Jason I rather it be because Hippoltya had to or risk her son dying due to the curse. However, i do feel she should find a way to keep in contact. Two their father isn't Zeus

On the male curse thing; perhaps have infants up to small children exempt up to a certain age, that way innocents don't suffer a horrific fate outside of their control?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    What about Steve though? He kind of crash lands on the island, means no harm, and becomes a great ally for the Amazons as a whole.
    Well, I like my fantasy-inspired comics to have a bit of unanswered mystery. Steve doesn’t die from magical island pollen simply because Diana doesn’t want him to. She rescued him, dragged him to the beach, and resuscitated him. Her unspoken wish for him to live protects him from the curses that would kill other men. His continued presence on the island is a mystery to all Amazonian study. Sone Amazons think the anti-male spell is broken. Some think it means the gods are dead. Some think the Amazons will be invaded by men. Some see it as a sign they’ve lost the gods’ favor.

I’m a fan of the demigoddess origin.

We can still due the Demi goddess origin with out dealing with Zeus. Many other times it's hinted Hippoltya is a demi goddess. I mean wouldn't a easy way is due to the fact Hippoltya as the girdle on often. She is in a sense one? That due to many years she has found a way to absorb that power? I did that would be cool. She found a way to tap into that magic and become win with it. Yes anyone who is wears it become strong but Hippoltya found a way to already become stronger with out it

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Well, I like my fantasy-inspired comics to have a bit of unanswered mystery. Steve doesn’t die from magical island pollen simply because Diana doesn’t want him to. She rescued him, dragged him to the beach, and resuscitated him. Her unspoken wish for him to live protects him from the curses that would kill other men. His continued presence on the island is a mystery to all Amazonian study. Sone Amazons think the anti-male spell is broken. Some think it means the gods are dead. Some think the Amazons will be invaded by men. Some see it as a sign they’ve lost the gods’ favor.

I’m a fan of the demigoddess origin.
    What if the fact many men haven't be able to pass the first test? That it's been a while since any man has tried to reach the Island? That there are three stages to pass before you even get to the Island? I think this test should also apply to women. I mean they have default with Circe and a few other women in the pass. How should the Amazons treat evil women too? I think the curse should apply to them to. Why shouldn't the spell work on male gods? I mean Zeus is someone the Amazons wouldn't want.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    On the male curse thing; perhaps have infants up to small children exempt up to a certain age, that way innocents don't suffer a horrific fate outside of their control?
    What age would work? I also think the elderly should also be exempted unless it's proved other wins.

I don't like the idea of Themyscira being cursed for men. First in that it invites far more background complexity—how to explain stallions, bulls, or roosters. But more critically it reduces the agency of the Amazons. How they react to a man appearing on the island through no fault of their own (like Steve Trevor) or an invasion party will both be fundamentally shaped and made similar through such a curse, instead of being solely a political choice and decision made by the Amazons themselves.

There is a fundamental difference between the statements that Themyscira is unsafe for men and a safe space for women because of a curse, and that Themyscira is forbidden for men and a safe space for women because the Amazons choose to have it that way.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

True. How about this than. The amazons did due a curse but only works for people who have evil tensions? The curse was for both men and women but throughout out the years they have mostly seem men be to be affected. However, when Steve got there he was noble and many amazons couldn't expect that. It is unsafe for men because any man who has evil tensions will turn into the monster they are. But if they have not that tensions they will find the Island. I will say evil women should also be the same. Circe or Cheetah can't stop the curse.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    We can still due the Demi goddess origin with out dealing with Zeus. Many other times it's hinted Hippoltya is a demi goddess. I mean wouldn't a easy way is due to the fact Hippoltya as the girdle on often. She is in a sense one? That due to many years she has found a way to absorb that power? I did that would be cool. She found a way to tap into that magic and become win with it. Yes anyone who is wears it become strong but Hippoltya found a way to already become stronger with out it
    Yes, case in point: in the Captain Marvel/Shazam world, Hippolyte lends Mart Marvel her strength. Why no mention of that in WW?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes, case in point: in the Captain Marvel/Shazam world, Hippolyte lends Mart Marvel her strength. Why no mention of that in WW?
    Because on a WW writer’s laziest day, they’re not a fraction of the laziness that inspired Captain Marvel/Shazam’s origin. CM/S was always for the kids, so I don’t hate them for moving quickly and making sloppy choices. WW is an intellectual response in the form of a superhero, so I’m going to request a lot more educated, nuanced, and complicated world-building.

I prefer an educated, nuanced, complicated and ultimately human Queen Hippolyte.