Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Default A new team debuted this week, with MAJOR Superman deep-cuts (minor spoilers)

Making their collective first (and likely only partial - though I also sadly wouldn't be surprised if it was sole) appearance in Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp's The Green Lantern #9, the Superwatch - a division of the United Planets, so presumably this is set a little after where Bendis is at in Superman right now - are a collection of superheroes from assorted worlds apparently tasked with defending Sector 2814 if not beyond, with their home base on Kranaltine of Starman lore. The Justice League of space essentially, Odyssey notwithstanding. And rather than a new group, it's made up entirely of existing characters, largely Silver Age deep cuts of superheroes from other worlds. Adventures In Poor Taste has a rundown of most of them and almost all of them are from various Superman or Superman-associated stories. A few are particularly notable: along with well-known space hero standbys Maxima and Vartox, we have Luma Lynai from the infamous "Superman's Super-Courtship!", the original 'older brother' to Superman Halk Kar who would plainly be the model for the later better-known Mon-El, and the tragic Hyperman of Oceania who appears to have either survived or returned to life in the current history of the DCU.

This feels like something that's belonged in the DCU's cosmic sphere forever - Wonderworld fulfilled a similar role but it was never meant to last - and while I get the feeling this is going to be another undeservedly doomed attempt at introducing a prefab new team on Morrison's part alongside the Ultramarines and Cometeers, I really hope these folks somehow manage to stick around like Justice Incarnate have.
    Buh-bye

Retired

You mean there's Super-Men and Super-Women of All Planets like what we saw in "Prisoner of the Super-Heroes" from ADVENTURE COMICS No. 267 (December 1959)?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    You mean there's Super-Men and Super-Women of All Planets like what we saw in "Prisoner of the Super-Heroes" from ADVENTURE COMICS No. 267 (December 1959)?
    I still love your thread, Jim Kelly.

This team is a waste of perfectly good heroes.

I hate that they were brought back to be killed.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.