Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Controversial opinion: Superman up in the Sky is better than any of Bendis

This is the best Superman I've read since Jurgens. Even though he still has Superman wearing those garbage ridiculous trunks, the story was good. Dare I say Paul Dini good. No offense to Bendis fans, but we've been through this silver age nostalgia fest for about 7 months, and it ain't working. When Bendis run is over, I hope they bring in Tom King.

“Silver Age nostalgia fest”? I gotta admit I’m a bit confused here man, neither Action nor Superman would fit that term. I did really enjoy Up in the Sky #1 so I wouldn’t at all be opposed to King having a go at one of the main books.

Always Rakzo

Tom King Vs. Brian Bendis.

Whoever wins, we lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post

Whoever wins, we lose.
    Thought I was the only one feeling that way.

Tom King, when it comes to the classic slate of characters, seems to do his best work in stand-alone one-off stuff. Its when he gets an elongated run that things tend to go south fast. So while I've liked the individual Superman works he's done thus far, like the Batman guest appearance and the Action #1000 short, I tend to imagine now that getting an actual run on one of the main Superman titles would end up going the way of Batman or HiC in terms of how he can take characterizations in strange, or to some people outright assassination-level, ways. I mean, even in this particular situation with Up In The Sky, it didn't take till issue #3 for him to go in a distasteful direction.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Bendis' Superman stuff is much stronger than King's.

When I read Bendis on Superman, it feels like I'm reading Superman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post

Whoever wins, we lose.
    This is the only answer.

Astonishing Member

The grass is not always greener on the other side. King has his own issues even with the Superman mythos.

When I read Bendis on Superman, it feels like I'm reading Superman.
    Definitely doesn't feel like I'm reading Lois Lane. Or, really, Superman, either. But especially Lois comes off very badly in Bendis' work to me.

This descends into the Tom King trademarked PTSD/Anxiety storylines more or less, so while I like what he does in the first few issues it gets played out pretty quickly. Plus you have the anxiety attack Lois snuff issue coming up which is probably one of the worst comics put to paper in the last 10 years.

Bendis’ Superman is on the whole far better. His Lois started rough, but is much improved lately as well.

“Better than bendis’s Superman”
    Not exactly high praise.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post

Bendis’ Superman is on the whole far better. His Lois started rough, but is much improved lately as well.
    Yeah it’s been several issues since she’s abandoned any children with mass murdering terrorists. What an improvement!

Yeah it’s been several issues since she’s abandoned any children with mass murdering terrorists. What an improvement!
    There were other things, of course, but that was the take-the-cake moment. My sister was reading, and thought for a moment that she had simply been replaced by a fake Lois. But then, after she and Clark hit the bedroom, figured DC wouldn't have him sleep with a fake Lois. Wondered then if Red Cloud was affecting her emotions, but then that didn't seem to be the case. And Clark was so very okay with the action.

Nothing in Action 1004 is as bad as the Lois chapter in Up in the Sky. I’ll take shaky character actions and the rough start she got under Bendis that led to a solid Lois returned to form over an anxiety attack snuff dream King’s given in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Nothing in Action 1004 is as bad as the Lois chapter in Up in the Sky. I’ll take shaky character actions and the rough start she got under Bendis that led to a solid Lois returned to form over an anxiety attack snuff dream King’s given in this.
    Agree to disagree. I’ll take tasteless shock value over straight up character assassination any day.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Speaking as someone who hasn't been reading Bendis but has been reading the King book, I have to say "meh". Don't know what Bendis is doing exactly, and don't like most of what I've heard about the stories, but I can tell you that King has been hit or miss on some of his stories. Ironically, I find what King is doing way more Silver Agey than anything I've heard Bendis is doing.
    Assassinate Putin!