Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Which characters have outgrown the X-men and deserve to move on?

The question speaks for itself. Who should move on and shine within the rest of the Marvel Universe?

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

I would say all characters who were treated better in books outside of it.

• Storm
    • Cyclops
    • Emma
    • Sabretooth

These are the first that come to mind. All of whom had better runs in outsides books than anything in the X-books recently.

• Black Panther
    • Champions
    • Jessica Jones
    • Iron Fist / Black Widow

Respectively
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 07-04-2019 at 11:01 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Triniking

10char
    "Cable was right!"

I always thought X-23 really didn't fit well with them, at least past her X-force era.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    I always thought X-23 really didn't fit well with them, at least past her X-force era.
    Considering how she's been used with the X-Men of late I'm finding it hard to argue against this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Considering how she's been used with the X-Men of late I'm finding it hard to argue against this.
    You say this now until she ends up in space depowered and turned into a venom clone calling herself madam claw or even worse turned into Johnny Storms arm piece.

Cecilia Reyes
    Loa
    Dust
    Mercury (she would be a GREAT Avenger)
    Hellion
    Goldballs
    Hijack

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    I would say all characters who were treated better in books outside of it.

Storm
    Cyclops
    Emma
    Sabretooth

These are the first that come to mind. lol All of whom had better runs in outsides books than anything in the X-books recently.
    You think so? I feel like Cyclops' entire life is the X-Men. He is the one characte the franchise has a believable lock on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    You think so? I feel like Cyclops' entire life is the X-Men. He is the one character the franchise has a believable lock on.
    I mainly put him given word from his fans. Right now, he's back on Uncanny where he's treated as the man who just ruins everyone's life and is never right. But hearsay says he's much more confident & better handled in Champions than he is in Rosenberg's Uncanny. And given the X-Office track record, I could easily believe that.

sunfire is fire namor and this silly franchise doesn't even realize it, to the avengers he goes

boom-boom would fucks with the gotg so hard
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

I odn't think any X-person has outgrown the X-men, but there a quite a few I'd like to see not be completely tapered by the franchise.

Like I'd have no problem with magik just hanging out with Mystic marvel for a couple years.

Domino could legit have a not insignificant run with Black Widow's Spec Ops

I mainly put him given word from his fans. Right now, he's back on Uncanny where he's treated as the man who just ruins everyone's life and is never right. But hearsay says he's much more confident & better handled in Champions than he is in Rosenberg's Uncanny. And given the X-Office track record, I could easily believe that.
    That probably speaks more about the state of the X-books currently than whether or not ANY character has outgrown the X-Men. As it currently stands, I'll let Gary Oldman run down the list of characters who would be better off in books outside the X-office.

I'm hoping things look better after Hickman's run.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    That probably speaks more about the state of the X-books currently than whether or not ANY character has outgrown the X-Men. As it currently stands, I'll let Gary Oldman run down the list of characters who would be better off in books outside the X-office.

I'm hoping things look better after Hickman's run.
    I can agree, but sadly with the X-Office, there's just some characters they won't ever do good by. Because they don't see the appeal of said characters & don't care.

On another forum. Less active than here, so I am only occasionally there. The War of Realms lead to a topic about Creed's villain status, and someone made this post about how to go about making him work again.
    Quote Originally Posted by InsipidLust
    If they want to make Sabretooth work again, they need to move him into Marvel’s street level titles and play up his psychopathy and murderous competence. He really doesn’t fit in an X-Men universe where logically speaking on the strength of powers and training alone, probably 60—75 percent of characters could mangle him as a matter of light work.

Put Sabretooth in Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Spider-Man or something and he can shine easily. Make him an adversary of Storm, Jean Grey, Psylocke as she is now, Polaris, and hell even people like Surge, Hellion, Armor and pretty much a team full of people whose powers have grown (and sometimes their competence, though the X-Men are often big morons despite years of experience) and what can we expect?

Sabretooth is a product of his time, existing well before decades of power creep. The X-Men have a much different order of concerns than anything that should be of any real consequence to someone like Sabes at this point anyway, since his beat should really be more along the lines of crime, money and murder and theirs tends to be “what are we going to do about today’s horrible state of the world?”

He’s not a bad character. He’s in the wrong place.
    I can agree. it's sad it comes to this, but this is the case for him if he stays with the X-Men. Hickman's scans don't show him in good light either.. Lol

Storm is mostly wallpaper, and if not that, she's been depicted as barely competent. Then she was shown to be a terrible X-Men leader in recent years when that wasn't the case some time ago. Emma was apparently given more depth & noble traits in Jessica Jones, instead of the bi-polar psycho she's been for some years now. In Iron Fist & Black Widow, Creed was actually treated with respect.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 07-04-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Mighty Member

With the correct writer, they could do a really strong series of Champions with Scott as their Mentor Figure.

This page sold me on the idea.

I took the question more to mean in-universe who just doesn’t fit in with the X-Men anymore, not necessarily how they’re being written. The Champions is a teen group about young heroes trying to save the day from real threats. It would be cool to see Cyclops guest star but he would bring the book down, it’s like if Nightwing was always hogging up time with Young Justice or Batman with Teen Titans. They need more youthful energy and vigor.

All of them, but Emma, Storm, Rachel and Bobby come to mind as stand outs