Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default How would you fix the Robins and Batgirls' origins in a new modern timeline?

If you were to reset it all with the Batfamily of your choices now, what would you do about their origins, pasts, and transitions Cause let's face it, some of them either don't make sense, or get retconned badly/too many times, too late, or too redundant, or doesn't fit with the era anymore, or stepped all over each other.
    Last edited by nhienphan2808; 07-04-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Fantastic Member

The only way to fix and have all of the Robins/Batgirls origins requires aging Bruce.

Otherwise, if you're going to have a late 20's/early thirties Bruce...

Dick started as Robin when he was 15/16 and Bruce was 24. Transitioned to Nightwing when he was 19 and Bruce was 26.
    Jason starts as robin here at 16. Is Robin for two years before dying. Making Bruce 28 and Nightwing 21.
    One year passes. Tim Drake Comes on the scene. Original origin. Is Robin.
    Jason returns after one year.

The Girls:

Babs started as Batgirl same time as Dick. Became Oracle around 19/20. Cassandra takes over shortly around the time Tim shows up. Stephanie remains spoiler.

Status Quo is then

Bruce is 32ish.
    Dick/Babs are 24/25ish as Nightwing/Oracle.
    Jason is 21 as Red Hood.
    Tim/Cass/Steph are 15-17ish as Robin, Batgirl, and Spoiler.

Keep bruce under 33 requires removing damian, harper, and duke.

I also stand firmly behind the position that Damian undermines every other side kick by his nature as a blood relative of Bruce. The character has been written well numerous times and I have nothing personally against the character, but having the son of Batman sidelines every other character as less important.

Dick has really only become an issue because circuses are simply practically extinct in the modern day (barring exceptions like Cirque du Soleil). Otherwise, he starts at about 9 or so, and goes on, then Jason pops up, then Tim, and yes even little Damian.

Incredible Member

All of the origins are fine and none of them need to be updated in any way.

Fantastic Member

All of the origins are fine and none of them need to be updated in any way.
    Really?

Mine :

Dick is top Olympic acrobat athlete, starts at 12.
    Jason is the post crisis one and his fights with Bruce are more about the system and police, sort of like in Titans and he brings real arguments rather than anger. Death by misfortune.
    Babs is not as accquainted with the Bruce and Dick. She is not shot by the Joker but some other that's out of Bruce's reach when she was doing her own thing, because Joker killing both her and Jason makes everyone else ugly.
    Tim found and rescued out-of-comission Babs and discovered Batman and Robin's identity through knowing her, because obsession with Dick Grayson or rescuing Batman and Nightwing makes 0 sense when you try to say he's smart and not a Mary Sue. When he meets Bruce and Dick regarding Babs, he has it in mind that Batman needs someone like her but he cant be Batgirl so he's Robin. But Babs become Oracle after, so he gradually realise his own role.
    Steph is his friend and also doing her own thing until she meets Babs and she become Batgirl.
    After a while Bruce and Tim made Steph stop because danger when Cass come in, she continues as Spoiler.
    Jason never comes back.
    Damian is the normal child with the 80s origin and discovered his heritage only when he went to find his parents.
    Last edited by nhienphan2808; 07-04-2019 at 09:12 PM.

The idea of a Circus isn't quite yet antiquated. Dick coming from one of the last circus' still around still works for now. It not like Haley's has to remain thriving through DC's modern day.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-04-2019 at 09:17 PM.

Fantastic Member

But they are not as easy to use. I always think Dick's origin remained un-updated while Batman's 100x richer is part of why DC is so classist and elitist to him. They also can't write a traditional circus life for him. He was simply not what he could be in the 40s. Owl thing is nice.

I forgot, my Bruce is also not that rich and powerful.

Ringling Bros. only closed down 3 years ago. He's doesn't stay in the circus. Haley's thriving or not isn't really important. The problem starts when people generally don't even know what a circus is.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-04-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

It wouldn't even be that hard to sell the idea that part of the reason the Flying Grayson's were killed was because Haley's was struggling to get by at that point.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by josai21 View Post
    Status Quo is then

Bruce is 32ish.
    Dick/Babs are 24/25ish as Nightwing/Oracle.
    Jason is 21 as Red Hood.
    Tim/Cass/Steph are 15-17ish as Robin, Batgirl, and Spoiler.

Keep bruce under 33 requires removing damian, harper, and duke.
    Jason beeing that much older than Tim/Cass/Steph makes imo not much sense, even in a non compressed timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    It wouldn't even be that hard to sell the idea that part of the reason the Flying Grayson's were killed was because Haley's was struggling to get by at that point.
    It still fits just fine.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member

45 year old Bruce

25-26 year old Dick/Babs

23 year old Jason

17 year old Tim/Cass/Spoiler

15 year old Duke

13 year old Damian

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    It still fits just fine.
    I’m not saying nor suggesting it needs to be changed at all, just that you easily could make if the circus aspect becomes an issue for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    I’m not saying nor suggesting it needs to be changed at all, just that you easily could make if the circus aspect becomes an issue for whatever reason.
    I know, not really directing it at you. Just stating it before people start saying the circus is outdated and doesn't make sense. Neither does anything else in comics so why get so hung up on that aspect?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by nhienphan2808 View Post
    But they are not as easy to use. I always think Dick's origin remained un-updated while Batman's 100x richer is part of why DC is so classist and elitist to him. They also can't write a traditional circus life for him. He was simply not what he could be in the 40s. Owl thing is nice.

I forgot, my Bruce is also not that rich and powerful.
    I'm confuced, I have seen Bruce's parents die the same way 100 times by now, then finding the cave, how much richer is that?

Top Olympic acrobat athlete didn't work for Tim wouldn't work for Dick and robs Dick the "flying" and performance elements.
    Last edited by Rakiduam; 07-04-2019 at 10:54 PM.