Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Now stuntman is a bit better, if all of a sudden Dick came from a family of stunt people I could live with that.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    I'd leave the pre-Crisis origins largely intact. Here's why:

Dick - The Flying Graysons origin is far to iconic to change at this point. He's also quite good as a detective as amply shown pre-New 52. Along with Alfred, he's the glue of the family.
    Jason - The street kid origin works, and making him the "bad boy" of the Robins, as well as the one with the most street smarts, helps set him apart. He was not present at the circus when Dick's parents died.
    Tim - Tim's origin of already being essentially an underage private detective helps set him apart. He's the most cerebral and book smart member of the family, and is at least Dick's equal as an investigator. A much younger Tim was present at the circus the night the Graysons died, per his debut origin. By the time of Tim's introduction, his wealthy father is a widower. I'd keep him dying at some point, though I'd have it be a health issue rather than murder. I'd go with ALS. Able bodied when the Graysons died, wheelchair bound at introduction, succumbs after finding out Tim is Robin and Bruce is Batman. Before he dies, he give his blessing to that. He also lets Tim and Bruce know that Bruce adopting Tim has his blessing.
    Damian - I don't know which origin applied when. I'd just go with the natural conception/birth/aging. He's the snarky, prickly Robin who is covering some jealousy of Dick and Tim.

As I've written before, the adoptions of Dick, Jason, and Tim need to be in place. It helps soften the Bat Jerk characterization, as it shows that Bruce views them first and foremost as sons rather than soldiers. I'd have Dick and Jason both come into Bruce's care around 12. They undergo about a year of training before going out as Robin for the first time. Tim would spend somewhat less time in training, as he'd already been training on his own before the arc that introduced him.

I've seen some comments referring to Tim as stalkerish in the beginning. Detectives are, by definition, nosy and at least a bit stalkerish when pursuing a case. If you are going to say it about Tim, you have to say it about virtually every member of the Bat family, including Gordon and the Gotham PD.
    Tim wasn't a detective just a stalker. he comes across that way because he didn't deduce anything. he completely missed the point of why batman was going off the rails. he had been following them for ages yet he completely failed to deduce that Jason was family.

If they they wanted to show him as a detective then have him find out through all his spying that the reason batman was broken was because he has lost his son not because his sidekick was gone [which was the actual reason]

Unless he did know but was so tactless and selfish that he didn't care which is still a bad look.

I don't know how people are okay with taking out youngster behind his parents back. Doesn't say hero to me.

I feel that characters like Bruce and Damian have little respect for other peoples space but Tim is the only one who gives me Creeper, stalker vibes. After he joined the family he becomes a little less stalkerish but before he came across as a major stalker not a detective .

Only one member of the batfamily was written as stalkerish and that was Tim in his origin. Yes detectives are inquisitive but they don't all come off as stalkerish. It's cool if you find all the bats stalkerish. I only find Tim that way and in a majorly off putting way but like someone else said perhaps it was intentional and meant to be a flaw.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 07-07-2019 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Btw. when it comes to Jason being killed by the Joker, I neither like the original Version where Joker is just lucky to get the drop on Jason nor the new 52 Version where Joker has manipulated everyting from the start, I think it would be nice to find some middleground between both.
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by "middle ground"?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by "middle ground"?
    Having the Joker actually plan to capture Robin, but without him manipulating everything from the start and knowing his and Batmans Identity.

I don't have much of a problem with Dick being from the Circus. Adults still know what a circus is, and we still have families of performers doing street stuff alongside with theatre performances. Big compaties of performers that do gigs between big towns and cities. Well, at least here in my country, I mean. We don't call them circus, but they're almost the same (minus the animals).
    Last edited by Zaresh; 07-08-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Dick being a circus kid matters a bunch to the character these days. WHEN you have to get rid of the word circus, just have him be an acrobat in a Vegas style show or something.

Extraordinary Member

If TBTB felt like they REALLY needed to get rid of the circus angle, I always thought that making him the kid of a pair of married stunt people. Keeps the showbiz angle, the somewhat pre-trained angle, but updates it accordingly. I don't necessarily think it's necessary at this point, but I always just kinda felt this made the most sense if they had to do it.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.