Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1

    Default Shuri Appreciation: Princess of Wakanda (2019)

    Noticed there wasn't a 2019 Shuri thread, so here we go.

    You can check out the previous Shuri thread here: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...Wakanda-(2018)

  2. #2

    Default

    Shuri’s book concluded, via issue 10 yesterday

    Very hit or miss overall, with lots of misssteps along the way imho. Curious on how / if other writers will match Shuri’s portrayal to how she was in her book.

  3. #3
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,846

    Default

    The interesting thing is that they clearly had the option to sort of completely synergize the comic version with the MCU version by depowering her but they didn't go that route. If anything they actually powered her up. Now she can add size/strength to her powerset... which is something she argaubly was missing to a degree since a lot of her abilities were more defensive or used for transportation. Now she's got a bit of extra offense to add to the many defensive options she already has, making her a more well rounded character.

    I guess the compromise now will be her having the MCU personality (rather than the Griot personality or her previous characterization we saw under previous writers) but with her Griot powers. Glad she at least kept those. Her just being a tech person overlaps too much with T'Challa IMO.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The interesting thing is that they clearly had the option to sort of completely synergize the comic version with the MCU version by depowering her but they didn't go that route. If anything they actually powered her up. Now she can add size/strength to her powerset... which is something she argaubly was missing to a degree since a lot of her abilities were more defensive or used for transportation. Now she's got a bit of extra offense to add to the many defensive options she already has, making her a more well rounded character.
    That new power set surprised the hell out of me. Is it permanent now?

    I guess the compromise now will be her having the MCU personality (rather than the Griot personality or her previous characterization we saw under previous writers) but with her Griot powers. Glad she at least kept those. Her just being a tech person overlaps too much with T'Challa IMO.
    What happens if the MCU goes the direction of the previous comics as far as her personality is concern (unlikely but possible)? Does the comics recalibrate? The MCU is in the Driver’s seat it appears.

  5. #5
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    That new power set surprised the hell out of me. Is it permanent now?



    What happens if the MCU goes the direction of the previous comics as far as her personality is concern (unlikely but possible)? Does the comics recalibrate? The MCU is in the Driver’s seat it appears.
    As far as I know it's permanent. I think it basically means she can draw the power from any previous Wakandan in that memory place. So they can really add powers to her anytime someone wants to.

    As far as the MCU version goes... I could imagine down the line when Chad is ready to move on after doing a trilogy of movies, maybe Shuri (who is played by a younger actor) taking up the mantle. If that were the case (and of course we're speaking hypothetically), I think she likely would adapt a version of the character we see under Hudlin, Maeberry, and Hickman. The younger teen version she plays now works very well, but not necessarily if she were to end up a lead. And I'm sure the comics to some degree would recalibrate if it needed too... though we're talking a decade or more down the line. So there's plenty of time to gradually pull it off, if it's needed.

  6. #6

    Default

    Shuri was heavily featured in Ironheart #9.

    That was the best blend of Comics Shuri and MCU Shuri since Rise of the Black Panther. Kudos to Eve Ewing. Hoping this continues across the board.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 08-14-2019 at 05:41 PM.

  7. #7

  8. #8
    U Got Me Str8 Trippin Boo nj06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,085

    Default

    Glad to see an appreciation thread for Shuri. She has certainly been thru a few changes since her debut but I've always liked her and I am pleased that her live-action MCU counterpart was well received. Her recent solo was very hot or miss as stated already, but I hope we get more Shuri down the way.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

  9. #9
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,846

    Default

    It was cool to see her in Invaders. It was a minor scene, but the fact that Shuri is the smart person the Avengers are relying on to try and solve their dilema, as opposed to say Stark or Reed, is a statement in and of itself.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Eve Ewing was the writer.
    Thank you, her name slipped my mind. Will edit my previous post!
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 08-14-2019 at 05:56 PM.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Glad to see an appreciation thread for Shuri. She has certainly been thru a few changes since her debut but I've always liked her and I am pleased that her live-action MCU counterpart was well received. Her recent solo was very hot or miss as stated already, but I hope we get more Shuri down the way.
    I think Shuri will be okay, comics wise. Coates seems to hang of her despite the recent MCU changes and Eve Ewing did a very good job at blending both versions. A good amount of “old school” Shuri was in that issue for sure.

    Crossing my fingers that this trend continues, especially if the Shuri book ever comes back.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 08-14-2019 at 05:50 PM.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It was cool to see her in Invaders. It was a minor scene, but the fact that Shuri is the smart person the Avengers are relying on to try and solve their dilema, as opposed to say Stark or Reed, is a statement in and of itself.

    Also happy to see Shuri and T’Challa working together in the sciences. The MCU needs to show that, especially in T’Challa’s case.

  13. #13

    Default



    This made me smile.

  14. #14

    Default

    Very interesting preview pages from Black Panther #16.







    Combine Shuri in the Black Panther book and the Ironheart book and it’s safe to say that “Hardline” Shuri is back. The portrayal from the “Shuri” book seems almost obsolete and doesn’t fit, it seems.

    Also curious on what Shuri will do in the BP book.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 09-21-2019 at 12:29 PM.

  15. #15
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    Very interesting preview pages from Black Panther #16.







    Combine Shuri in the Black Panther book and the Ironheart book and it’s safe to say that “Hardline” Shuri is back. The portrayal from the “Shuri” book seems almost obsolete and doesn’t fit, it seems.

    Also curious on what Shuri will do in the BP book.
    I get why she's unhappy about Wakanda entering into a conflict with a galactic Empire. Wakanda aside, it's potentially endangering the entire planet.

    Likely not the stance an MCU Shuri would take. It'll be interesting to see which version ultimately sticks, cause right now she's somewhat all over the place.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •