Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I really, really liked the first issue. The first thing I will say is that visually, I think this is easily my favorite comic of 2019 so far. The art is absolutely gorgeous.

As far as the setup or the story goes, I really am intrigued and think taking Sue further in the spy direction will pay off. I love the nickname "Stormy" that Aidan has for her and really like how confident she was portrayed in herself and her relationship with Reed. This wasn't a Namor situation and she clearly told him that she had a fiance and wasn't able or willing to spend some "private time" with him.

It was also nice that Waid put it into words that the benefit of aging up the kids is that Sue gets to have more freedom as a character. Seeing her interact with both Fury's, her new partner and in the next issue Black Widow should be fun. It's nice to dive into who she is with no one else around that she is usually associated with.

If y’all love the art then y’all just GOT TO check out the most recent 2 volumes of Jessica Jones, written by Kelly Thompson with art by THIS ARTIST. It is beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    If y’all love the art then y’all just GOT TO check out the most recent 2 volumes of Jessica Jones, written by Kelly Thompson with art by THIS ARTIST. It is beautiful!
    The art is phenomenal. It'll be exciting to get 5 consecutive issues with the same artist- so rare these days.

My favorite panel because I find it adorable

Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

A great first issue! Really happy at least part of it takes place in the present.

Spectacular Member markhyperion's Avatar

I haven't read it yet. But art looks great. Before I do (and I may stick a foot in my mouth) I'm going to make a prediction.

The overall bad guy will be.....duh duh duh...Sues partner. And the reference to her having to kill somone will inevitably be called in to question regarding him. Not mad about it. Just predictable. Hope its not that.

Spectacular Member markhyperion's Avatar

Also, I just read three reviews on different sites (non fan reviews). It hasn't been good.

Quote Originally Posted by markhyperion View Post
    Also, I just read three reviews on different sites (non fan reviews). It hasn't been good.
    Yeah. I also read a couple of reviews and from what I have read the general consensus is that the issue wasn't bad, but it wasn't exceptionally good either.

It seems that people think the art direction doesn't lend itself to a spy story and that the composition within the panels doesn't lead the eye and often leads to confusion as to what is actually happening. Some people have also mentioned that they think Waid's writing wasn't particularly strong in this issue.

I liked the issue very much and think it is a typical first issue that does a lot of exposition to catch people up on the character and that lays the grounswork for what is to come.

My experience is that most comic book reviewers are of an exceedingly poor standard. Several of them fail to even be a predictable guide in the form of "if this reviewer dislikes something, I will probably like it".

I took a quick look myself. Art wasn't to my taste, but it's more on my own preferences than the job of the artist. It did a good job at setting up Sue's character and her relation to the spy business—I especially liked the two-page spread about her normal life.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I also noticed that while reviews are mixed, the fans seem to have liked it.

I just hope that future issue really delve into who Sue is and what her personality is outside of her family. We didn't really get much of that in this first issue.

I haven't read it yet. But art looks great. Before I do (and I may stick a foot in my mouth) I'm going to make a prediction.

The overall bad guy will be.....duh duh duh...Sues partner. And the reference to her having to kill somone will inevitably be called in to question regarding him. Not mad about it. Just predictable. Hope its not that.
    That's what I'm predicting too and I really hope that's not the case. It's so cliche and predictably boring.
    Last edited by Crimz; 07-11-2019 at 05:27 AM.

Having slept on it and reread it couple more times, here are some more of my thoughts on the first issue of Invisible Woman book and what I want to see from the remaining issues.

I hope there is more delving into the character and her personality, we got a little of it in this issue but not much. We don't know why she joined SHIELD and her friendship with Aidan hasn't been developed enough to see why she'd risk her life to save him. I hope it will be.

We still haven't seen what her personality is like away from her family and what differences there are. There needs to be some interesting new aspects to Sue that we've never seen before like her sense of humor may be different or she may swear a lot. Things like that.
    ‏There also needs to be more of an emphasis on what makes her skills important and different from Black Widow's outside of her powers. What makes her standout from the other super-spies besides her powers and no killing rule? Hopefully that gets explored in the next issue.
    She also needs an interesting supporting cast to bounce off and show her personality. She will team up with Natasha next issue which will hopefully be interesting, but after that who will she interact with? There needs to be other connections and friends to really show Sue's personality.

Aidan better not be a double agent and the secret villain because that is boring and predictable. Make him a fun and interesting character that can be a friend to Sue so he can hopefully return in future Sue solo books.
    Speaking of villains. I hope they are a new character, interesting, and a real challenge to Sue. The downside of this grounded story is that creating threats to someone as powerful as Sue is difficult so I hope the villain is a credible threat.

Those are my wants from the run after having read the first issue. I like the spy concept, but think Sue is more suited to a more cosmic story. Hopefully this book does well and she gets another one in the future with a more cosmic angle.

guh. did it have to be Nick Fury jr?

First of, I don‘t like the art, looks like photos with a PS filter slapped on top. Personally I love more cartoony work, or at least some approach were I can see personality of the artist.
    The story itself was ok, not sure about why Sue would work for the CIA though.
    Overall Waid set everything up smoothly, great scene setting and recapturing the FF and their relationship Some amusing parts, too.
    Overall not great for me, but mostly because of the art. Story is fine, no burner but average superhero food.

I liked it.

Powerful woman!

sue.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."