Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Wayward, #1

Writer Jim Zub (SKULLKICKERS, Samurai Jack), penciler Steve Cummings (Legends of the Dark Knight, Deadshot), and color artist John Rauch (INVINCIBLE) team up to create a rich and vibrant Tokyo in WAYWARD. However, this Tokyo just so happens to be filled with monsters of myth and legend laying in wait for one Rori Lane's arrival.
    Rori's a misfit teen who travels halfway across the world from Ireland to make a new home in Japan with her mother. From the get-go there are some cultural adjustments to be made and Rori feels like a fish out of water-but things take a turn for the weird when she begins glimpsing things, creatures, that no one else can see.

Full article here.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Preview's way too small for me to read, but the artwork looks fine (weird transition between pages 3 & 4 though).

Hmm, this was not what I was expecting from Wayward. This feels super cheesy with the guys tearing their faces off to reveal they are horrible monsters. I will wait for reviews to see how it holds up. The art is very good though.

I agree, not really what I was expecting - seems a little lame. But it is a very short preview, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

BANNED

there is a good preview on comics alliance.

this book really looks very good. Don't know very much about jim zub writing, but from the preview I like the premise of the story

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    there is a good preview on comics alliance.

this book really looks very good. Don't know very much about jim zub writing, but from the preview I like the premise of the story
    He hasn't really done anything for the Big 2. I think just the Amanda Waller 1-shot for DC. And I guess a new Disney series for Marvel...

He's done 25+ issues of Skullkickers which is a favorite series of mine. He's also doing a Baldur's Gate and Samurai Jack series. Both IPs I like, but I haven't checked out those books yet (guess Baldurs Gate isnt even out yet), will probably get in trade.

Anyway, I've only read his Skullkickers and the Waller 1-shot. As said, I really like Skullkickers - it's a humorous, action-filled book. Waller 1-shot was more serious and I thought it was "okay" at worst. Point being, I'm not sure how to interpret Wayward. I was thinking it'd be more serious in tone, but it seems like it may be closer to Skullkickers in style? I'll give it a couple issues. But I trust in Zub to provide solid work.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

It was okay, a little cheesy, but the art's still nice. I'll give it a few issues, but. I'm starting to have second thoughts about this series.
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force