Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Polygon's Spider-Man Top Ten

Polygon has a list of their ten favorite Spider-Man comics.

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2019/...-comics-marvel

One thing that I find interesting is figuring out what pops up on multiple lists, just because it suggests a consensus. This one's got Back in Black, Spider-Verse, Spider-Men and "A Death in the Family" suggesting these have become major arcs for the character.

Though there are some major issues of disagreement, and some of the obvious choices are missing.

They also have a few stories I haven't seen anyone consider top ten material before.

What do you guys think?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

This list is actually pretty great! But, I kind of wish they had just said "top ten favorite modern Spidey stories". That said, "A Death in the Family" is one of my favorites, and I loved the recent "Marvel Team-up" book!

BANNED

Not sure about consensus. This feels like a personal list put out by the author, Preeti Chhibber who the byline lists as "a YA author, speaker, freelance writer, and Spider-Man enthusiast. She has written for SYFY, BookRiot, and The Nerds of Color, among others. Her short story, “Girls Who Twirl and Other Dangers” was published in the anthology A Thousand Beginnings and Endings (HarperCollins, 2018), and her first book, Peter and Ned’s Ultimate Travel Journal came out this year (Marvel Press, 2019)."

The latter book (https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Pe.../dp/1368046983) is a MCU Tie-In. So she's writing MCU transmedia and providing a list of what was likely reference material put out by marketing/executive/creative.

Since it's a personal list, it's fine for what it is. The only story before the 21st Century is ASM #31-33.

Pretty interesting that The Night Gwen Stacy Died isn't here. Probably the first top 10 list where that story doesn't come up that I remember reading. I suppose that's fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Not sure about consensus. This feels like a personal list put out by the author, Preeti Chhibber who the byline lists as "a YA author, speaker, freelance writer, and Spider-Man enthusiast. She has written for SYFY, BookRiot, and The Nerds of Color, among others. Her short story, “Girls Who Twirl and Other Dangers” was published in the anthology A Thousand Beginnings and Endings (HarperCollins, 2018), and her first book, Peter and Ned’s Ultimate Travel Journal came out this year (Marvel Press, 2019)."

The latter book (https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Pe.../dp/1368046983) is a MCU Tie-In. So she's writing MCU transmedia and providing a list of what was likely reference material put out by marketing/executive/creative.

Since it's a personal list, it's fine for what it is. The only story before the 21st Century is ASM #31-33.

Pretty interesting that The Night Gwen Stacy Died isn't here. Probably the first top 10 list where that story doesn't come up that I remember reading. I suppose that's fair.
    Why do you overanalyze everything? Really?

Astonishing Member

Have to be honest, think it's a weak list. Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #308-309 over the classic that followed in Finale?

Always found the original Spider-Verse overrated.

The Night Gwen Stacy died and Amazing Fantasy #15 isn't there. Unusual omissions in Spidey best-offs but the OP has a right to her opinion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Why do you overanalyze everything? Really?
    I would have written something shorter, but I didn't have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I would have written something shorter, but I didn't have the time.
    That makes no sense. But okay.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Have to be honest, think it's a weak list. Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #308-309 over the classic that followed in Finale?

Always found the original Spider-Verse overrated.

The Night Gwen Stacy died and Amazing Fantasy #15 isn't there. Unusual omissions in Spidey best-offs but the OP has a right to her opinion.
    What I find interesting is NOT what is in the list, but what isn't. Obviously ASM 121-122 and Amazing Fantasy 15 should be on any list, but where is ASM 248 ( The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man)? I will also note the lack of Dan Slott stories in this list. Think about it. If the entire list except the Master Planner Saga consists of 21st Century stories and Slott wrote for a decade, what does it say about his stories? I do not know if it was intentional, but it is yet another indictment of his time writing Spider-Man..

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I will also note the lack of Dan Slott stories in this list.
    Spider-Verse is by Slott.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    What I find interesting is NOT what is in the list, but what isn't. Obviously ASM 121-122 and Amazing Fantasy 15 should be on any list, but where is ASM 248 ( The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man)? I will also note the lack of Dan Slott stories in this list. Think about it. If the entire list except the Master Planner Saga consists of 21st Century stories and Slott wrote for a decade, what does it say about his stories? I do not know if it was intentional, but it is yet another indictment of his time writing Spider-Man..
    there are 5 recommended slott stories imao
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    there are 5 recommended slott stories imao
    The key word is recommended. Again only one story made the list.

Astonishing Member

No 'Kraven's Last Hunt', no 'Sin-Eater', no 'Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut', no 'The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man', no Spec (vol 1) #200 (death of Harry), no ASM#400 (death of Aunt May), no ASM#300 (first Venom), no 'Ultimate Spider-Man' #8-10 Kingpin arc, no ASM (Vol 2) #50 (Doomed Affairs), no 'The Night Gwen Stacy Died'??

This list is garbage. There's only one story from before 2000. And more than half are from post-2013 or so. Plus, some choices are awful like the new Marvel Team-Up in which the Warren Jackal is suddenly alive again with zero explanation.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    No 'Kraven's Last Hunt', no 'Sin-Eater', no 'Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut', no 'The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man', no Spec (vol 1) #200 (death of Harry), no ASM#400 (death of Aunt May), no ASM#300 (first Venom), no 'Ultimate Spider-Man' #8-10 Kingpin arc, no ASM (Vol 2) #50 (Doomed Affairs), no 'The Night Gwen Stacy Died'??

This list is garbage. There's only one story from before 2000. And more than half are from post-2013 or so. Plus, some choices are awful like the new Marvel Team-Up in which the Warren Jackal is suddenly alive again with zero explanation.
    I only liked it for the interplay between Spider-Man and Ms. Marvel when they got stuck in each other's bodies and lives, though the ending pretty much reset what could have been some wonderful character development and exploration. That said, Warren coming back with no explanation broke my suspension of disbelief, too. And yes, it is annoying that with the breadth and depth of archival knowledge available now, a lot of contemporary comics critics and reviewers seem to only be interested in or have read the last decade's worth of stories. Granted, it's not like comics were such a mainstream cultural thing until the revolutionary period of the 2000s, but still.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I only liked it for the interplay between Spider-Man and Ms. Marvel when they got stuck in each other's bodies and lives, though the ending pretty much reset what could have been some wonderful character development and exploration. That said, Warren coming back with no explanation broke my suspension of disbelief, too. And yes, it is annoying that with the breadth and depth of archival knowledge available now, a lot of contemporary comics critics and reviewers seem to only be interested in or have read the last decade's worth of stories. Granted, it's not like comics were such a mainstream cultural thing until the revolutionary period of the 2000s, but still.
    Sad to say ignoring history and context is not just related to comic books. It seems more and more people choose to dismiss history for their own personal preferences even if it makes them look ignorant. For example: I have heard sports critics like Stephen A. Smith actually suggest throwing out records of Babe Ruth because he did not face minority pitchers ( ignoring the fact that less then 10 minority pitchers have made the Hall of Fame based on their MLB accomplishments). Taking this to Spider-Man I do not understand the reasoning behind the list. But I cannot take any list seriously that ranks a recent Team-Up over classic issues whose quality have stood the test of time, anymore then I can rank Aaron Judge in rightfield over Babe Ruth.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post

How is it garbage if it's the author's personal opinions?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)